advice needed re loaning my fjord.....

cassiebird

Jul 4, 2009
hertfordshire
he is 2 years 2 months old and a real sweetheart. He is currently 13hh, his sire is 13h2 and his dam (who I own) is 14h1. |He is an absoloutely lovely boy and it breaks my heart but things circumstances have changed and I need to find him someone who can give him the time and attention that he needs.

My question is.....in all honesty do you think anyone would loan him? I really dont want to sell him but not sure if there will be any other choice?

I think loaning a youngster will be rather tricky as people will assume that you are using them to back him for free then will take him back when he's going nicely.

Why do you want to loan him? It if's only a time thing I'd be inclined to hang on to him til next year when you've got him backed then loan him as a ridden horse on a really tight loan contract. My 2 year old barely takes up any time - he's quite happy being in the field with his friends, just being a horse. I pull him out between 1 and 3 times a week and that's plenty for him right now.

There are people out there who would bite your hand off.. recently there was some one looking for a youngster to loan, one they could bring on themselves, so you might be lucky..

Just be careful though, there are also people scamming others, and your horse may 'disappear'.. if some one approaches you, do your ground work, visit the yard, speak to the yard owner, ask 2 witnesses to give you character statements on the potential loanee (including YO).

I know the chances of this happening are slim, but it's just not worth it, as the distress of a owner who's horse has been stolen just doesn't bare thinking about:frown:

Ive got a 2YO fjord gelding. Hes gorgeous and Im finding this time in his life very exciting. Hes on the very beginings of the road to life. That which he learns now will hold for his future. He can be an absolute angel and a blooming idiot.Bless him.

Id find it really hard to give him up for loan just now. Hugs to you if its a neccessity. But like others have said before, be very careful as to who you would loan to, and keep visiting. If you want to chat about the "terrible twos" feel free.

Wouldn't think it would be easy to loan a 2yr old out unless someone specifically wanted a companion for a youngster.After all why would anyone rear & break a youngster if it is liable to be reclaimed by owner.Be very careful as you could easily get someone who would break & ride him as a two yr old,leaving you with the problems when you get him back.

TBH think this is probably one of your easiest times with him, as somebody
else has said he doesn't 'need' to be doing much at the moment, just
some general handling, you don't 'have' to back him as a 3 year old.

If you decide to loan him out or find somebody that is interested in loaning you really do need to do your homework and make sure that they are
knowledgeable and trustworthy remembering that whatever they 'do' with
him now will leave its mark for the future.

I am sure there are people out there who would love to have him but do you want YOUR Horse being
somebody elses guinea pig if they haven't had a Youngster before?

Sorry to hear you might have to part with one of your ponies CB, hope everything's ok and you can find an arrangement to fit with your situation. Sorry no bright ideas here, just some words of encouragement hopefully, fingers crossed you can get something sorted out.

Personally there's no way I'd loan a pony I couldnt ride for possibly 2 years and would then have to back, turn it away, then bring it back into work..go through all the thrills and heartache of bringing on a young horse, take all the risks on the road, 1st hacks, put all the work in with schooling etc if it could be taken away at a month's notice once he is going well because the owner's situation improved.

Would break my heart! I found it difficult when I shared horses. When I had to give them up I always felt rubbish as I worked so hard with them and when they're coming on so well it's hard to let go.

Cant imagine many experienced people would want to put all that work in with a youngster when a) they cant sell the pony for profit or b) enjoy him for the rest of his life.

You might find someone kind who wants to do it as a project as something to do but imagine it being very hard to find someone knowledgeable enough to do a good job.

Personally if I had a youngster I couldnt give the time and attention and couldnt afford to keep until he was backed, I think i would do my best to find him a kind, knowledgeable and experienced home for life.

