Action of different bits??

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
Am still deliberating over bits. Am thinking as advised on here, either Cambridge snaffle or hanging cheek mullen mouth to try.

Now, I understand that a single joint snaffle will squeeze the tongue and jab the palate with contact(ouch).

What action would the two I am thinking of have?

Hmm, what is the horse doing or not doing that you want to change, and what is it's mouth shape, or shape generally come to that?

He opens his mouth, he now has a flash (which I don't like) and he sort of chucks his head about.

He has a fat tongue, quite big and pink lips and I would imagine a lowish palate.

I am with you on flashes. I loathe them! Have you thought of a KK loose ring correction bit, They are not dressage legal but they work on my Highland. By the sound of it they have a similar mouth. If we do venture into schooling a lozenge snaffle and drop noseband sorts him out. If you haven't seen one, think of a ported mouth piece in a loose ring cheek. They look most peculiar but can be got of ebay second hand.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HS-Spreng...r_Equipment&hash=item3f10f929b6#ht_500wt_1287
The price above is for new.

As I understand it you can ride on a contact with any bit or none. A contact comes from behind, with the engine in the back pushing the front. It is not the rider holding the front in. The rider teaches the horse to contain the energy generated by being rear wheel drive. Have look at Heather Moffet's new book. She explains it far better than me.

I am wondering whether because he doesn't like the action of the bits that we have tried that he doesn't engage with it, if that makes any sense. I have to use a tremendous amount of leg in the school and then he sort of comes above the bit. If I don't use leg he just trails along behind.

Bitting!!!!!

If you are working your horse correctly you should achieve correct outline/good form/on a contact ( what ever you want to call it) with a headcollar, the whole effort comes from behind the hand only accepts the energy.

Is it possible you are being too strong in the hand without the legs /engagement to back them up? This would lead to all the symptoms you are describing...how does your horse work for your RI/trainer?

Is it possible you are being too strong in the hand without the legs /engagement to back them up? This would lead to all the symptoms you are describing...how does your horse work for your RI/trainer?

I am using my legs - A LOT!! One of my biggest problems is that my hands are a bit feeble, I am always scared of hurting his mouth, so I am always getting told off for giving to him too much. He is no better for my RI, although in fairness she doesn't ride him a lot.

JustJas thank you for that link, shall look into that too.

newrider.com