Absolutely distraught. Rubic is in horsepital *Update 11/7/13*

I'm so happy! I'd asked the vet to give me a call when she had some time but for some reason it just went straight to voicemail but she left a very reassuring message saying everything is going well and she should be out by friday or saturday. She did say she'd give me a call later. I've just got questions to ask about getting her home. I'm trying to be as prepared and organised as possible!

11/07/13 Update

Spoke to the vet this morning (it seems my phone keeps sending her to my voicemail straight away rather than giving the option to answer it!).

She is really happy with how Rubic is doing. They've stopped the antibiotics and are reducing her pain relief and all is going well.

They will change her bandage on Friday and if everything is still looking good she can be discharged Saturday (she did say they could discharge her Friday afternoon/evening but I've not had a chance to organise everything for her coming home so this will give me time to sort it all out plus I think my transport will find Saturday easier).

She will be on box rest until all her stitches come out. I've to book an appointment with my vets to do that the middle of next week. After that she can have some restricted turnout. I'm hoping I'll be able to section off a bit of one of the strips so I can turn her out on that as the grass has been eaten down, if not it'll need to be the sick paddock and like I've said before I'm worried about the amount of grass in there (especially while I cannot exercise her). So a month or so of paddock rest and another vet appointment to make sure she is sound and everything has healed ok and then, all going well, I can look to start exercising her again (just in time for winter!!!!).

I'm just back from visiting her. She doesn't seem as happy today as she was yesterday. I suppose now they are taking her off the antibiotics and reducing her painkillers she will be feeling her leg a bit and it might be a little sore but she is still walking on it well and I actually think she is just fed up of being in. She was much happier when I took her out but in her stable she just seemed a bit down :unsure: I can't wait to have her home and it'll be even better when her stitches are out and she can get a little turnout.

Bless her, she is probably just a bit fed up. She will be better once back in familiar surroundings.

This might be a daft idea, but if you can't section off one of the strips, can you get another livery who has a horse that needs weight on it to put it on the sick paddock and munch it down before she uses it?

Bless her, she is probably just a bit fed up. She will be better once back in familiar surroundings.

This might be a daft idea, but if you can't section off one of the strips, can you get another livery who has a horse that needs weight on it to put it on the sick paddock and munch it down before she uses it?

There aren't really any that need weight on! Everyone is either perfect or fat! I might risk it with a grazing muzzle but I don't want to put one on her after all she has been through. Sounds stupid but it's just another thing that is going to annoy her. I'd much rather section off a bit of a strip. I don't see why it would be much of a problem so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll let me do that!

awk bless her Im so glad she is on the mend and coming home as she will be happier in her own familiar surroundings and with you and heal faster :dance:

I'm just back from visiting her. She doesn't seem as happy today as she was yesterday. I suppose now they are taking her off the antibiotics and reducing her painkillers she will be feeling her leg a bit and it might be a little sore but she is still walking on it well and I actually think she is just fed up of being in. She was much happier when I took her out but in her stable she just seemed a bit down :unsure: I can't wait to have her home and it'll be even better when her stitches are out and she can get a little turnout.

I remember when Ziggy was in horsepital, he really felt it when they reduced or removed his painkiller support. It felt like a setback, but it was just a stage he needed to get through.

Good luck tomorrow!

I was up at my yard last night cleaning out her stable. I chucked all her old bedding onto the muck heap, pulled out 5 heavy rubber mats (that aren't mine...long story but we never got round to swapping those mats for mine when I moved into the stable) and moved them out that barn and round the corner and then washed the walls down and scrubbed the floor. The mats were the absolute worst part of the whole thing. I almost forgot how heavy and awkward they are to move, especially with no help! Anyway, I left the stable to dry overnight and today I'm going to clean the metal bars down, move my own mats in then put her bed down and organise all my other stuff!

I spoke to the farmer/YO and he has 4 calves that need to go out and he said he'd put them in the sick paddock to eat the grass down for me and if that doesn't do enough then I can just section bits of it off so she can't get too much grass. Hopefully that will be enough to keep her weight down.:unsure::help:

That's good news re the sick paddock and been able to strip graze if necessary.
Sounds like you had one busy night getting everything ready for rubic to come home.
I'm sure she will perk up once back home,my old mare had a stint in horsepital and started looking abit down the last few days but was back to bright eyed once home.

It will be a lovely moment when you finally get her home.

I can't imagine how stressed you must have been this week. I hope that she continues to recover well and that you are back to normal in no time.

newrider.com