Absolutely Devistated...Sarcoids

Sexy Sietske

Aug 18, 2006
Derbyshire/nottinghamshire
Nelson was treated for a rather large sarcoid 7(ish) weeks ago and the treatment was successful.

Today I found another 3 :( 2 near his girth, 1 small one on his sheath. The one near his girth is an open sore and is being eaten by flies (how i noticed it in the first place)

I really dont want to have the liverpool cream again as £500 the first time around was costy...the same again 7 weeks later is just going to be too much, so what 'cheaper' options are there that are available.

I am really gutted :( and because of where they are I cant continue with his education until they are gone :(:(

Unfortunately, you pay for what you get, if it worked first time around then get the same again. You may find that cheaper alternatives won`t do the job and you may spend more (if that makes sense :))Prob not what you want to hear, but trying to be honest :)

I've heard good things about camrosa also and sarc-off and sarc-ex treatments, good luck with whatever you choose, and I dearly hope they clear up xx

I know nothing BUT did read a post on highlandponytalk forum which said camrosa could make them worse so please get a vets advice before using anything other than what they prescribed ....

I have done a thread on my successful use of Sarc-off (I think it is called? - I get mixed up with the global herbs thing Sarc-ex or Sarc-off - whatever the global herbs one isnt, I used). Try doing a search - sorry not clever enough to post link).

It is a cream you can get through your vet for £100 for a small pot, but you can apply it yourself. My vet has now used it successfully on a couple of cases. My horses difficult to treat nodular sarcoid just above his eye has shrunk considerably, and is still shrinking, a small warty type one on his flank disappeared almost imediately. I still have cream left for any reoccurnace, and this winter will probably treat the eye one again to hopefully get rid of it for good.

Last edited:
A friend had a horse staying with her who had horrendous sarcoids, when I first saw him the ones on his neck were probably the size of half a satsuma, and red raw. She put him on Sarc-Ex (Global herbs) and they shrank in the space of a few weeks to very, very small. I could hardly believe it! I thought I'd tell you about him though that is the sum total of my sarcoid experience!

Adam had the Liverpool treatment about 8 weeks ago, the scab is still there so far - it cost me £362. He had four treatments, but the sarcoid had fallen off so the scab was only really a small dot, but the vet covered an area of about a 50p piece.

As it is a cancerous growth I would always take the vets advice first rather than try and treat it yourself.

i got told by my vet NOT to use camrosa at all
he said dont even tempt yourself by buying any
it makes them worse as it irritates them or something..

Hi,
U have ny deepest sympathy as I'm going through the same thing at the moment with my gelding. I've done loads of research on them n too have read that Camarosa can make them worse?? My boy starts Liverpool cream on monday n is going to have to go to Liverpool to have a large one on his ear lasered off, however in the mean time I've been treating him with THUJA. Applying cream to sarcoids and giving him tablets too. If you google it there are loads of sucess stories, its totally natural and definately won't make them worse. The big one I'm treating has definately smoothed out since I started using it- about 2 weeks ago n I'm sure its got alittle smaller although I'd have to measure it? Its £20 for 120g cream n about £5 for 50+ tablets. Worth a go I thought?
Good luck I know exactly how u feel!!:(:(

Re Camrosa, searched but have had trouble actually finding what Camrosa is made from? There was a complaint about it being advertised as 'free from harmful chemicals' way back in 2005:

The ASA (advertisng standards) said:
"The Authority noted the complainant had had a spectral analysis of the ointment performed and that that analysis showed lead, nickel, uranium and lithium to be present in the ointment. It also noted the advertisers'' assertion that the elements present in the ointment did not exceed the levels found in human blood and that animals and humans were at no greater risk from the ointment than if they ingested their own blood from licking a wound.

The Authority took expert advice and understood that the evidence submitted did not prove that the product did not contain harmful chemicals. The Authority concluded that the information submitted was not sufficient to prove the product contained no elements, chemicals or substances that could be unsafe and welcomed the advertisers'' assurance that they would remove the claim from their advertisements."
http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudications/non_broadcast/Adjudication+Details.htm?Adjudication_id=39338

Perhaps Liverpool cream might be better in the long run, at least you'd know what you were handling and applying!

Last edited:
One of my liveries had sarcoids and the vet advised ring them first. Basiclly all the vet did was apply lamb castration rings around the sarcoid and eventually this cuts the blood supply to the sarcoid and it will fall off. It does take time and it is not very quick but it did work and it didnt cost a fortune.:D:D

NN - Nelson is 3

Had another inspection today after having some sudocreme on last night (just to keep the flies off if anything) and one has scabbed over?? This one is the size of about a 5p and flat (not like his other sarcoid which was like a golf ball :rolleyes:). The other one near this one is about a pea sized lump but doesnt look like a sarcoid.. just a red spot on it, mum said this could be a bite as she killed a horsefly in his stable the other day.

The one on his sheath looks more like a small wart and is really tiny so I am no fussed about this one but he does get really bothered by the flies near his sheath and under his tummy.

Today he has been plastered in fly spray and I am going to start feeding him dandelions again for a couple of weeks see if it changes... will see if I can get a pic.

What is really annoying is that he is started to be backed and we are making excellent progress... a bit of a bugger that it is some stupid lump that has put a hold on things and not his sillyness :rolleyes:

I know how it feels when the little buggers keep coming back.

R.E Camrosa, if you do a search on here there's more info on Portia's comment regarding its ingredients and tbh i wouldnt consider it for this reason.

I've tried banding and freezing but jerrys keep coming back. My vet now wants to take him in and have all the skin that has the sarcoids frozen off down to the flesh, the theory being that new skin wont be "infected". sadly this skin is between his back legs and his sheath and he will be off work for at least 2-3months whilst the skin grows back. Obviously we are doing this during the winter and have left the sarcoids he has just now and boy are they developing at some rate!

Well they aren't in the same place as the first one, which was under his jaw, so he couldn't wear a headcollar/bridle... now he has one on his girth so he can't wear a saddle!!

Think its a sign the Nelson is destined to be field bound for the rest of his life!! I'll just have to go bare back :p

At 3yo I would be tempted to think they were warts. Youngsters get them more often, they tend to come and then just drop off. Wally, I think will back me up on that. I believe she was the one that advised us when my sisters youngster had what looked like a sarcoid. :)

newrider.com