Advice on Sarcoid treatment please

Lulah

Feb 14, 2008
The marshlands of Essex
Hello everyone. My friend and I have just become the proud loanees of a 12 year old Fell pony. He has a large sarcoid at the top inside of his right hind, in his groin really. It is a big solid mass with a couple of "nodules" as well. It is completely covered with normal skin and hair, apart from a slightly scaly area. The skin is not broken anywhere. It has been like this for at least the last 18 months without any change. His owner took him on because he was going to be pts because of the sarcoid which previous owner had allowed to get so big without any treatment. The sarcoid does not appear to cause him any discomfort and he can do normal light ridden work. The only thing we need to do differently is that we don't fasten any leg straps on rugs as they could rub the sarcoid - instead they just go across under his tail like a fillet string.

We took him on loan fully aware of the issues of course. Naturally we have been doing a lot of research into sarcoids. His owner does not want him to have any conventional veterinary treatment for it and I can understand why - it's so big that it would seem better to just leave alone and hope it stays the same for as long as possible. He has been examined by more than one vet who recommended leaving it alone too.

Quite a few people have mentioned giving him supplements that can help with sarcoids and also boosting his immune system with natural/herbal remedies. We don't want anything that you actually apply to the sarcoid, just feed supplements. I was considering giving him Thuja tablets but have now read of someone's experience using these and they changed the nature of the sarcoid, which then burst - which was what that individual wanted (this could of course have been coincidence and nothing to do with the Thuja). Obviously we do not want that to happen!

Does anyone have a similar experience and what would you recommend giving him in the way of supplements, if anything? Is it better to ignore the sarcoid (keep an eye on it for changes obviously but not feed anything specific) and just make sure he has a good diet and a happy life? I'm quite confused and would appreciate any advice. We just want what's best for the pony and to enjoy our time with him - we love him to bits already and he's only been with us two weeks!
Thanks for reading this.

If disturbed, sarcoids can become extremely aggressive. I would honestly advise you to leave it alone if the horse isn't in discomfort.
Global Herbs make a product called SarcEx (or something like that) and I've never used it, but the global herbs' stuff is, on the whole, very good. :)
Be sure to check with the owner before starting anything and good luck with your new pony!

I've had no experience with sarcoids, but I know thuja is unlikely to help it. Thuja is used as a homoeopathic remedy for warts and veruccas.

we had a gelding with a sarcoid a few years ago that we used Global Herbs Sarcex (think thats what it was called)

It did reduce in size but we didn't have him that long to see if it worked completely or not - but cant help but to try.

My mare had quite a few smallish sarcoids about a year ago, the vet advised removing them, his initial thought was Liverpool cream (£300 ish :eek: ), but as he was taking pictures of them he thought we'd give lamb castration bands a try :eek:. All went and none have returned.

But as your vet is aware of them and has advised to leave them alone, then that's what I'd do in your circumstances.

My old horse had sarcoids. Tried thuja, both tablets and cream, and nothing happened, though I know some people get good results from it. Tried Global Herbs Sarcex and they did change slightly, but nothing dramatic. So I gave up as they weren't causing any problems.

What did get rid of them was Global Herbs Skratch! I put him on it one summer to minimise fly bites as he used to rip off the sarcoid between his front legs when the flies got at it and irritated it, which made it worse. One summer on that and they all completely disappeared!

our vet used a cream like Liverpool cream but nothing like the price - the sarcoid on Ferguson's leg came off within two to three weeks. There was then a problem with it growing over again very scabby/proud skin but what i did was take the scab off, so that it was pink flesh underneath, and used Barrier Hygiene Hoof to Heel mudfever cream on it twice a day, plastered it on as it has a lot of natural oils in it.

This made the skin grow back perfectly fine and you wouldn't know he had had the sarcoid. He has a lot of t hem, but this was the only one which began to spread/get aggressive.

I can't remember the name of the cream they used, but it wasn't anything like that expensive, it is used for cancer treatment, so you have to apply it with gloves on etc, but it worked like a treat. his sarcoid was small, about the size of a 50p but it had begun to grow and bleed.

newrider.com