Advice on putting two yearlings with a gelding

BridgetteM

Sep 3, 2021
Hi everyone!

First time posting, so not sure if this is in the right place!! - Sorry if its not!

Just wanting a bit of advice if possible, I have a laid back 6 year old arab gelding, who is at the moment by himself, which he doesnt mind, and he also doesnt mind company.

I was thinking of buying two Akhal Teke x yearling fillies ( I know the breeder :)! ).

Would this be an alright mix of horses age wise? I was wondering maybe the youngsters will play together, but still maybe learn some manners with my gelding, even though hes not nasty at all.

They would be kept at home :).

Thanks so much,

Bridgette

Hello and welcome. Two akhal-tekes and an Arab, what a beautiful mix!

I am sure the fillies would play with each other. I have put a yearling with an old Arab and the yearling harassed the old boy mercilessly to get him to play, but a 6 yo should be able to look after himself, I would have thought.

Sounds like a perfect set-up to me! The girls will have each other to play with but the gelding will be the more mature influence and will keep them in check if they overstep the mark.

Sounds like a perfect set-up to me! The girls will have each other to play with but the gelding will be the more mature influence and will keep them in check if they overstep the mark.

I completely agree with this.

newrider.com