Advice needed please

Pixie

Nov 10, 2001
Bucks
Visit site
Although I am a serial lurker, I do come on here everyday for a good read of all new posts, so I feel like you guys will be able to offer me some helpful advice.

My situation is this: I currently have a horse (Pink) who is 20 and has intemittent laminitis attacks, her last one was in the snow last year when she had just come off box rest from a ligament injury and started being turned out for a couple of hours a day and came down with lami, vet seemed to think it was shock induced from a change in routine and sudden snow on ground. Obviously she was box rested again during her recovery and proceeded to having gradual turnout by the spring and went on to being out about 8-9 hours a day with a muzzle on throught the summer. She is not overweight but i do muzzle her from feb/march to about late oct so she doesnt gorge too much and get too much sugar. So she has been stabled overnight for about the last 6 years.
I also have a small pony for my girls and have been bringing him in overnight since about october cos I am soft with him but i am going to try him out 24/7 again.
I am struggling financially at the moment and need to cut my costs abit so I was thinking if they both lived out then my bedding costs would be a big saving.
So the question is do you think my horse could cope living out and would it be too much of a shock to her system and likely to induce another attack of lami? I have her on lami supplement all year round and she is really well in herself at the moment but i don't want to do anything that might end up costing me more money in the long run!! The vet is coming to do their jabs in the next couple of weeks so I was going to ask his advice too but wondered if any of you guys had similar experiences with yours.
Cookies and wine to all of you who got to the end!!

my lami pone is back out 24/7

we monitor her very closely and weigh tape religioustly at the same time every week and check for pulses and heat, and any changes in mood etc so i know if her tootsies are hurting

The vet didn't do test for cushings as he was worried it would induce lami as have to inject steroid, but he thought she may be cushingoid, so he put her on peroglide for about 5 months and we noticed no changes at all so he said to take her off them. I have her on Global Herbs Lami-prone supplement all year round and that seems to help her. i have her on very low sugar/high fibre diet. Have included picture so you can judge condition yourselves.
pinkclipnov2.jpg

I do have rubber mats but Pink will not lay down unless a good layer of bedding and I feel mean if she doesn't lay down!

Can you switch to cheaper bedding? Or rougher grazing?

You no longer inject steroid for cushiness test - just a blood sample.

You can try her out and just keep a very close eye on her. How does she cope without shoes? I suspect you would be able to manage it earlier without shoes, though thats dependant on the horse

It's a difficult question as each horse is different - if you are going to try it, I would suggest (and this is just IMO) that you muzzled during the day to keep her sugar in take low as your grazing looks very green!

What lovely colouring...she is scrummy :biggrin:

How wet/dry is your land, could you make a track system to limit grass but keep her moving, supplement with hay if and when necessary.

Hard to tell how she will adapt to staying out, but all my lot live out no problem and some of them came from homes where they were part stabled.

newrider.com