A separate mobile phone for riding?

Myfellpony

Mar 15, 2015
My mobile phone jumped out of my pocket on Tuseday and tried to drown itself in a bucket of water.
Having don’t CPR on him, I managed to save his life, but he is not quite the same as he was before the accident.

Luckily I was due an upgrade and new phone arrived on Wednesday.

I am now thinking of using only the old phone at the yard and when riding to prevent further mishaps.
Buy a PAYG SIM and just put £10 on there with just emergency numbers programmed in it.
Anyone else do this and does it work or do you end up forgetting and taking the wrong phone, or miss having your ‘proper’ phone on you?

I think it would be nice to have a spare that it's not the end of the world if a mishap like drowning does take place! Having said that we'd had our iphone a few weeks when I managed to land it down the loo (back pocket - go figure). That was a few years ago and you'd think I'd learnt my lesson, nope, happened again quite recently. So yeah, go for the spare. If it's just for the odd call or emergency I don't think you'd miss your proper one.

I got a new pair of riding tights from darkhorse this season. They are very comfortable and have fantastic long, deep pockets on the thighs for the phone. You wouldn't know it was there and it can't climb out.

If, however, your phones seem to be bent on self destruction I can see the attraction of a spare!

I tried this. I didnt work because the phone I used only for riding was used twice a week and was never properly charged at the moment I needed it.

The phone one uses all the time is nearly always charged and ready for emergencies and with data available. So I risked riding with it and have not dropped it yet. My winter riding clothes have zipped pockets for the phone, wallet and keys and in summer I wear a purse belt.
However, unlike the young yard staff I havent mastered the art of answering my phone or texting from the saddle. I need 100% of my brain for riding.

The only problem is if someone wants to get hold of you in an emergency they have to try more mobile numbers for you. A faff for them.
Agree about remembering to charge the thing regularly.
Also you have to make a call on it once every 3 months or it will get disconnected by the phone company on a payg.

I have a bumbag for summer riding when i dont have a coat. My work coat has a peice of velcro on the inside pocket to hold it in place.
My current phone droppd out of the inside pocket as the velcro was not over and cracked all the camera on the back. Now i have blurry photos.

Years ago i had a new phone, only had a month, lent over the barb wire fence and puntured the phone screen.
It partly why i dont have expensive phones in the first place.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
The only problem is if someone wants to get hold of you in an emergency they have to try more mobile numbers for you. A faff for them.
Agree about remembering to charge the thing regularly.
Also you have to make a call on it once every 3 months or it will get disconnected by the phone company on a payg.

I have a bumbag for summer riding when i dont have a coat. My work coat has a peice of velcro on the inside pocket to hold it in place.
My current phone droppd out of the inside pocket as the velcro was not over and cracked all the camera on the back. Now i have blurry photos.

Years ago i had a new phone, only had a month, lent over the barb wire fence and puntured the phone screen.
It partly why i dont have expensive phones in the first place.
That's so true about them disconnecting. They did it with my Dad's phone when he was still alive - he was old but I got him a mobile for emergency use. But he didn't use it so they just disconnected. Same with my mother's pay as you go. And mine. I was cross because I was still £15 in credit. Can't muster the will to ring them on the other phone and argue it out though.

I find it a faff, I carry a second phone on a different network when I’m doing overnight solo rides (just in case) and when I get back I try to use it to use up the credit and I end up carrying both as miss calls/messages to my main one, and of course need an app or something that’s only on my main one.

I find a runners belt the best thing for securing my main phone if I don’t have secure pockets, fits like a bum bag but no bulk to them at all and it doesn’t bounce around. And a good case is essential for me, one that covers the screen.

I have a good old trendy bumbag to put my phone it. Keeps it safe, dry and out of the way, but close to me should I need it. It may not be the coolest thing in the world, but I'm old enough not to care about that.
This is me too. Very practical I say. 😊

Reactions: Huggy
I didn’t know that about having to use it every three months. What a rip off.

I have ordered a really rugged case and screen cover. will also look into a runners belt. I find bum bags too bulky and they tend to swivel round and annoy me.

Reactions: Jessey
I didn’t know that about having to use it every three months. What a rip off.

I have ordered a really rugged case and screen cover. will also look into a runners belt. I find bum bags too bulky and they tend to swivel round and annoy me.
My ‘bumbag’ is actually a runners belt. I see them as the same thing really. It’s a small bumbag but called a ‘runners belt’ as people don’t like calling it a bumbag. But to me that is what it is.

We walked and walked in mountains long before I started to ride and we use a favourite shop in Covent Garden, London.

And North Face shop is opposite.

My ‘bumbag’ is actually a runners belt. I see them as the same thing really. It’s a small bumbag but called a ‘runners belt’ as people don’t like calling it a bumbag. But to me that is what it is.
They are certainly similar, the runners belt is just much closer fitting to prevent bouncing than a bag at your waist. I use these ones https://www.amazon.co.uk/LUPO-Runni...words=runners+belt&qid=1638877332&sr=8-7&th=1 the pockets stretch so will fit phone in but no room for it to bounce.

@Skib that’s a much slimmer one than the one I currently have and a great price too.

@Jessey that looks good too. It would probably be ok in Winter when worn over the top of a jumper, but would be too big for me in Summer over the top of a tee shirt. I will have a look to see if anyone does a smaller size.

@Skib that’s a much slimmer one than the one I currently have and a great price too.

@Jessey that looks good too. It would probably be ok in Winter when worn over the top of a jumper, but would be too big for me in Summer over the top of a tee shirt. I will have a look to see if anyone does a smaller size.
The one I have is really adjustable and an elastic belt, I wear it over a Tshirt, but I'm not exactly skinny ;)

newrider.com