A Storm update

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Well, we still don't have any conclusions - she's waiting for more tests, but she has gone from looking very ill and sorry for herself to back to normal. The severe lameness has gone, she is stiff in a morning, but that was normal for her anyway. She's still on the Danilon - managed to finally get it down her!:giggle:
But what an epic long saga it has been.
I was not ready to let her go;

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2851/9413633255_232b9c939c.jpg

As you can imagine, the hot weather and the flies didn't help, not on the first few days when she could barely walk out of her stable:frown:

So much has happened - I won't bore you all with the details on here - but we are waiting Lymes disease testing results - and there's been talk of a scan ruling out a tumour.

After the extensive lameness work up a couple of weeks ago, she was only able to spend a couple of days just pottering about the yard - it was so hot and this pic was taken early in the morning;

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5474/9413631159_89e26b2b65.jpg

Slowly but surely she has returned to her normal cheeky self. Part of me refuses to admit there is a possibility of a tumour - just taking each day as it comes.

This is us today - she put herself back into her box, it's hot here and full of flies!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7361/9416431824_b6bd05e2ed.jpg

Sorry, more pictures - you will all be bored of these soon!lol. She may never be sound again, not even sound enough for plodding (which is all I wanted). But, I live in hope. At first we weren't even sure if the lamenss wasn't in some way linked to the other symptoms. It was scary. I realised that just having the two horses made me worry just like I did before when Joe died. We must resolve this problem - so I will be asking lots of advice again soon as the hunt for a third herd member happens.....................

And gosh, how cross does she look! Now I KNOW she's feeling better.....

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5500/9416352330_9d32405ae0.jpg

(I think she could spy Chloe next door!)

And just so as the other love of my life doesn't feel left out - here is the gorgeous Chloe herself - loose lips aplenty;
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3684/9413589365_306400c803.jpg

And a quick Chloe snuggle;
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7286/9413585255_63ab01e066.jpg

Chloe has been such a good girl during Storm's illness. What made me cry one morning was the way she waited at the gate for her and turned around with her lovely big eyes and "asked" Storm to join her. Storm dutifully did her best and stiffly walked up behind her. They walked in companionable silence up the hill together and just put their heads down and grazed. I have waited almost two years to see this:smile:

And most of all, I wanted to thank you all on here for your support - all your kind messages and support. It has meant SO much - as you know we are quite isolated here and I don't have any real horsey friends that are on the doorstep either. Thanks to all of you.:smile:

And I know you can't make deals with the almighty and I know that you can't bargain with the devil either. But I PROMISE that if she is okay after all this I will never ever complain about any of the mundane stuff again. Will I sit on that sturdy back again? Will we ever just pootle along together with nothing much to think about? I don't know. Either way, so long as she's with me it doesn't matter. Oh, and if I do ever get to ride her again, I will NOT complain about her being on her toes - no more wussy panted behaviour from moi! I shall embrace it all.

Last edited:
Oh poor you and poor Storm :( Sounds pretty rubbish.

At least she is back to normal now. :smile: Fingers crossed it isn't a tumour. going through horsey-health issues myself just now I think you are right to just enjoy your time with her and take each day as it comes.

Rubic will only eat her Danilon in a sandwich with treacle:banghead: but at least she is eating it. How are you getting Storm to eat hers?

Oh poor you and poor Storm :( Sounds pretty rubbish.

At least she is back to normal now. :smile: Fingers crossed it isn't a tumour. going through horsey-health issues myself just now I think you are right to just enjoy your time with her and take each day as it comes.

Rubic will only eat her Danilon in a sandwich with treacle:banghead: but at least she is eating it. How are you getting Storm to eat hers?

I've been following your threads - I know what you must have gone through. Storm is eating hers mixed with molasses and speedi beet - twas the only thing that got it down her. I had the vets blessing tho - I was worried the molasses would make her fat!!

Poor storm glad she is feeling better and hope they get to the bottom of it soon.

Love chloes lips - May does that and then slaps them together in an old man gurning manner!

I'm glad you're keeping your chin up throughout all of this Trews. Its one of your babies and I know how I feel when my boy has been sick. Its devastating. I especially love the picture of Storm with her ears back. A bit of personality suggests she's still got strength and will fight whatever it is.
You're a good horsey mum and I have faith that you will get to the bottom of this and I keep everything crossed it will be ok. Thankyou for updating us. Lots of Scottish healing vibes coming Storm's way.

I've been following your threads - I know what you must have gone through. Storm is eating hers mixed with molasses and speedi beet - twas the only thing that got it down her. I had the vets blessing tho - I was worried the molasses would make her fat!!

Yeah I wasn't too chuffed about feeding her treacle but if it gets the medicine she needs into her then it can't be too bad! The vets and staff at the practice were laughing at Rubic and her sandwich. The receptionist said it was brilliant watching her eat it (she also said Rubic is a lovely wee horse which is always nice to hear)!

Thankyou for the update Trews, you are both really going through the mill!!!

Keeping fingers crossed for you and sending lots of hugs and healing vibes, you're so brave for staying so optimistic, I'm sure Storm will be picking that up from you.

Chin up chick! and we're all here should you need a rant or a chat!

Its good to hear that she is at least feeling more like her old self. You never know, it might just turn out to be one of those odd ball virus things that is never totally explained rather than anything permanently wrong with her? I really hope so for both your sakes.:twins:

I love the piccys by the way....especially the Chloe snuggle one!:biggrin:

Thanks for the update. You know we will never be bored of photos! Especially of your lovely pair. Sending lots of cooling Canadian healing vibes your way.

Oh Mrs T., am feeling your pain. What lovely photos, love the two snuggle photos, what kind eyes Chloe has.

Sending you more healing Scottish vibes and fingers crossed the improvement continues.

Take care of you missus please xxxxx

I am so glad she is back to her happy self but omg what an awful time you have had and such a worrying time still ahead of you with these tests etc :cry:

Im so so sorry you are going through all this and the uncertainty of her future ridden wise :frown:

All I can say is dont give up yet and take one day at a time trying not to worry yourself sick over it as I did that with my two and both came good. Different situation I know but hold on to a little hope without expecting much then anything additional is a bonus. I hoped for soundness for happy retirement or hacking and just took a day at a time to get through the waiting and wondering torture :unsure:

Hugs to you both xx

This is such a good thread to read and long over due.

Poor storm she is really not impressed in those pictures but chloe has been a really sweetie with her.

I felt the same when the old one was ill last year.

Thanks all again. I have put them out again this morning and it's been about a week now and Storm has stopped chasing Chloe away!!! But, what was lovely yesterday, they both had a race up to the top field - Storm won by a nose but it was a close call! lol

I'm so sorry that she has been so ill but fingers crossed that she is on the mend now. It must have been a very difficult few weeks for you.

newrider.com