Absolute Begginer to Showing. Please Help.

BuzzingBeth

Apr 7, 2008
West Yorkshire
Hiya guys. I have owned horses for years and currently own a 15.3hh piebald chunky cob gelding. I usually am just happy with hacks out, But now I am so wanting to get into the show ring, But I have no idea WHERE to start. For example, what classes would best suit him? How do I have his mane? Tail? ect. What do I wear? Would be so grateful for any tips/advice. Thanks so much. (Sorry for the essay :D)

Last edited:
If there is a local tack shop near you they may know of some local shows or if you know some people with horses too they might know of some.
Depends what kind of cob he is really. You could show him in a coloured class, in hand at first if you're nervous. And I'm sure there will be some sort of cob class.
Show cobs usually have their manes hogged unless they are gypsy cobs.
You should wear a show jacket probably tweed with a shirt and tie, cream/white jodphurs and brown/black boots.
:)

If there is a local tack shop near you they may know of some local shows or if you know some people with horses too they might know of some.
Depends what kind of cob he is really. You could show him in a coloured class, in hand at first if you're nervous. And I'm sure there will be some sort of cob class.
Show cobs usually have their manes hogged unless they are gypsy cobs.
You should wear a show jacket probably tweed with a shirt and tie, cream/white jodphurs and brown/black boots.
:)

Thank you, this helps a lot :):D

I know :eek: I think I may leave him traditional, He's a Gypsy cob so a lovely flowing mane and tail will look good dont'cha think? I only just bought him recently, and I had to de-louse him today. Lovely job :eek:

if hes a traditional type then leave him long and flowing ;)

for ridden you need a tweed jacket, cream/yellow jodphers, cream shirt, tie, brown gloves, show cane and long boots (black) or just jodpher boots if not showing much- but long boots look much better IMO :)and a blue velvet hat with flesh coloured harness.

he needs to wear a normal cavesson bridle with a wide noseband plain browband and either a pelham or double but a snaffle is fine at lower levels. no flash, martingales, gags, boots etc.
a gp or straight cut saddle- not a jumping one because you need to show off his shoulder, the knee rolls hide them on a jumping saddle. and no numnah or a very discreet one shaped to the saddle and either black/brown/white, depending what blends to your horse best- but not wearing one is simplest!

for inhand he can wear his ridden bridle with the reins taken over his head (snaffle bit).
you need to wear either light or dark trousers depending on the colour of his legs- light legs, dark trousers/ dark legs, light trousers. either jeans (not blue denim, or cords are popular)
your tweed, shirt and tie and a hat. hair in a hairnet in a bun, brown gloves and show cane (bamboo/leather under 30cm long i think the rule is).
think this is most things! :eek:

Ooooo please leave him traditional!!

I have a 15.3hh traditional cob mare and I wouldn't dream of hogging her gorgeous long mane and clipping her feathers it would be brutal!

There's in hand coloured and ridden coloured which are pretty much a given!

There's also the handy pony classes, which coloured cobs are notoriously good at, I know my girl is!! That is more of a fun aspect, but I suppose what is the point in showing if you don't have fun!

Get some chalk or talc for his feathers and go mad with it!! You need them to be bright bright white if you want to do well in the coloured classes. Go nuts with it you will never have too much on!
Also, I have been told that Cowboy Magic - Shine In/Yellow Out shampoo is brill for stable stains and dirty legs that coloureds are so well known for!

Here's my girl at a show last year. . .

P8140005.jpg

P8140008.jpg

P8140009.jpg

Hope this helps,

Helene

I know :eek: I think I may leave him traditional, He's a Gypsy cob so a lovely flowing mane and tail will look good dont'cha think? I only just bought him recently, and I had to de-louse him today. Lovely job :eek:

I have Pm'd you.
Show him traditional,
seeing manes on the wrong side gets to me aswel, it took me ages to tame my horses mane to the right side, but when i show him tradititional it goes both sides when we trot haha coz theres so much of it.

Here is some picci's of me and my boy showing!! Inhand and Ridden.
Puzfulgorge.jpg

traddy.jpg

Walkinginshowring5.jpg

Last edited:
IMO a tweed jacket looks better than black or blue, but if you arent doing much showing and you already have one then dont worry about it.
you only need a black jacket when showing a hack or riding horse (i think) but tweed for most classes apart from them.

This was my gypsy cob Blaze,he was kept traditional,he won in hand at county level,
i wear dark brown trousers (dark trousers for light legs and light trousers for dark legs;) a cream shirt,red tie,brown tweed waistcoat (summer)brown tweed jacket (winter),brown hat,brown boots,gloves,show cane..
My H/W lad i have now is shown in hand,i wear the same as he has 4 white legs,
he was shown traditionally last year but has now been hogged/trimmed for "show cob" classes.:D

BLAZE.
Blazephoto.jpg

Nelly (traditional,summer)
Image011.jpg

Nelly (show cob, coooold)
290308show.jpg

I do all coloured classes and cob classes, and have never been critiqued for wearing a black jacket, it looks smart and is allowed for all classes. and me and puzzle are always in the ribbons for showing :) and i certainly dont show a hack! haha!
plus they are so versitile and you can use them for jumping and dressage too! :D :p (cheap)

it depends what level you are showing at- look at large shows and you will see them all in tweed jackets.
at local level it doesnt matter (aqnd also cost issue) but if you are going to do it seriously then invest in a nice tweed ;)

at local level black blue or tweed is allowed :) but tweed is the 'correct' one
but get to county and international only tweed is allowed unless your a riding pony show pony or hack or if your in the evening performance then you wear blue :) riding horse you wear tweed ;)

If you don't already have a jacket, buy a nice tweed. :) Same for everything else - if you don't already have it and its within your budget, it's worth buying the correct gear to start with. Then if you want to sell it on it's worth more then, and if you get more into showing, you don't have as much to spend later on. ;)

You cannot do riding horse, a riding horse is a type similar to a hunter, but finer. Ridden horse, yes, but you need to read the schedule carefully. ;)

Do you have some pics of him, it depends on the individual horse as to whether they are better traddy or cob.

Keeping a traddy's mane tail and feather in good enough condition to show is a pain (IMO) and you have a constant battle against mites.

I'm a big believer in clippers :D but it does depend on your horse, how you keep him and how much hair you can stand.

If you dont have any gear then you will save money in the long run by buying the correct gear. Black jackets are never correct, you will get away with them at local level but it does look as though you dont know what you are doing.

Here's a pic of our coloured cob, no hair, easy to keep clean and show prep is a couple of hours with the clippers every few weeks. :D

By the way the turnout is just about correct, black tack is OK on a Piebald but no other colours.

ultimateshowcaseharrogate2006045.jpg

poy2005001.jpg

newrider.com