A shameless 'I love my pony' post

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
I know I've not been on here too much lately as work/life has been super busy and slightly stressful but in other exciting news ... after almost five years together, lots of time, tears, the odd trip to A&E, help and lessons from everyone from my riding instructor to animal communicators and crystal healers ... Pete, the pony that I couldn't at one point give away, is turning into a bit of a superstar! Well, a superstar to me anyway - I'm not sure he'll be troubling the Olympic team anytime soon :D

A few months ago, we re-introduced canter under saddle after years of quite frankly, it being too unsafe. We've had a few 'sit-tight' moments, but nothing like it was before and at times, it almost looks and feels a bit like a grown-up canter.

Screenshot_2016-03-08-20-35-08-1_zpsgjpjanyw.png

Today, I bit the bullet and even tried him over his first ever jump. He was a bit unsure at first - he struggles with learning new things, as I think he's been severly told off at one point and he gets a bit flummoxed and goes into 'I'm not even going to try and you can't make me try' mode ... but, he's slowly taking less and less time to overcome this each time ☺

Screenshot_2016-03-12-12-35-18-1_zpshgpkcktj.png

Screenshot_2016-03-12-12-41-32_zpsendkdzmi.png

Disclaimer: I've also not jumped in about 8 years after a nasty fall - so I'm well aware, I've got 101 faults - I was just over the moon I stayed on and Pete trusted enough to try for me ☺

Sorry, this is a totally shameless thread, I know - I'm just so proud of his journey into a happy, little chap.

Threads like this are always great to read. You must feel very proud of him! Second picture he looks like his is saying this is soo much fun!! Just goes to show what can be achieved by hard work, perseverance and gaining their trust :)

Reactions: PePo
What a fab post. I don't know why you knock your jumping position either - I'm very envious of your lovely secure looking leg. Unless you were referring to the expression on your face, which, it's true, doesn't really look like Ellen Whittaker when she's doing Puissance :D:D :D

I'm so pleased for you and Pete, so glad he's enjoying himself and you're enjoying him, no wonder you're proud :)

Reactions: PePo
Certainly a different expression in the second picture. How lovely to see a pony learning to learn again :)

I can't upload it to here at the moment - but there's a photo from when I tried him and he honestly he seems like a completely different pony as he had a whole different 'look' about his face and in his eye, especially.

I've certainly learnt a whole lot more from him than I think he ever could from me.

He's still got his quirks, but he's very much part of the family - well, to Mum & I anyway. My Mum was welling up by the end - honestly, a new livery probably thought we were potty as we were making such a fuss like he'd just won Badminton or something :D I think if Mum could have whipped out a sash for him, she would have done ...!

What a fab post. I don't know why you knock your jumping position either - I'm very envious of your lovely secure looking leg. Unless you were referring to the expression on your face, which, it's true, doesn't really look like Ellen Whittaker when she's doing Puissance :D:D :D

I'm so pleased for you and Pete, so glad he's enjoying himself and you're enjoying him, no wonder you're proud :)

I've had to train myself to not move my leg un-necessarily on Pete as he gets most utterly offended if it moves when it shouldn't and doesn't hesitate to make an offended, acrobatic style point :D I'm just so rusty when it comes to jumping, I didn't really know what I was doing - just trying to stay balanced, on him without offending him, mainly!

I definitely need to find a flattering riding facial expression and not let it change:D I'm unlucky as side profile - thanks to my Grandmother's gene's - is so unflattering for me. Not a problem in real life as when do you ever see yourself side on?! But 99% of riding photo's just highlight it ...!

newrider.com