Adults competing on Ponies

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
I am looking for another event for me and Cally. The arena eventing where we competed yesterday has now finished as it's the start of the BE season (starts at 90cm, er no thanks!) But there is beginner and novice evening showjumping which sounds perfect. 55 - 75 cm courses. But when I read the rules it says no-one over 16 can ride a pony - defined as up to and including 14.2. That rules Cally and me out.:(:(

Why is that? And is it a common rule? If they don't want adults competing against kids they can always split the classes. Very disappointed as the venue is great and is within an hour. Don't want to start trekking all over the country!

Hi @KP nut normally unaffiliated at most places it doesn't seem to matter they just split kids and adults which I think is a lot fairer, why should you have to ride a horse just because your over 16, daft!

I think it's because people think it's an advantage and unfair as ponies are usually quicker and can turn on a six pence. Maybe you could call the venue and see what they say? How big is Cally? You might be able to get away with it if she's a decent 14.2hh.

I know Beaver Hall do showjumping on a Wednesday night, I think they start in late April/May, and they just split kids and adults so you would be fine there.

It's a Bsja rule that's been rolled out I think. Basically Bsja when I was doing ponies was 128cm and under rider 12 and under, 138cm and under rider 14 and under and 148cm and under rider 16 years and under, it's the blooming rule that stopped me being able to compete my absolute fav all time pony even though at 5,3 I wasn't too big for him :-( I did indoor unaff opens for a while as they had no height age limit but as soon as I turned 17 our competing together became restricted and I moved on the horses. You may be able to compete HC which obviously means you can't be placed but if it's the experience for Cally your after and the venue is local. x

You can compete ponies in BJSA senior classes against horses, they just have to be registered as a horse. Then if you want to compete as a pony again measured to prove height and downgraded. The only problem is the strides, as the are set up for horses which can causes problems. Good idea about competing HC.

You can compete ponies in BJSA senior classes against horses, they just have to be registered as a horse. Then if you want to compete as a pony again measured to prove height and downgraded. The only problem is the strides, as the are set up for horses which can causes problems. Good idea about competing HC.
Mine had a height certificate and was well known as a 14.2 so the stupid rule totally stopped us in our tracks:-( I'm guessing with Cally being a fell she will be around the 13.2 mark so tbh you would struggle to jump her as a over 14.2hh IMO as said above the jumps would be set up differently and as she's young you really need lots of positive experiences for her. x

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
I wouldn't be disheartened though as some shows do kids classes then novice, rider over 16, intermediate, rider over 16 and open, rider over 16 classes they will still be lots out there you and Cally can do, you will just have to keep your eyes peeled. I love ponies and they are definitely worth the extra effort to find the classes you can do. x

@tikkitti aww that's a shame :oops: you can defiantly register a pony as a horse and compete though although I think there is a new rule they have to be over 14hh. I know people who have had very successful ponies they haven't outgrown so registered as a horse and competed in the senior classes, it just became a problem when the height went up, ponies then sold on to do junior tracks again.

Ponies defiantly were the extra time, and she is a lovely pony. Not sure where about you are but as Beaver Hall and Eland are close, is Alsager Equestrian? They do jumping on a Thursday night and pretty sure adults can ride on ponies although you'd have to check.

I don't know how strict they will be. She definitely looks like a pony though. Pony head, pony ears, pony character!
It seems a daft rule at that level. Ponies and horses both compete in the same classes so the stride length issue is irrelevant. My girls can take her round but I won't be allowed to. A friend with a 15hh mother daughter share will have the same issue: she can't ride the horse till she is 13 and she is only 11.

@tikkitti aww that's a shame :oops: you can defiantly register a pony as a horse and compete though although I think there is a new rule they have to be over 14hh. I know people who have had very successful ponies they haven't outgrown so registered as a horse and competed in the senior classes, it just became a problem when the height went up, ponies then sold on to do junior tracks again.

Ponies defiantly were the extra time, and she is a lovely pony. Not sure where about you are but as Beaver Hall and Eland are close, is Alsager Equestrian? They do jumping on a Thursday night and pretty sure adults can ride on ponies although you'd have to check.
Maybe the ruling was the same at the time but my mother decided to withhold that snippet of info, however the pony I'm talking about wasn't far off being ja so maybes my mum felt I was holding him back. My ja mare was instantly sold once I was out of ponies but my gelding( who I'd of happily kept and happy hacked I held onto for a little while then parted with him) One thing I do know is I will never find another him:-( I could cry at the sight of dun horses/ponies when I think of him, he was definitely special) xx

Reactions: Lissie
I don't know how strict they will be. She definitely looks like a pony though. Pony head, pony ears, pony character!
It seems a daft rule at that level. Ponies and horses both compete in the same classes so the stride length issue is irrelevant. My girls can take her round but I won't be allowed to. A friend with a 15hh mother daughter share will have the same issue: she can't ride the horse till she is 13 and she is only 11.
Have you enquired about jumping HC?x

@tikkitti ahh what a shame :(

It is a totally daft rule! Why should you miss out, personally Id be doing what @Jane&Ziggy suggested, if she's 14.2 just say she's 14.3, I doubt they'd question it and measure her :rolleyes:

Reactions: tikkitti
I do mini 60cm classes and kids, adults, ponies and horses all ride together. I would mention it to the venue if you really want to ride there.

Me too I totally agree, if she is 14.2 just put her through as a horse, I've seen ponies that look 14.3 with a height certificate competing in 148cm and under ( so it's hard to tell exactly by eye, although some people do alsorts to get them under the stick) I would just say she was 14.3 and plead unaware if anyone asked, what does her passport say? Although tbh that's only a estimated height so isn't set in stone. xx

Tbh we call our fell a horse on short legs, lol. She's eats like a horse, weighs like a horse, rides bigger than she is and thinks she's a horse so tbh about from missing a few vital inches in height she is a horse, lol. Hope you get sorted:) x

Would something like this appeal to you? This is something been offered my our RC and other RCs ATM. x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 6
I am looking for another event for me and Cally. The arena eventing where we competed yesterday has now finished as it's the start of the BE season (starts at 90cm, er no thanks!) But there is beginner and novice evening showjumping which sounds perfect. 55 - 75 cm courses. But when I read the rules it says no-one over 16 can ride a pony - defined as up to and including 14.2. That rules Cally and me out.:(:(

Why is that? And is it a common rule? If they don't want adults competing against kids they can always split the classes. Very disappointed as the venue is great and is within an hour. Don't want to start trekking all over the country!

I think that's very unfair. I ride a 13.1hh and whilst I'm not hugely into competing, I'd like to have a go at some point. Lots of adults right ponies.

newrider.com