Absolutely gutted.

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
So tonight go to get ale in and instantly realise something is wrong. Cut and lame on hind leg. Panic. Get him in and wash off etc. The cuts are not too bad just a few deep scrapes. But his leg is hot and swollen all up the inside and down the front of his cannon bone. He is putting weight on the leg but standing oddly to try and not put too much on it.

Should I call the vet, don't know what to do

oh no :( it's not the same leg as his check injury is it?

I'd cold hose and see what it looks like tomorrow. If it's still bad, call the vet just in case. really sorry to hear this :(

Is this the already injured leg? I would phone your vet and ask their opinion. TBH asking people on a forum isn't the best idea - much as we all like to give our opinion, that is all it can be, a lay man's opinion. Your vet is in a position to know you, Ale and his existing injury so will give you the best advice.

I really hope this isn't a serious set back for Ale....was he supposed to be turned out or still on box rest?:unsure:

If you're worried then I'd call the vet for advice.

From what you say I'd clean it up well & see what it looks like. If there's nothing deep near any tendons or ligaments & he's weightbearing on it then I suspect I'd give him a bute, bandage the other legs for support & see what he's like in the morning. If I was worried there was the chance of the wounds going very near tendons or ligaments or he's not weightbearing/favouring it a great deal or running a temperature then I'd want the vet out tonight.

Rang the vet they are on the way I would rather get it checked and know than just worry about it all the time. Sorry I was just panicing that's by I posted on here. Thanks for the advice, fingers crossed

Oh no Ale... so sorry to read this, hope the vet can give you some good news, lots of healing vibes for Ale coming your way. x

Phew!

Nothing major just badly bruised and cut up he should be fine, on antibiotics so that's a relief. Also he said his check ligament injury is looking good and I should start working him gently in the school, building up to riding him if he stays sound! Good news and a massive relief hope it is better tomorrow. And hopefully playing in the school will keep his mind a bit more occupied

And thankyou all, I'm sure you all know that feeling when you spot they are lame or see some blood and your heart just sinks!

yes tell me about it, when Fleurette went through the fence leaving a leg in it, and not knowing how bad it was till the vet came as it was going to be a sedation job to have a good look at it.

Phew!

Nothing major just badly bruised and cut up he should be fine, on antibiotics so that's a relief. Also he said his check ligament injury is looking good and I should start working him gently in the school, building up to riding him if he stays sound! Good news and a massive relief hope it is better tomorrow. And hopefully playing in the school will keep his mind a bit more occupied

So glad it wasn't serious.

I can imagine how relieved you are....good news you can start working him too. I expect he will soon settle down with something to occupy his mind.:smile:

Poor boy was very sore coming out of his stable this morning :(

But he is so much quieter on the way to the field now, he just gets a couple of treats on the way. Hopefully he stays safe out there today!!!

Going to pop him in the school for a little half hour walk around tonight, hopefully hos back leg isn't so sore by then

Every cloud has a silver lining, maybe this will make him easier to handle until the initial excitement of going out has worn off.

If you're school has a sand or similar surface it may be worth putting a dressing on the injured leg so that you don't get any in the cuts.

newrider.com