Advice for first-time lease?

lindsay_314

Jun 27, 2020
Tri-Cities, TN, USA
Hi all,

Next week I sign the half least papers for my first horse ever! His name is Brady and he is part Quarter Horse and part Tennessee Walking Horse, about 22 years old; basically your standard grouchy old man schoolmaster gelding. I started riding him in my lessons last year and he has stolen my heart like I never expected. This year my company announced a company-wide raise so leasing is now in the budget! This boy is still at my barn and will be used for other lessons, but he will be mine for 13 days a month :) I can't believe it's happening and I'm so excited!

Any advice for a first-time leaser?

Also, a pic of me and this silly boy:

tempImage1zbZZm.jpg

He sounds great for a first time lease, old and wise and will teach you tons šŸ˜
I wouldnā€™t worry about anything given heā€™s at your Riding School, as that means youā€™ll have plenty of support around should you get stuck with something. If itā€™s your first time riding without instruction you might find a book of ridden exercises helpful for inspiration in the arena, itā€™s funny how lost you can suddenly feel without someone telling you what to do.
Enjoy the journey and keep us updated, we like to hear how people get on šŸ˜

Reactions: carthorse
He has a lovely goofy face. How did you get him to stick his tongue out for the picture??

It sounds like a great set up for your first horse, you'll have all the support you need and he'll be assured of good care and stay in a familiar environment. Great! Keep us posted!

My old share was similar. You need to think about what you will need to do for yourself which previously was done for you. And ask for or pay for the necessary instruction. For me I needed to pick out her feet and tack her up.
I was at a RS where the manege was a fair walk from the stable yard so I was used to leading her and to leading where there was motor traffic. Leading and ground work are skills in themselves and I think well worth having. A horse must halt when it comes to a junction where you dont have right of way. You must also learn to lead so that the horse doesnt try to put its head down and eat from the verge. You cant win a tug of war with a horse but you can teach them to walk nicely with you with a loop in the lead rope.
My first share was wonderful and when the old mare retired, I already had the experience to ride solo and to share another horse. I hope you too have a good time.

Last edited:
It sounds like a great arrangement. He'll still have the security of a familiar environment - you avoid the "joy" of an unsettled horse because of a change of home - and he'll probably love the reduced workload. You get to have him as your own for set days and can do more or different things than you would in a lesson with a horse that you already think the world of. I hope you have lots of fun together :)

newrider.com