A sad end.

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Sorry if this is long but just wanted to update anyone who may be interested.

As you may know I got Oscar on loan from the Blue Cross just over two years ago, he is a lovely gentle boy and for the first 12 months or so we were doing great together. Had lessons all through summer last year to get him working nicely forward and properly through his back and he was a joy to ride and watch, also had groundwork lessons which he picked up really quickly and seemed to thoroughly enjoy.
I am not sure what happened but a chain of events led to me losing my confidence big time, Oscar being a rather sensitive soul picked up on that and lost his confidence big time in me.... we were going down in an inward spiral and although I tried to 'man up' I let him down everytime we tried to hack out, eventually got to the point where we couldn't even get off the yard.
So after much soul searching and a lot of heartache I decided to let him go back to the Blue Cross to find someone who could deal with him and show him the way, I miss him so much.
I couldn't and didn't want to be there when they came to pick him up so said my goodbyes in the morning of his last day, Oscar was never a cuddly horse but that morning he broke my heart as he came over for his morning head rub and just rested his beautiful head on my shoulder and allowed me for the first time to put my arms around his neck and give him a proper hug.... had me in sobbing so hard. I'll never forget him and all that he taught me about horses and myself.
Have added a little pic of him on the last morning .... good bye my beautiful boy, I know someone out there with more courage than me is going to be very lucky to have you in their life.

Attachments

• 2012-05-17 06.50.31.jpg
    2012-05-17 06.50.31.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 35
AW so sorry to hear that Kite Rider, its always a hard decision to part with a Horse and of course you become attached.

But confidence is a very fragile thing and it sounds as though you made the right decision for both of you...........a 'brave' decision to make:wink:

I am sorry to hear this but it sounds like you have made the right decision for both of you, a really tough one, but the best one.

Oh how sad for you both, I'm sorry to read this kiterider. I guess making difficult decisions is what being an adult is about sometimes. It sucks doesn't it! I wish you all the best in finding your confidence again in the future and hope Oscar is ok.

know your pain

i had a couple of horses on loan and had to send them back - it is very painful to admit that they are not for you.

he looks lovely, but sharp. hope he can find the right home, the next person who took my neurotic tb mare loan kept her - when i got her she had been rehomed several times and was a serial misbehaver...

I think it takes more guts to admit your shortcomings and put him away.
Don't stay out of the saddle too long x

This. You have my absolute admiration for the way you have dealt with this and I wish you all the best with the horses in your life in the future.

Congratulations on making a hard decision , you are right to do it if you were losing your confidence & he was losing his in you as you could have ended up spoiling him. I hope the Blue Cross realise just what you have done & maybe they can find you one that will boost your confidence again,good luck :smile:

I think you were very brave taking on a horse from the Blue Cross in the first place, and even more brave in admitting he was not the horse for you, but you definitely gave it your best shot. As someone else said, it takes guts to do that. I am so sorry to hear that it hasn't worked out for you, do you have any plans to find another? Hopefully he will find the right person for him. Big hugs xx

Thank you all for your kind words.... I only wish I could have been brave enough or a better rider to be able to sit out his panic attacks but I wasn't, I'm sure there will be someone out there who is confident enough to cope with him and show him it's ok and look after him when he's scared of stuff.

I've been trying lots of horses since I knew he was going back (it's much harder this time round as I knew Oscar so well and everything I try I am trying not to compare to him if that makes sense) and I think I may have found a nice little horse who will suit me, we'll see, although it appears you have to be very quick this time of year as quite a few I've looked at have gone within days of advertising, I guess everyone wants a safe happy hacker!

Thank you all again, it was very difficult decision and one I didn't take lightly.

You have done the 'right thing'. Shame it didn't work out but don't let it get you down, use it as a learning curve. Take time and have a good look around before you get the next one. Keep up with your lessons to restore your confidence and don't push yourself to hard. The 'right' horse for you is out there I am sure:smile:

I think it takes more guts to admit your shortcomings and put him away.
Don't stay out of the saddle too long x

This,^^^^^ with brass knobs on. You are one sensible person with a lot of courage, now go and find a horse you do get on with.

You are very brave and honest about yourself and the horse. However, that horse has taught you a valuable lesson in life so be proud of him.

It way be a sad end, for you, but you said yourself that you had a fantastic 12 months or so where this went well. You both progressed and thats to be celebrated. You've helped to develop that horse and am now entrusting him to someone who take take him further still.

A sad ending for you, a new beginning for him x

newrider.com