a treeless saddle question

Dannii5691

Owned by Ponies!
Nov 16, 2009
Is there any different fitting rules for treeless saddles re length

could a pony that can take a 14.5" treed get away with 15" or even 16" treeless?

Sorry if its a stupid question but its one I have no idea about

Depends on the make Treeless are measured differently I have a 17" and a 17.5" sensation saddle the base is approx 19-20" which is one of the shortest base sizes available,freeform do short base and standard base the short base is 20" and can take upto a 17" seat the standard larger you need to find the base length,malaika can only just take a 17" saddle 16.5" is better but the sensation fits great as the base is short :) hope that makes some sense!

Its for the little monster. Ive finally lined up a loaner for her but the saddle I have in mind (that ive seen advertised) is a 16" libra and she can take up to a 14.5" treed

I know it will look big but I thought that re weight distribution it wiuld be better than her trying to squeeze into a 14.5 treed

I wouldn't say there are necessarily rules, more guidelines.

A pony that takes a up to a 15" treed would want a short base, you can get models that are 18" The issue is whether the rider then fits in, that short tends to have the shorter flaps and so more aimed at children, not adults. But a small size 8 adult is usually OK.

I can change my seat, Freeform, as I had the saddle made for my pony-length wise and seat size for me, if someone else rode in it, it could be altered up to a 17"
Torsion, Barefoot, Freeforms and the Solution now come very short at 18"

Eta, if its not new ask them to measure the base, the older types had a 21" base. Libra doesn't do a 16" only a 15" with 19" base and the 17" with the 21"
The BRS has the 19" base with seat sizes from 13 to 16"

Last edited:
The underside length is much more useful to compare :) madam had the 15"/19" under libra :)
489687f3.jpg

If I saw a sign kike that id have to put up a teeny x pole and jump it

you know like the no bombing rule at the swimming baths :redcarded:

She's 11'2-11'3. The saddle is well bedded down in this pic - so does look so bizarre it looked awful to start with!

And it's an open school nearby - which is free to use - no jumping as there is a jumping field next to it, to protect the surface and also te surface is quite hard so I imagine it wouldn't be great for the legs!

The only (good quality) treeless saddle on the market for a small pony is the FlexEE which you can get in 15". Most other makes are just far too big - and if the rider cannot fit in the 15" FlexEE - then the only alternative is a bareback pad.

The only (good quality) treeless saddle on the market for a small pony is the FlexEE which you can get in 15". Most other makes are just far too big - and if the rider cannot fit in the 15" FlexEE - then the only alternative is a bareback pad.

Libra used to do a 12" saddle, as do barefoot. Libras are entry level saddles, but mine has lasted four years without quibble - the only damage is the covering starting to wear - purely cosmetic.

Both libra and barefoot get good reviews.

I have seen the flexee and it is lovely but it is considerably more than the libra - justifiably so, but sometimes budgets come into the decision. I don't know the underside length of the flexee however.

Budget is a main thing as its for a pony I have sat on once and will never ever ride.

I have looked at a flexee for cob and was told even though I was under the 15st weight limit my size would need an 18" which was "far to long for my cob" ... despite being able to fit comfortably into a 16.5 / 17" in treed

I am not a fan of the customer service

I shall look into these. Rider atm is about 10 st and about 4ft 10, size 12

If they are a size 12 then I would say they would be too big for the saddles you are thinking off. The Barefoot 0 is up to a size 8, it could be a bit of squash. Are they not too heavy for the pony at 10 stone?

newrider.com