Ace's bringing back into work diary

k8te

Jun 8, 2008
Ringwood, hampshire
I thought i would write a diary, as i am going to be bringing Ace back into work this week, after quite a few weeks off and wanted to do so, so i can read back on our journey, of hopefully the last time i have to do this :wink:

At Xmas Ace had a few weeks off, as i had time off and was out catching up with friends and family. I started a thread, about his funny movement when i got back on, and after my RI seeing him, who has known him for 7 years, i put him on Bute in the hope that he had tweaked something in the field when we had really bad gales. A week later, rode again and still the same, so halfed his bute and phoned the vet. She came out, and assessed and actually rode him that shocked me a bit, and was confused as i was. Anyhow i brought him knowing he had fused hocks, and the supplement i have him on has worked wonders for his stiffness. So vet asked me to get old vet reports, take him off the bute and she would get in contact once she had the old reports.

Nearly a week later, i decided to ride him in the school. No chomping on the bit, and even though he still had the 'funny stride' it wasnt as frequent,and he actually felt a bit better, and my gut instinct was he hasnt been ridden for x amount of weeks, i think he needs riding through it.
On the Monday the vet phoned, and after reading through his notes informed me he hasnt actually been diagnosed with fused hocks they just assumed and gave him some injections, therefore it is known and my insurance wont pay out!

Talked to her about the options, and she and the top vet believe it is connected to these hocks, and said about coming out to do xrays to look for and changes in his hocks, and outcome is bute and exercise.
Informed her of my cheeky ride, and that he felt better, and i wanted to bring him back into work. She agreed with this, and said to ride him for the next 2 weeks out hacking, building up from 10 mins a day, then in 2 weeks we would try him properly on a bute trial.

So tomorrow, going with my gut instinct that he looned around in the field, i have a back lady coming out, just to give him a going over and see if anything is out, and that its all in the right place for bringing him back into work.

To say i am excited it a bit of an understatement, i have missed riding my boy so much even if i do feel sick from doing so, Bring on the napping, the spinning, the sillyness when we come across another ridden horse, i just want to be riding him again.

So this is the start of my diary, tomorrow back lady and hopefully Wednesday a ride whoop whoop :dance:

Bring on the napping, the spinning, the sillyness when we come across another ridden horse, i just want to be riding him again.

So this is the start of my diary, tomorrow back lady and hopefully Wednesday a ride whoop whoop :dance:

Looking forward to reading your journey and you can tell that boy of yours he will have to behave in the presence of 'her majesty' :wink:
Looks like wednesday is going to be a good day :dance:

you can tell that boy of yours he will have to behave in the presence of 'her majesty' :wink:

I assure you he will be on his best behaviour with a lady by his side :wink: :inlove:

Ok, so back lady just left was here for 1.5 hours and seems a really lovely lady.
Filled her in on all of his history, and off she went. Asked who my vet practice was then the actual vet, and seemed pleased with my answer!
She explained that he was really tight from half way under where the saddle would be all the way down to his pelvis, which was also stiff. Some stiffness in his shoulders so started with the machine, to do the deep massage. She let Ace sniff first and he was a bit scared and looking for me, bless him then decided oh well can you move so i can eat my hay :giggle: She took her time with working the muscles, and Ace was falling asleep well he would of if he wasnt trying to eat his hay. Lots of farting and getting himself in some weird positions so she could get to the little spots!
She then did massage by hand, he turned to threaten her with a bite a few times when on his left shoulder, however she wouldnt taste as nice as his hay so it was just a look.
Leg stretches on all four, then she finished with some adjustments which made him forget his hay net for a second :wink:
The back lady, had given me some stretches to do and said to put some heat on the end of his back for 10 mins before we ride, to help soften the muscles, and not to ride until Thursday. And in her opinion, if it is his hocks which originally started this all off, there would be no way he could of been ridden in walk, trot or canter with the way everything was so tight, and believes that this may have been the problem as his movement was so restricted.

So he will be a bit stiff for 2 days, drink lots, and rideable on Thursday :dance: Which gives me more time to finish my essay! And will see her again in 6-9 months x

I assure you he will be on his best behaviour with a lady by his side :wink: :inlove:

Lots of farting and getting himself in some weird positions so she could get to the little spots!

