absolutely brilliant!!!!

Jade M L

Oct 5, 2008
Hello again!

I just wanted to share my joy, Izzy has been at school for 3 weeks now as have I and we are now both getting on brilliantly. She has stopped thrashing her head and sort of dancing when we start to trott. RI sad it litterally seemed to be excitement and that I should ride through it which I have been and we are absolutely fine now, the rising trott is comming along nicely. My RI seemed to think that it was just lack of work that made her a bit fizzy, since the previous owner had not ridden her for months. I couldn't be more pleased with how we are both comming along i have confidence with her now.

My riding instructor suggested that i consider her staying there on working livery since it is really to dark to ride in the week by the time i get home. I thought it would probably be good for her as she seems really happy there and they are very nice people. My only worry is that if she was used in the school for lessons is that some pupils might be really rough with the reins; whilst i am really not a good rider by any means i do always try to be really really gentle with the reins. they said she is a good novice ride which whilst that is great for me made me even more worried.... does anyone else do working livery? how have they found it???

I also had a lesson on western saddle this week as I have restricted mobility, and whilst the rising trott was probably less fluid, I was actually able to do a bit of cantering with the additional support of the pommel so i was really quite chuffed with the results of this weekends riding! I am having another session in Western saddle next week to see how i feel as I think izz needs a new saddle anyway as the one she came with doesnt seem to fit that well. I have also been advised to try a dressage saddle as the seat is deeper so I shall she what happens.........

I went up to the yard today to ride Izzy and wasted ages watching their two new forest foals adorable!

I dont think the RS would put the wrong sort of rider on a liveries horse, anytime anyone is rough with any horse at my RS they get told immediatley to stop!
shes your horse, so voice your worries, and ask as many questions as you like, before making any decisions! You dont have to go with that plan at the end of the day, its your choice
good luck
glad your getting more confidence on her:)

thanks

yes thats true,

I will tell them that i am concerned in that respect. They said that on the working livery I would still have to pay as there were costs in terms of her bedding etc and because i would have the benefit of the school etc. She has lived out up to now as she is a welsh cob so quite hardy. Is it normal to have to pay to put your horse on working livery, since they will obviously been charging £25 ph for any lessons or hacks that she does? I assumed since they would have the use of her that I wouldnt have to pay for the livery, though obviously i expected to pay if i had an actual lesson and for shoes and wormer?

You do normally have to pay for working livery but the normal livery costs are normally set off against the fact they are using your horse so working livery is usually cheaper than normal livery.

I know someone who put their horse on working livery - didn't work out at all!! Like she had lost her horse and still had to pay!! When she wanted to ride, the horse was tired and she had to fit around the school lessons.

The horse didn't look well either, so she took her back and they have improved steadily together.

Personally, I would hate to think of all sorts of riders on my horse. I always feel sorry for RS ponies when I see what they have to put up with.

However, this is just a personal opinion - obviously, the ponies are well looked after. Just not what I would want for a horse of mine.

newrider.com