Advice on seperation anxiety please.

millys mum

May 18, 2008
, co. durham
My thoroughbred Jack is a total stress head when my mare goes out without him. The other way round he's not so bad eg. If i hack him on his own. I have a lovely lady who rides my mare for me but its such a pain that whenever she wants to ride she has to bring Jack in too. If he doesn't come inside he gallops round the field full pelt, slamming the breaks on at the gate, i'm worried that he's going to really injure himself or jump out. From the minute Milly goes out, he trots round the box, shouting and throwing his head about, this continues until she comes back. We have put another pony in the field with him for company, didn't work. We have put a pony in the barn next to him, makes no difference, have tried just taking Milly out for short periods and bringing her back to him, nothing seems to work, Id really like to help him with his anxiety so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi, I had a similar problem but I couldn't ride Thunder out without Turner - he just wouldn't leave the field, and would threaten to rear. Turner would begrudgingly go out without Thunder but it was Thunder I wanted to ride!

I sent them both away to a friends, who long reigned Thunder while Turner galloped in the field - we didn't lock him away and he just whinnied.

It didn't work out for me and I've had to permanently split them. I kept Thunder and Turner is at my friends but we don't let them meet in case it starts everything off again.

You could try taking the mare for short walks in hand, getting a bit further away/away for a bit longer each time, then coming back. Your boy would get the idea that she'll always come back.

Alternatively, move her to a different location where he can't see her. I imagine you don't want to do this though.

Good luck, bonds can be very VERY strong....;)

IMO the best and easiest cure is to seperate them permanantly.

Sounds like hes pair bonded.

Anway you could have other horses in the field all the time to split his association so to say? A new friend just as you other goes away won't relieve his stress as hes hasn't any bond with them they are just a new stranger and he wants his old mate back.

When i first got vol he was very upset being left by his own - ended up making himself colic. Then tried to buy the right companion for him knowing this would cause issues with bonds and seperation.

I kinda treated it like a dogs seaperation anxiety and at first only took the other horse away (stable wise) for a short amount of time and back - building up the time rather then just a complete shock to the system. At first from both horses we had the whole box walking -bronc round stable- rears and bucks, just the whole total tantrum phase at being left alone.

As long as they are safe(nothing to hurt themselves on) i just ignored them completely and stayed out of visual view. with Voltan i did find sometimes on occassion he was comforted after we built more of a bond by me being there when the other horse left so on occassion i would.

Over time the time seperated has increased and either of the horses waits for the other to return. But i have to admit i never done this with the field always at the stables

I have wondered about this, is he likely to bond with another one just as strongly, and putting him on his own would be difficult at our yard.

He could bond even more strongly, and behave even worse if you try to take his new friend away as he could remember how he felt when the mare went. I don't want to get another in case this happens again.

That's why I can't bring Turner home, once they are back together I run the risk they will strengthen their bond and both will be unable to leave the field without the other as they remember being split up the last time it happened.

Turner is on loan and is being loved and pampered at my friends, so I can see him whenever I want. Thunder is on his own and is more relaxed and spends more time with me now his pal is away. It works for us, thank goodness as I would hate to see him unhappy.

I have wondered about this, is he likely to bond with another one just as strongly, and putting him on his own would be difficult at our yard.

I do find mare gelding bonds to strong from personal experience but thts not to say they all will be. As mare/mare and two geldings can also.

From Voltan and recent light of his different companions and horses that have been on the same yard he seems to get an attachement with them all. Worst for seperation was a mare bond for us. Even tho they hated each other when together?!?!

His new Friend in Odin has worked the best - both accept leaving the other- haven't found since splitting with previous friends to make him any worse

I found what really helped was making my bond more strong with him so he doesn't question leaving his friends? if that makes sense:confused::)

Last edited:
Dylan and J were together, just the two of them, no other horses around for around 3 months. they both went to peices if the other was taken out of the field, although they eventually grew to tolerate being left so long as the other was in sight. Since moving back into a herd, they still both hang around at the gate waiting for the other. To begin with, if i wanted to ride J off the yard I had to stable dylan. he was much happier in the stable on his own than in the field with others (who knows why :rolleyes:). We have now got to a point where dyl is ok being left out with the others. if J is just on the yard, he will call and especially if j is in the stable and so out of sight. If me and J hack, dyl will call when we first leave and when he hears us coming back, but not whilst we're gone.

Baby steps are the best way to approach it I think. Good luck, its not a nice thing to deal with.

as said, little steps and REGULARLY! I've got this prob too but keep working at it and its slowly getting better. Occasionally there is a huge leap backwards in the progression of the process but its something that will take time and we have to grit our teeth and do it.

Just started taking my older gelding out of sight of my 5yo who goes loopy.

My 5yo is a bit of a pig so I sprinkle about 1/4 bucket of chaff along fence line to get his head down, this makes him start to relax.After about 10 mins snuffling around he is still abit agitated,head up calling, head back down grabbing mouthful of grass.After 20 mins more settled no calling just keeping his beady eye on gate.Going to do this a few times a week till he gets over it.

Older gelding luckily has always been ok alone since I've had him,couple of calls and shows over.

Good luck.

newrider.com