Ha Ha not sounding like too much of a gentleman there :bounce::bounce: lol
Having a duvet day today and totally bored - seemed like a good idea at 7am but certainly isnt now, any how your description of Ace and his 'manly behaviour has brightened up my day - all the best with that essay and thursdays ride x

Ok so woke up quite early yesterday to an alarm that my hubby was not waking up to :yellowcarded: And stayed in bed and did some more of my essay, oh i will be finished today so excited! Anyhow, had to go to the letting agents as hopefully moving also, on the way out i went and feed Ace, and told him today is the day and sang to him 'I'm so excited, and i just cant hide it.....' He just looked at me, and you can see it in his eyes thinking 'mum i love you, but you really cant sing!'

So came home tidied up, and waited for my friend to finish work as she offered to come out with me. By the time she got back and i brought him in i was bouncing at this point, stupidly excited. Good brush and leg stretches, went to put his pad on, and he turned his head right round, as in 'escuse me' :mstickle: He was a good boy, tacked up lovely not that he is ever a pain, stood at the block then i was on :dance:

Then the heart started to pound, and the nerves :redface: Laura rode first so we could just follow, Ace was a bit fresh and a bit first in his stride, got down to the cross roads we always go left, but where it was just a 10 min walk straight ahead we went. Ace then was 'arrgh were we going, whats in there garden, doing his stupid walk where he just aint paying attentions and tripping on his own hoofs! Said to Laura, i may get off as didnt want to go on the road like this, she just said he will be fine on the road the surface is flat, so breathed some more and stayed on.

Whilst on the road something weird happened, through my seatbones i could actually feel his movement, something i have struggled with and i have always put it down to him being stiff, but from my lesson on the equisimulator and being shown what i am feeling for, it made me really aware and it was lovely :inlove:

Carried on walking up the road and i see 2 people up on the other side of the gate into the forest, 'um laura what have they got with them?' 'Oh its the people with the shetlands' 'Oh Sh*t!!' 'Ace will be fine' You reckon?!?!?! he was until one of them did this sort of high pitched neigh, and Ace just grew and you could feel him think what the hell are those!! So i just jumped off, by now 2 horses one side of road, 2 horses the other and two cars from both directions trying to get past, so for me the best solution.

Started to walk back down the lane, and me and Laura were talking about it, and she said 'ok you got off, you know your pony, and he aint going to hold it against you at all. And really this time with the other horse and you on the ground with him, he was much better then last time it happened. He calmed down and was fine. Whereas last time with laura before i jumoed off, we were reversing in trot, spinning oh it was scary, and when i got off he still took some time to relax' So he must be more confident with you on the ground with him, and in time when you are in the saddle.

Walked him the rest of the way home, as no where for my short legs to get back on him, but he still got his walk. Same again today, hopefully will be a whole hack with me on board, but if not, who cares???? Sadly though if those shetlands arent out for walkies we have to walk past their garden :hot: x x

Well done for going out :dance:, and good for you that you are planning to o it again today :dance:-
little steps - it really does work, and dont go beating yourself up if you get off and then cant get back on, I have exactly the same problem and I used to try to ride through stuff a bit too much and Daisy would just feel my fear and then she'd get frightened.
I always had a fear of going past other horses in fields??? whats that all about? (have ridden on the New Forest and am not frightened of the wild ones!) any how daughter rode Daisy out the other day and rode past all the big scary horses in the fields and Daisy was fine because daughter was fine - dont get worried about the shetlands, you may not even see them - enjoy your ride Mrs!

I always had a fear of going past other horses in fields??? whats that all about? (have ridden on the New Forest and am not frightened of the wild ones!)

I have NO idea, bizarre isnt it???

Well second ride today, and we went past the shetland paddock fine bit of leg on and the geese didnt see them yesterday :frown: Up onto the road, breathing a bit more calmer, then in nearly the same spot up by the gate to the forest, there is this horse titting around :banghead: Ace is 'OMG' I jump off again, and after i few seconds with me walking by him, he is not interested anymore and looking in peoples drive until said horse who was still titting around turn off the road, and Ace wanted to follow, got a bit strong but wasnt silly and as soon as we had past the drive he was fine again. Managed to get back on him back down the lane on some old tree stumps.

