Advice on keeping youngster entertained and healthy during box rest

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
My little'un has had his rig op, and I now need to keep him entertained on what will probably be the longest week in his life..
He's allowed walking on concrete, and not on muddy areas, or to become a luney tune:giggle:

If he's feeling a bit sorry for himself you may find he doesn't need much entertaining, at least for the first few days. Give him some hay & quiet & see if he settles, he may surprise you.

If he doesn't then can you give him some company? Another horse that he can talk to may help a lot, as will any time you can spend with him. Break up his day with small walks once he's well enough & if he's allowed a little grazing in hand I'm sure he'll be your friend for life!

If all else fails & he gets very stressed it may be worth asking your vet for some Sedalin, after all it's only for a few days.

echo carthorse, also maybe tie some toys up round the stable to? Boys like things they can nudge and play rough with, so maybe a bottle filled with stones or something? A good mineral lick is a must too

newrider.com