Advice on cruppers please

DITZ

Dec 31, 2002
Visit site
My damned saddle is slipping forwards again. I've tried various saddle and remedial pads all of which help but I'm worried its still catching slightly. When I saddle up its perfect but as soon as you do anything other than walk the saddle moves forwards and starts to rub. Its only a winter thing (I hope) when he changes shape but he has no shoulders to speak of and high withers which is a bad combination.

I have called the saddler who firstly suggested a thicker pad (?) and then a wider gullet (?) but I am now thinking that the only thing that is going to do it is a crupper. I've heard bad things about them so this was really my last resort. Has anyone got any experience of them? I heard a leather one isnt so bad. THe saddler wont be coming out for another week.

What bad things have you heard? The vast majority of harness has cruppers. All you need to be careful of is that it doesn't rub the horse, and it shouldn't if it's soft, clean and well fitting.

I had a pony on loan as a kid that had the same problems with shape, and he had a crupper. We never had any problems and the saddle stayed put too.

Watch for rubbing when you first use it, since the skin around the dock is very easy to irritate, and give your horse a chance to get used to the idea before you ride him out. But to be honest, I'd ask your saddler's advice first, even if it means waiting the extra week.

I heard that they can rub the tail/dock to the bone especially the nylon ones.

I dont have much faith in my saddler as bad as it sounds. It was through her insisting I use a polypad that caused this. I didnt use one last winter even though she told me to and i had no problems. When I told her i hadnt used one she went barmy but it was the worst thing i could have done.

Don't know about nylon, I've never used one. My pony's was leather, and all the harness I've used has been leather. i think if you make sure you're careful about cleanliness and fit you shouldn't have a problem. Give him time to get used to it and let the skin harden a bit and it shouldn't rub.

Bad news about the saddler! Is there another in your area you could consult?

Use a linseed filled leather one and make sure you run your finger down each side of the dock to clear the hair away so it doesn't get caught - can cause kicking. L

Chev - no apparently shes the only one in the area who does wintecs. Never mind, have booked her out anyway. I'll wait till she comes before I do anything but she sounded baffled on the phone so I think I will end up with one. At least its only for the winter - I hope.

IN the meantime I think I'll have to ride bareback. Eeekk!! Its like sitting on a fence!!

Any tips on riding a bony TB bareback anyone?

The Spanish Riding School use cruppers!

We use them too with all our horses....'cept Cymro.

The reason being that sometimes Icelandic shapes can mean the saddle does move forward. If an inexperienced tourist is half way down a steep slope and the saddle starts to slip they often don't notice until it's too late, a crupper makes all the difference.

They are always leather, the driving ones are linseed stuffed, but they don't have to be, just keep the poo off them, clean them with a soap and a light oil and they won't rub if adjusted properly.

I make them if you get stuck for larger sized ones....they can be a bit difficult to find on the shelf.

Libbys Tack do a webbing one too, we used it a few times when Rio was a fatty and Nat was riding without problems, the tail loop has neoprene padding and seemed comfy. Just beware of their sizing, the cobs in Devon must all be very long backed:rolleyes:

just to add (and correct me if i'm wrong) we have a lot of show ponies on the yard and try getting a good saddle to sit on a barrell, however cruppers ARE NOT permitted in any showing classes at any level (or so we are told) but they seem to do just the trick when they are just pottering about at home.

Welll they are certainly used on every Shetland pony in county level shows! M&M class and WHP with Shetlands!

They are almost always used with Portuguese saddles and you would be incorrectly turned out when showing a Luso in the Portuguese dress classes if you didn't use one.

I've used one on Safi for yonks and never had a resistance problem - firstly to keep her training roller in place and then to help with a saddle slipping issue. I have both a webbing (everyday) one and a lovely fancy leather one to match her PTG saddle. As others have said - just make absolutely sure there are no hairs trapped and as with all tack - keep it nice and clean and supple.

newrider.com