absolute bloody idiot thread

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
So after my day on the river 2 days ago I am now paying for my idiocy with 2nd-degree sunburn on my legs. I am fair-skinned and get sunburn very easily so have always been very careful to cover up and use plenty of sun cream. I slathered my legs in cream before we set off on the canoes, but despite being out in the sun for around 5 hours straight, for some reason I can't fathom I only reapplied it again when we stopped for lunch. I know how easily I burn given half the chance so really I should have been topping it up every half hour or so. My blisters are very painful and some of them are massive already, my ankles and feet are also very swollen and sore. I couldn't wear jodhpurs today so have been at work in tracksuit bottoms and judging by the state of my skin I think it will be a couple of weeks before I can even consider riding again. Totally my fault and not expecting any sympathy as I have none for myself!

Please tell me some stories about really stupid things you have done (or like in my case, important things you have NOT done!) so I know it's not just me who can be such an idiot :mad:

I fell asleep once in a bikini burning my lower back and upper thighs (I was face down)... I couldn't sit for days!

Hope yours is feeling better soon!! Aloe Vera all the way!!

I've been burnt a couple of times.

Once when I had to work selling ice-creams outside but I didn't know until I got to work that morning and I didn't have any sunscreen so I just had do get on with it.

There was another time I fell asleep on a beach in spain and my legs burnt.

I'd say sticking my finger in my horses mouth to check her mouth as I thought something was bothering her wasn't exactly well thought out and ended up with a trip to A&E with a broken finger which required stitches and antibiotics!

Ouch, that sounds really awful. Hope it heals quickly.

I've done loads of stupid things. I think the most recent one that comes to mind is when I walked behind an excited horse to open a gate and she double barrelled me in the ribs. That hurt.

You live and learn!

I have done the sunburn thing so many times I forget them, I am so pale skinned and burn in 30 mins so no suncream means burning. I have to admit I have had the blisters as well, through a top with holes in (on purpose holes) didnt think to put cream on under the top... it was like a game of join the dots, but with blisters...

Well I will send some sympathy, you didn't deliberately set out to burn just for the heck of it! Hope it heals soon. Think I have only burnt once or twice, once when I fell asleep in the sun after an all nighter in Spain (lobster thighs anyone?!) and once as a child - but sunscreen wasn't as widely used back then - plus extra good weather was not common in our neck of the woods!

I fell asleep in the garden once for over 3 hours, no suncream as id only popped out for 5 mins!i am very pale and ended up in a&e very ill with heat stroke and burns. Was not a pretty site, i only had shorts and a crop top on so was basically everywhere. Never never again, i was so ill i never forgot it!
Sympathy coming your way as trews said, you didnt set out to burn and its awful!

Cut a tomato in half and rub it on. I too have fair skin and am anal about suncream nowadays, I feel for you but you should know better lol!!

As for idiotic things to do. Hmmmm. Most horrific one was trying to put a rug on Flipo in very windy unsettled weather to dry him off for the Backman coming. As he never wears a rug, he's not too keen on them and on that occasion he definitely wasn't keen. Cue him bolting towards the gate, 'jumping' it, falling over, rolling down the embankment and then getting up and bolting off some more to try and get the rug off. Not one of my proudest moments.

You poor thing - not really that stupid, tis easily done when you are busy having a great day the last thing you think off is re applying the suntan oil. I used to always get burnt when I was younger, red hair and freckles and before the days when we were all educated about protecting our skin, now that was stupid, why did I keep doing it if I knew how easily I burnt?:p

I couldn't even begin to admit to all the stupid things I have done through the yars, sometime when you have a good few hours to spare I will admit to some of them!:D

I feel for you. I am very pale skinned and burn a lot.

Odd though it sounds, have a bath in tea bags - put loads and loads in while you are running the bath - tannin helps a lot.

Then put natural yoghurt on - that helps far more than all the awful after sun creams around - I got sunburnt very badly in Cyprus years ago - the Greek family I stayed with recommended both and it really did help!

Ouch! I managed to give myself a farmers tan the other week by getting burnt after a day at the yard. I was wearing a strapless dress to wedding the next week. Not cool!

It was my leaving drinks last night, after far too much prosecco and some disgusting shots I had to be carried home and put to bed by my brother. I'm 29, I should no better!! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Trewsers
Ouch! I managed to give myself a farmers tan the other week by getting burnt after a day at the yard. I was wearing a strapless dress to wedding the next week. Not cool!

It was my leaving drinks last night, after far too much prosecco and some disgusting shots I had to be carried home and put to bed by my brother. I'm 29, I should no better!! :rolleyes:

Heheheeee - hope you aren't suffering too much today!!

I got sunburnt - with attractive strap marks - the day before my sister's wedding. I was chief bridesmaid, in a strapless dress, so the whole congregation got to stare at my blistering red shoulders and milky white halterneck marks for the entire duration of the wedding. It was one of only twice in my life that I've been sunburnt too, I am normally uber-careful. The marriage didn't last so it was clearly a bad omen!

In the end I had to take myself to the Urgences (A&E) on Monday afternoon as my legs were so sore I could hardly walk. A lot of nurses popped in to ogle my massive blisters - by this point the one above my left ankle was bigger than an egg yolk, and the smaller ones on my right leg were joining up - and then the doctor came to look and was surprised that I had such bad blistering for the actual degree of sunburn. He thinks wearing jodhpurs on Friday may have exacerbated it, as my legs would have been getting hotter rather than letting the skin breathe. Makes perfect sense but I really didn't think the sunburn was that bad or I would have worn jogging pants instead! He decided they needed to burst the large blisters because if they burst by themselves they could get infected. The bursting part was fine as I didn't feel it at all but when the nurse (very gently) put the burn cream on the raw patches... OUUUUUUUCH. I had the day off yesterday and today my legs feel much better - off back to the nurse in a bit to have the dressings changed. I don't think I am EVER going to let my legs see sunlight again :rolleyes:

Ooouuuch! Hope you're better soon joosie! This thread is making me realise how horse daft we all are. I mean, if this had been an injury to a horse, we'd all want to see photos of the injury site. Wonder it there's a doctors forum out there that would have folk clammering after photos of your burns?!

Reactions: Laura_107
Poor you, how horrendous. Hope they heal soon.

I very rarely get my legs out (possibly to the huge relief of the rest of the country!!)

Sounds painful Joosie, a lesson learnt I expect ! Hope your healing ok now.

newrider.com