Really hard decision to make though :( . I dont envy you at all. Best of luck x

Thanks for your replies, the situation is that I am having major difficulties with some people on the yard, the issue is that Cass and Alf were in a field of their own, everybody and everything fine, then Cass got LGL which meant she had to be stabled, Afl went in with two mares (own by the same lady), it was originally just until Cass was better but after discussion with Vet and YO I decidied to keep Cass on stable livery and Alf on grass. The YO decided that Alf would stay in with the two mares, and Cass gone in with the only other two horses that come in everynight. There is plenty of grass, room and all get on really well. The problems have arisen as the owner of the two mares through an absoloute fit at having to have Alf in 'her' field as did the two stabled horses owners. They also threw a fit saying that Cass is permanently in season (she is not!!) and that it wouldnt work. One of the stabled horses owners has been my friend for 11 years and Cass was in with him at our old yard!!!! After I tried to resolve the issues (I really dont think I have done a thing wrong!!!) she told me that she 'has to talk to me about the horses but does not have to interact with me on a personal level:stomp: I was so upset to which she said 'thats it, you are such a 'victim'!!! Well if you mean I had to change things to help my horse then although Victim is not a word I would use, I suppose I am given that 3 people are totally ignoring me at the yard, my lovely poo picking man quit as there were so much sillyness. I did explain to them that where/who my horses go with is not my decision but the yard owners but to no avail.... Ive given up now as feel like I'm banging my head on a brick wall. I have looked around for somewhere else to move them to but given that I need two different types of livery there isnt anywhere local. I'm not quite ready to sell Alf so will just put up with the yard politics.
I am just worried that at the moment he hardly ever comes out of his field although I see him twice a day. When I am at the yard I just want to get away again! He doesnt seem to be bothered at all but I feel like I am neglecting him. :help:

hold up a second, some stupid, childish women are the reason you want to loan out your youngster?! where is your YO in all this? i think they need to come in and bang some heads!! no-one should force your hand and make you feel like you need to loan out horses just to sort yard politics. These women ought to be ashamed of themselves. is there no way alf and cass could go back in together? is there any way you could fence off a small pen for cass? that way alf would have company and cass would be restricted? laminitics are better coming in during the day anyway (grass at night has lower fructans, so restrict during day and let roam free at night :) ). our laminitic mare had a small dirt pen where she spent her days (with hay, toys etc.) and then she got into the big field at night.

as Wally says, it's so easy to ruin a horse at that age. my concern is getting someone who's experienced enough not to mess up such a crucial stage. i personally wouldn't take on a 2 year old on loan as i'd be putting in a lot of work later on just to hand the horse back to the owner.

Thanks for the advice and I know the right thing is to keep him with me, Life is just sooooo miserable at the yard although I am learning to just completely ignore them although it is hard!!!! My original post was made is a moment of desperation trying to find answers or an escape route, In my heart I know I cant sell him and there are too many risks associated with loaning him, I suppose that in an ideal world there would be someone that just wanted him as a companion for a while.

I might have a word with the yard manager about putting them back together with her sectioned off during the day and out at night, can I just ask from what time in the evening could she be allowed back in the main field? Just trying to work out work and horses, life was easy when they lived out 24 hrs before this episode, Obviously at this time there is nobody on the yard who would help out. The women who was my 'friend' and I would help each other if needed.

The yard manager has been really good to me over the last couple of years what with one thing and another and I think she has been put into a very difficult position as the others are doing as she says by having my two in with theirs so she can't really be responsible for how they treat me. Her priority is that the horses get on with each other and not the people. She isnt based on our yard so she doesnt see the affects day to day. Thanks eventbabe for saying it how it is, I just needed to hear it for myself. :redface:

*hugs* that sounds so stressful! I really hope you can come up with a solution that allows you to have your two back in a field of your own again! Any chance you could buy a field shelter for your field, fence a "corral" in front of it and churn the grass in it away to nothing and shut her in there during the day time with soaked hay?

What's LGL? sorry to seem a bit thick, just don't know the abbreviation..
Don't let the other liveries get to you, because if they were in the same boat, they'd expect you to comply:wink:

What's LGL?

LGL is low grade Laminitis :)

Cassiebird, i would be tempted to ask for your old field back, with a fenced off "starvation paddock" for her for during the day, with a bit of soaked hay, and then let her out into the main bit in an evening 6/7 (ish), to roam the field with the 2 year old, that way you can keep them both as her diet dictates, but also keep yourself to yourself, with out having to put up with the crap from the others.

Try not to let it get to you ... even though its hard, it won`t be long til things settle and it`ll be forgotten **hugs**

newrider.com