Absolutely distraught. Rubic is in horsepital *Update 11/7/13*

How upsetting for you and hating her in horspital without you there. Hang in there and try not to think the worst.

A friend's youngster had same down on knee after field injury and this girl has made such a mess of her knee and so crippled we initially thought broken then got her in and examined by vet and neede surgery to flush it as been out at grass and reckoned a few days old injury so well infected and the prognosis wasnt hopeful.

Turned out only needed it done once and she mad a full recovery going on to be broken and is a great wee jumper now :smile:

Hugs at this hard time xx

Oh hun!! What a nightmare!! I can't even imagine the stress!!

Thinking of you and Rubic....we are all here for you. Give me a shout if you want to vent/stress/anything.

Xxx

Omg poor Rubic. Thank god it was noticed early so you could get it sorted. I'm guessing the first thing most of us will be doing in the morning is checking in to see if you've posted any more updates.

All the best x

Update: Just off the phone with the vet. She is really happy with how the surgery went. There was a little hair in the wound tract but nothing further in or in the joint from what they could see. It looks whatever it was didn't go deeply into the joint. They have flushed it out. Rubic is in recovery now and she is standing on all 4 legs so vet is confident she is much more comfortable. She has and will be pumped full of antibiotics to help her fight the infection. Vet said she'll be moved to a stable soon and checked hourly. I can go and visit tomorrow. That's that bit over with, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed she continues improving.

Shoot. I am so sorry! Glad to hear everything is looking positive now.
Just a word of warning: If the surgery was done under general anesthesia Rubic may still look way off tomorrow.
When I visited Minnie the day after her surgery the vet had said she looked really good but to me I was shocked when I saw her.
Others later explained to me that that is quite common after general anesthesia and just a day later she looked much better.
Just don't be freaked out if Rubic looks way off when you visit tomorrow

That sounds really promising, vets tend to be a bit pessimistic so when they sound happy it's a good sign :biggrin:

Lots & lots of healing vibes on the way, and Karin's right when she says the GA can leave them looking a bit rough - I found the vet's idea of looking good & mine were rather different!

Thanks for the words of warning. I know I'm likely to get upset anyway but I'll be majorly reassured to see her standing on the bad leg. I'm not sure she could look worse than she did today but forewarned is forearmed!

Still not out of the woods yet but definitely starting to see some glimpses of lights through the trees.

Do you think if I bring a brush up they'll let me spend a little time brushing her? Think I'll bring one up and ask.

I found the hospital Jim was in were lovely about letting me spend time with him, though it was hard to find a single hair on him that hadn't already been groomed to perfection!

Sure. Just play it by ear and see how it goes. I had brought carrots and was prepared to keep her company etc. But that first day she looked like the one thing she wanted was just to be left alone. Not into treat. Not into cuddles. Very unlike her.

And yes what a great sign about Rubic using the leg! Let's see how it goes when all the meds wear off though. Minnie walked fine on it the first day but seemed more sore once everything wore off. Don't look at it as a step back if that happens. It will all come right eventually! :)

You're right, she might not even be interested in seeing me!!! I'll bring a brush with me anyway. She won't be getting treats, I can tell u that much. She is overweight and this is just going to make matters worse :cry:

jesus, how scary. Hope your ok, and of course the lovely Rubic. Puncture wounds can be horrible things.

newrider.com