Same friend as yesterday, said he is getting much better, and once i am confident enough to stay on he will be fine also. which i know is true, as i can get him past other riders, i just havent ridden for ages and a bit scared :unsure:.

So, going to give him a day off tomorrow then ride on Sunday, he is feeling really good in walk and was really tempted to have a little trot in the school when we got back, but decided against maybe next week i will introduce it, just want to see if his funny gait had gone??

x x x

Well done for getting past the Shetlands with a bit o' leg on attitude :smug:
And you got back on this time :smug:
We will both get there you know and it WILL be this year and it WILL be sooner than you think. You are deffinately making progress.
Hope your ride went well today xxx

Thanks Dizzy Woo x

Ok didnt ride this weekend due to many factors, so this morning took kids to school then dragged Ace in, his look on his face when he saw a very small haynet and no food bowl. Explained to him i am short on time as start my next nursing placement today, so he started to happily munch on it knowing his proper breakfast would be waiting for him on our return.

Tacked up and on i got, Our of the yard gate and had to give a bit of leg as he was looking around for his pal, then our gate out onto the track a little more leg and then loads of praise. Got down to next gate a he becomes a little hesistant, mainly as there is a bin bag there, very scary you know :wink: leg and praise and we get going. Ace didnt bother looking it at the shetlands or geese, and only when we got well pass them one of them shouted to him, which he thought about for a second before carrying on.

On the road now, and going really well me on alert for any other equines, luckily none, Ace really striding out in his walk, so unlike him, he usually goes so slow he trips on his own hoofs :giggle: ANyway danger spotted to the right, a bloody bin bag, i drove this way home to check for these as not bin day till tomorrow so where did this come from??? Ace starts to notice and getting slower and slower, me with the old leg encouraging him to go past (it is on the other side of the road) then a car comes over the cattle grid eventually slows and Ace spooks :hot: 4 hoofs all off the ground, my legs in his side with a grrrr 'get on' and on he did :angel: Followed the road back onto our track, and walked all the way home, me reminding him he aint a race, and he reminding me he is starving :tongue:.

So in all a good ride, all by ourselfs :dance: Ok we didnt meet another horse rider, but we had attempts at napping and one spook but we did it and SO PROUD of us both. i am really surprised in the difference in Ace, his stride, me being able to feel his movement the way he aint doddling along. May be as he is scared and want to get home as fast as he can, or he really was so locked in his back that he was in pain. I suppose only time will tell if it continues x

Well done you :dance:
I am thinking our diaries are becoming the K8te and Dizzy fan club lol :wink::wink:
One day Ace and Daisy may meet and start their own :wink:
Could you pm me your back lady, as that is my next step

Havent ridden for a couple of days due to starting placement and shift work again. So got home today, and stopped by the yard to talk to friend and he was standing there by the gate looking yummy, so thought buggar it, came in and got changed and walked back up there. Was meant to be viewing a property but it had gone, so had the time to jump on.

Brought in and gave him his complimentary haynet, whilst a gave him a nice groom and applied the heat pad the back lady had suggested, did his leg stretches, and thought umm lets go in the school and see if the funny trot was still there.

In we go, walking around getting him remember the aids, he was such a good boy, all warmed up and thought right lets go "TROT ON BOY" and off we went, a bit stiff, a bit cautious but it felt much better, changed the rein and asked again, this time much better. Feels like he is just stiff and unfit now rather then his funny little hop skip & a jump!

Friend was watching, and she agreed.Ace looked like he used to just stiff. So got off him with a smile like this :biggrin:

So will be increasing the time we ride out and start to incorporate trot work when we get back this week. And try and get upto 30 walk & 5 mins trot.

I am so happy :dance: I think i have my boy back :biggrin: x x

Been so busy with placement & my best friends wedding which is today :dance: so havent updated much or done much riding sadly, but this is what we have been up to...

