Acorn poisoning? what happens?

Trio

Jan 5, 2007
The New Forest
We have a huge amount of oak trees in all our fields and acorns are dropping seriously fast. The horses are hoovering them up at the moment and our vet has said that as long as they have a hard feed am and pm then the acorns will not be absorbed into the gut and no damage will be done.
The pigs have gone out this week so hopefully will hoover them all up anyway but just wondered what damage they actually can do as i know the NF ponies eat them as well.

My lad likes acorns and i used to try and pick them up but it was just impossible. I now tape off every tree so that they just rot down and he cant touch them at all.

wel i asked about this as my pillock of a horse was seeking out the acorns even though he has loads of grass and haylage - i could hear him crunching them from the other side of the yard . He's now in a inner paddock where there are no trees and the pigs are working hard but i just wanted to know what i should be looking out for.

Sounds pretty horrible and that former thread is really helpful - thanks :D

my friend horse came out in large oddly shaped bumps all over his body... think she had to have some shots for him

newrider.com