Absolutely fuming... what would you have done?

michie

Apr 8, 2004
N. California (Bay Area)
Visit site
:mad: I am absolutely furious. Here's why: people don't have common sense!!

While my yard is mostly focused on hunter/jumpers, there are a few horses that are used for rodeos stabled as well. Here in CA there are many Mexican rodeos that take place that are quite popular within the Mexican population. Tonight, one of the Mexicans brought his friends and family out to play with their buckskin. When I say play, I mean putting their 10 year olds and even their non-talking toddler on the horse without a helmet. They obviously can't move their horse off leg because they were using a whip to make him move. Why? I haven't idea as a few of them couldn't seem to stop him!

When I went to ride Otto today his left hind leg was swollen from a couple of scrapes on his leg (this is another total mystery to me). I ran cold water over it and decided to hand walk him a bit in our outdoor arena. As we were walking one of the women who were with the owner (male) galloped by just outside of the arena. She had asked for the gallop (without a helmet of course) and they raced by at full speed to the point where he was completely flat. This totally caught Otto by surprise and set him off. He was rearing, spinning around, jumping off the ground, etc. I tried to tell him to knock it off, but he wouldn't stop. Everytime I tried to get him walking again he'd hop around and rear. I finally managed to get him out of the arena where he kept spinning and trying to rear. My friend at the barn came out to help me and she tried walking Otto up the hill to stall while I held her horse. What do the people, who have been watching my horse flip out from above the hill do? Why, a man who has replaced the woman on the buckskin starts to walk down the narrow hill again, thereby setting Otto off again. I kept yelling at him to get out of the way but he just stood there like an idiot.

I had no choice but to let Otto go in the arena as he was difficult to control and the other wouldn't wouldn't take their horse out of the area I needed to get through. He was starting to scare me, but this time I'd already been kicked, which was luckily and mostly absorbed by my cellphone in my back pocket.

Am I completely wrong to be mad? I understand that people obviously have difficulty controlling their horses, but these people do things like this deliberately all the not. I mean, not deliberate in that the purposely tried to scare my horse, but deliberate in that he don't give a rat's ass about other people and their horses besides them. It's not like they haven't been asked to gallop by without warning, they've done it several times and have been asked not to as it scares most of our horses.

I'm normally a non-confrontational person, but this just made me livid. Sorry this is so long. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Nope, I don't think you're wrong to be angry, i would be, too. What kind of silly, inconsiderate person gallops by an arena with a horse in it?? Whether in-hand or ridden!

i think youre right to be upset that they did that. galloping by in my stable would get you kicked out, (i live in CA too), but i guess yours isnt that strict. i would be upset though. talk to the barn manager

I talked to the barn manager today and hopefully she'll say something to them. I plan on leaving them a letter by their stall as well since I have no idea what their names are. My friend who was riding in our jumping arena kept saying that the people kept bringing their horse down there last night and cutting through her jumps, etc. Grrrr..... I'm still upset about this. I just don't get why people can't think things through a little bit.

I was in a similar situation last week when I was putting my horse away in his paddock, in the dark, and this woman canters past me (riding in a halter and lead rope with no helmet) on her horse, no warning at all except for the hoofbeats! I was really mad, but haven't had the guts to say anything about it, I wish I could leave a letter like you!!

Absoloutely, i would be livid :mad:. Some people have NO respect, fancy having a flat-out gallop past someone who was hand-walking their horse? Of course, if they had any common sense, they'd know any horse would go abit wild when that happened. The poor horse also! They obviously arent experienced, with no hat and no respect for the horse or other people.

Jenny xx

I am in Cali,I get where your coming from, we have a lot of mexican 'cowboys' around here who just rodeo their horses around to death. There are some really nice people ,but the majority....ugh...

WillieLove said:
I am in Cali,I get where your coming from, we have a lot of mexican 'cowboys' around here who just rodeo their horses around to death. There are some really nice people ,but the majority....ugh...

I know exactly what you mean. This is not meant to be some racial judgement or anything but comes from my own observations of those cowboys at my barn; sometimes I feel as if they don't know what they are doing. I'm not claiming I'm an expert, but I tried to at least find out, but they never do. I've met some really nice Mexican "cowboys" but a lot of them make their horses do the craziest things just so they can look "macho" at their shows, riding with the harshest bits and spurs. I understand these rodeos are a cultural thing but what irks me is that whenever they go riding at our yard, they end up scaring some of the horses that are either being walked or ridden. They know it happens, and yet they continue to do it.

SpyGirl said:
I was in a similar situation last week when I was putting my horse away in his paddock, in the dark, and this woman canters past me (riding in a halter and lead rope with no helmet) on her horse, no warning at all except for the hoofbeats! I was really mad, but haven't had the guts to say anything about it, I wish I could leave a letter like you!!

Could you talk to your YO or YM privately? It is very dangerous when people do that.

SpyGirl said:

As you know from talking to me about it, I find that infuriating!

This would (of course!) be the very same person who took a flash photo with no warning or asking, while I was in the middle of a focussed long reining lesson in the arena. My horse is usually fine with flashes, but this caught him off guard and he did a rear (not a huge rear, but notable) and got very upset - a bit dangerous to be behind a horse long reining when this happens. I got no apology (not sure it was even noticed). Then the next week I was having another long reining lesson, and the pattern we were doing was clear, and this same person was on her horse and stood right in my path - I had thought she would move but did not and I ended up long reining between her horse and the wall in a much too tight space - dangerous for me to be caught on the ground between two horses that are much too close to one another - plus I have a whip behind me which could have spooked her horse! :mad:

Really, something should be said as these things are actually dangerous.

I suppose I could have talked to the YM..but I don't like to stir things up around the barn. I know it's dangerous but the woman is in 'tight' with the YO and..I dunno I am just a chicken!!

newrider.com