Saturday - Me and friend went out and decided no more road, lets be brave and go up on to the common. My daughter decided to walk out with us, first time she ever has. Plodding along and get to the end of our gate, where to go to the road it is straight over, and Ace pricks his ear and along goes a dog followed by a beautiful cob, my heart starts to pound "umm i think i may get off, as we are going to be following the cob all the way up and on to the common" Friend suggested we go road way, but we would still bump into them at the top, so got off started walking up the track, and Ace calms down so much he pays no attention to the cob, phew!

Start approaching the top of the track and can see into the common, and that here are 2 young girls on horses with their mums just standing by the track therefore thought i'll wait to get back on. Through the gate, Ace as walking pass them gently trying to nap towards them, but bit if encouragement and off we go. Go to my usual spot to get back on :redface: and off we go and have a lovely little walk, Ace decided again that wild ponies are so weird "excuse me, you seem to have lost your rider?? he neighs! :giggle:" After our little circuit we start to head back, now we are on the other side of the road and can see that the young girls are still on the track, cantering, racing each other!! As we get nearer Ace starts to pay attention to them, and i am praying that they stop. The mums start saying something to them, as we approach and about to cross the road, which we thought was "wait", the girls had different ideas kicked the sides of their poor horseys and where off :banghead: I have never jumped off Ace so fast! He wasnt trying to go, but look but no way am i taking any chances.

Back through the gate and me and freind cant believe how irresponsible the girls and parents are, and am actually fuming! On the what if's and the safety of the those girls. For all they now i was off Ace for something more then i was and if he followed them we could of ended up in Burley or in a ditch!

Anyway got back on,moaning all the way home and went in the school with Ace to do 1 lap of trot on both reins, still not right as in no balance etc....

Sunday.

I decided today is the day i am going to stay on Ace at all times, i love my boy and he has never done anything to really scare me, it is me and my confidence. Decided to do the same lap as yesterday with same friend. And all i can say is "We did it" i stayed on the journey, Ace was a superstar :dance: Anxiety started to rise just as we apporached the gate out of the common, Ace grew a bit with his ears pricked, had a look to see what was there, just a dog being walked, then i thought hang on, thats a big black dog i bet he thinks its one of those killer shetlands we had encountered last week, alot of leg and praise as i could feel him thinking of spinning to turn back towards them, me like a jelly on him remembering to breath and relax, and got him through it :dance:

I am so proud of myself for staying on, and so proud of Ace. He hasnt been on the common since before Xmas and he was amazing, i ♥ my pony :inlove: x x

This is great k8te :smile:
I feel very conscious that I post replies to you rather frequently but we almost seem to be going through the same thing and so I can really appreciate how your feeling.
And reading your posts give me confidence too - reading about you keeping your leg on when his ears pricked up etc so tonight Daisy grew a couple of inches when going down the scary lane with the scary and rather large brown fungus, I remembered your post, leg on and the large brown scary fungus melted into oblivion!
Keep it up, you are doing so well - you on your common, me on mine, who knows one day we may ride the same common and Ace and Daisy can encourage each other :wink:

Oh Dizzy Woo dont feel conscious, its so nice to know we can and are helping each other virtually :biggrin: And one day soon in reality :wink:

I have to say today was the first time in a long time i have got on Ace, without any doubts or fears or thinking what may happen whilst on our little hack :smile:

Ace had new shoes this morning, and once friend was back from work we were off up to the common. Ace was tripping a bit, in both his hinds something he doesnt do, maybe nails were very tight but saying that i have never ridden him straight after him being shod??

We decided to go a bit further today, Ace tried to nap at the path we had been turning down to go home, leg on and he continued. Past lots of wild ponies, and generally had a lovely hack. On the way back whilst still on the common Ace did a few strides of trot up a little slope and put his head down, snorted a felt like he was about to put a little buck in (something he has never done):frown: Leg and growl and he carried on, funnily enough friends pony decided at the same time to try and hop & bounce, maybe they could sense something we couldnt?? Felt my heart rate ^, but breathed and relaxed my body and carried on.

Ace was playing with his bit a bit also, so was aware that he may be in pain but he was such a good boy as usual. I really do love my boy, he really does look after me. Going to do the same route tomorrow & Sunday, then increase it again on Monday.

newrider.com