A thought provoking day

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Went to see parents today and mum warned me she'd dug out lots of old pics!lol well OH has never seen many of me as a child despite us being together since we were 16! Anyway, there was several of me riding a donkey and one of me on a mule:D OH paid me such a lovely compliment he said I looked so confident! Hehehee made my day that did! It was so weird tho, haven't looked back af the family pics for ages - my poor dad has dementia and it was sort of weird looking at photos of him and then seeing him today but we had a laugh:) and then another strange thing happened - an old friend whom neither OH and I have seen for over ten years arrived - what a coincidence! A day of memories. Anyway just wanted to share - and now of course I am remembering all my childhood rides (not that there were many!) and also realised how I have changed in size:p:rolleyes:o_O lol I used to have bones..........:p:D
Anyone else like looking through old pics? I've really enjoyed it.

Reactions: joellie
Oh its great to look at old photo's that haven't surfaced in years, I always get a good laugh.:p:D You describing the one of you on the mule reminds me of an old pic of me on one of our holidays in Donegal, I must have been about 8 years old and we came across this man with his horse and cart giving rides(well he charged money lol) so of course i begged my parents , my dad gave in as usual ;) My mum,dad and little sis all rode in the cart but i got to ride a horse that was tied to the back of the cart...boy did i feel important, i thought i was the best thing ever but years later when i saw the pic their was me on this big hairy horse tied to the back of a cart trudging along a road with my freckles, pig tails, shorts and sandals, i couldn't stop laughing looking at the pic...still makes me smile when i think of it :D

Reactions: Trewsers
I love to see old photo's not necessarily of me, although I was a very cute kid and yeah I had bones too back then, when Mum died my brothers made a collage of photo's of her/Dad and us and one of my favourite pictures ever was of my gorgeous Dad with me in his arms looking out over hawswater (I think) and my big brother standing next to him, it's a stunning photo and brings back so many memories from my wonderful childhood (I was a very lucky child) most of my Dad's old photo's of me are either on a pony/donkey or rocking horse! I was a pony mad child. :)

I LOVE photos.... old and new. As you are probably aware, I take thousands and thousands and at last count, have about 37,000 stored in hard drives, which I have just taken over the past ten years alone! That doesn't include the thousands of proper photographs I have - and I recently inherited all my mum's AND all my nan's so many are duplicates of my kids as babies!!

Just giggling to myself at the contrast the post would read if you had been visiting OH's rellies instead! :p

Reactions: Trewsers and joosie
I didn't know you were into photography domane! But I am the same, current count 62,830 jpeg files since 2008 :eek: and no doubt rising considerably over the next couple of years :D I have organised all my France photos into a database on Lightroom but haven't even touched the others! Digital photography has LOT to answer for.

I'm not into photography per se, Joosie.... I just like taking photographs and recording my life. I enjoy looking at them again and again but rarely print them off. Dom has recently got "into" photography and has bought himself a decent camera, lenses and a tripod. And already wants a better camera. He also joined our local photography club and disappears off every Thursday evening to listen and learn..... I'm so glad that he's finally got an independent hobby and isn't just tagging along with me to see the horses!!

I'm not into photography per se, Joosie.... I just like taking photographs and recording my life. I enjoy looking at them again and again but rarely print them off. Dom has recently got "into" photography and has bought himself a decent camera, lenses and a tripod. And already wants a better camera. He also joined our local photography club and disappears off every Thursday evening to listen and learn..... I'm so glad that he's finally got an independent hobby and isn't just tagging along with me to see the horses!!
Be careful domane, this is what my OH does and his favourite model to photograph is me! He isn't in a phoyography club but has had quite a bit of tuition form a local photographer and he loves it, he's tried to explain it all to me bot it's way to complicated.
I too love that he's got his own 'hobby' now too.

I didn't know you were into photography domane! But I am the same, current count 62,830 jpeg files since 2008 :eek: and no doubt rising considerably over the next couple of years :D I have organised all my France photos into a database on Lightroom but haven't even touched the others! Digital photography has LOT to answer for.

@joosie do you use lightroom to edit your photo's too? Hubby was admiring your autumn photo's the other day and was waffling on about your composition and lighting etc etc, do you shoot in RAW and convert to jpeg?
I remember when every photo had to be perfect as no option of editing much back in the day, I love digital photography for that.

When we've moved house I'm going to enjoy digging out all my old photo albums of which there are many, long before the digital age.

How lovely! I do love photos as well. My gran had a huge trunk of photos and holidays as a child were spent pouring over these. Hubby has a box of old photos of his childhood in Germany (his dad was RAF) and I enjoy ribbing him about his fashion choices :p

Reactions: Trewsers
@joosie do you use lightroom to edit your photo's too? Hubby was admiring your autumn photo's the other day and was waffling on about your composition and lighting etc etc, do you shoot in RAW and convert to jpeg?
I remember when every photo had to be perfect as no option of editing much back in the day, I love digital photography for that.

Yes I do my editing in Lightroom. I try not to edit too much as I think photos lose their impact when they start to look less natural, but a little tweak here and there (lifting shadows in a dark corner or cropping out a telegraph pole for example!) can make a massive difference to the overall look of the image. I don't shoot in RAW because my laptop can't handle files that big! Poor thing is old and grumpy and just overheats & shuts down when it decides there's too much data to process. It's ok, my brain works in pretty much the same way :p

Thanks to Lightroom I've also discovered that it's quite fun to play around with special effects every now and again. For example I have taken hundreds of photos of this client and her horse showjumping so in the interests of variety I occasionally do an edit that gives her something a little different!

DSC02433-1 (800x784).jpg

Incidentally this horse sadly died on Friday morning following complications from major colic surgery :( He was a marvellous horse with a massive fan club and lots of people are shocked and upset about what's happened but of course nothing like his poor owner who has had him since he was a foal and is absolutely devastated. Her daughter (Mouse's rider) and son have grown up with him and her husband loved him as well so as a family they are a bit of a mess really :( She has been going through my photos of him on Facebook which I've taken over the last 4 years talking about all the great memories they represent and saying how she'll be able to look back at them for years to come and remember how much fun they had together. It's nice to know that they will go some way to bringing her comfort. The above photo is one of the ones I took of them on Sunday, it was the last round they ever jumped together and now that she's lost him the photos have taken on so much more meaning.

Photos don't MAKE memories of course, but they can bring them back to life. That's why I love photography so much. It's not even the quality of a photo that matters, but what it shows and what it means to you.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
newrider.com