Advice please re hind stiffness...plus saddle update

Scarlett 001

Sep 16, 2003
First of all, Skeeter's lameness ended up being a hoof abscess, that had drained by the time the farrier arrived to look at him on Sunday. Skeet is doing fine now in that regard.

You may recall about 3 weeks ago Skeet pulled something in his left hind - after 3 days or so it seemed better. But when the farrier was checking out Skeeter thoroughly on Sunday, he noted he was somewhat stiff and resistant to pick up his left hind leg for him (farrier thought a stiff muscle or something, not hoof). I've been keeping an eye on it. He looks fine walking in arena, but walking on concrete after he steps with that left leg, the hoof kind of slips back a wee bit (half centimeter perhaps, not very much). Looks stiff.

I wondered if he just tweaked (or retweaked) ever so slightly something in that left hind area again, perhaps due to odd walking and such from the abscess last week. Thoughts? I am not really worried yet about this one, but just curious if anyone has any ideas?

Saddle update:
I have an appointment with custom saddle people this weekend! Yikes, I better watch out for a big Visa bill! The only down side is it take 8-12 weeks for new saddle to be ready. But, trying to make myself feel better about the wait - Skeet's back can have a good and thorough rest after that last mess, I can get in some massage, and I can conquer this long reining thing (if he'd just stop being lame for a moment so I can have a lesson!!!). Oh yes, edited to add in I am going to Greece for 2 weeks in early June, so that will let time pass rather nicely! :D Skeeter sure is soaking in the lack of work recently, and loving all the doting visits to check up on him. :D

Last edited:
For general stiffness i've found feeding Feedmark Extraflex HA very successful.
Is he kept out or in?? Sometimes if a stiff horse is kept out side they willkeep themselves moving slowly as they graze which can help alleviate the stiffness. Then again others tend to fare better when kept in where they can't move as much - mayeb try both and see which way works best?
Do you feed oil?? Veg oil is also good for general health and can help with joints etc too.

Good news that you've finally found out what was wrong with him :)

He gets to go out every day doesnt he? If not, I guess regular gentle walking exercise might help to ease the stiffness. I wouldnt worry too much about it, unless hes lame on it as he's an older horse so is bound to have a few aches & pains no matter how young he feels!!!

I hope he enjoys his holiday & that you get your saddle sorted so you can start riding him again :)

Thanks guys. Not sure I made myself clear though. My fault. :) This hind issue is not something "regular" or something he normally has. I mean, yes, he is stiff overall as he is older - but this funny walking with the hoof slipping back and farrier noting a particular stiffness on Sunday beyond normal is something new, that just showed up all of a sudden - like he has pulled something I think (but no heat, swelling etc. so very very minor). He is slightly off at walk on concrete - the hind foot slips back a bit - and just minorly off at trot - barely noticeable.

He is on a regular regime of joint supplements (glucosamine and MSM) and oil.

Last edited:
Scarlett 001 said:
First of all, Skeeter's lameness ended up being a hoof abscess, that had drained by the time the farrier arrived to look at him on Sunday. Skeet is doing fine now in that regard.

You may recall about 3 weeks ago Skeet pulled something in his left hind - after 3 days or so it seemed better. But when the farrier was checking out Skeeter thoroughly on Sunday, he noted he was somewhat stiff and resistant to pick up his left hind leg for him (farrier thought a stiff muscle or something, not hoof). I've been keeping an eye on it. He looks fine walking in arena, but walking on concrete after he steps with that left leg, the hoof kind of slips back a wee bit (half centimeter perhaps, not very much). Looks stiff.

I wondered if he just tweaked (or retweaked) ever so slightly something in that left hind area again, perhaps due to odd walking and such from the abscess last week. Thoughts? I am not really worried yet about this one, but just curious if anyone has any ideas?

My horse is going through the same thing right now. abscess, stiffness, the works. I even call her skeeter some times, how funny:D :p.
I have been focusing a lot on the stiffness because her abscess is almost healed. I have been putting lintament ointment on the stiff areas and handwalking her everyday. she goes in the turnout for 5-10 minutes everyday with polo wraps on all four feet. and she gets a nice fluffy bed. because of the abcess and another injury she isn't being ridden right now but when she is being ridden she does walking and troting just till she isn't stiff anymore, we've been holding off on the canter.:)

newrider.com