A very Strange Q.!

horse101

Apr 16, 2000
Visit site
I'm thinking of asking my instructor if I can help out sometimes at their stables...But I don't really know how to bring it up! She knows that I am "good" at horse care,and pretty good at riding so i don't think they'll be any probs in this field, and shes easy to talk to but I find it awkward cos I'm asking for something in a way, even though it would hopefully help them out!If you've managed to understand a word of this :eek: :rolleyes: then please tell me of any ideas, experiences etc! Thankx very much!!!

Most yards can always use more help! if you find asking a general question difficult then simply ask if you can untack your horse after a lesson and go on from there, or wait until she looks really rushed and ask if there is anything you can do to help.

[This message has been edited by DavidH (edited 16 April 2000).]

I do not know where you are or how old so this may not be relevant, but in the UK many stables are not allowed, due to Health and Safety legislation, to allow under 16s to help out. They would love to but the law says no and their insurance would say no if anything went wrong.

The only legitimate way under 16's can stay all day and "help" is if they are a member of a riding club run from the premmesis.

I canot quote chapter and verse but it is part of the Health and Safety at Work legislation. My daughter asked if she could help at our local stables to do her Scout horsemanship badge and was told they would love to help but they could not. They are not even supposed to allow under 16's to untack unsupervised. Other stables local to me run pony days where you pay to do the sort of things that I used to do to earn rides! In answer to the previous post I would check he stable's insurance very carefully as you could all be in trouble if there were, heaven forfend, to be an accident. I hate to be a wet blanket but the law is the law

If you start out, why don't you ask if she knows of anyone that could use some help at their stable or yard?

If she can't think of anyone, ask her if she needs any help with her horses or her stable.

Hope this helps un peu!

:cool:

Just casually suggest it. :) I felt the same way, and decided to just casually ask, and now I'm exercising stable horses and helping with grooming and bathing and cleaning tack in exchange for a free lesson per day of work! Isn't that an awesome deal????

I know what you mean! I Find it hard asking my instructor if I Can do things like mucking out stalls or hacking, it's weird, I know.
It's like you are not sure what he/she is going to say. They'll either say "Yes, Sure, that would be great" OR " no way, you're not good enough"
And it's the second response that always worries me!
I just bite my lip and go ask! I mean what's to lose? Just go for it, and IF (for some strange reason) your instructor says no, just forget about it and find some other wys to help out.
Hope that helps a little :D
-Alli

Hi

Insurance is certainly a problem and any yard that is run well will keep an eye on helpers. Unfortunately, we are becoming a "sue you" society and with the potential for accidents in a riding centre that is a daunting prospect. The yard I ride at had a problem with the parents of a child who was kicked and injured. The proprietor had declared - in writing - that no-one was allowed in the ties without adult supervision and the injured child had been dumped by her parents well before time and left alone on a yard she shouldn't have been on at all and of course the owner knew nothing of her presence... still, her parents took offence and tried suing the school - unsuccessfully, but it left its mark. So, if you are under 16 try asking if you can do work experience for a week or two. If you are an adult, things are less fraught. If you are competent around horses I guess your instructor would be glad of the help - esp. if it can be offered on a regular basis.

newrider.com