A question for the ladies!

LittleD

Jan 3, 2003
Welsh border
Visit site
Just been told that I need a hysterectomy and it's sheduled for two weeks time! I don't know anyone who has gone through this first hand and certainly don't know anyone who has had this op and rides horses, so here goes, has anyone out there had any experience of this operation or knows someone who has, I don't expect I'll be able to ride for months after this, I only just found out the op was to be so soon, so probably in panic mode at the mo.

Sorry to all the gents on this site to bring up this subject, that's why I entitled it - a question for the ladies, but if you have a partner or know someone who has been through this op please feel free to post.

thanks

First of all - try not to panic!

Funnily enough I've just been speaking on the phone to someone who has had a hysterectomy six weeks ago. She has made a great recovery.

Your case will depend on what sort of op you are having. This lady had keyhole surgery, but had quite extensive repairs as well as the hysterectomy done. She was told not to lift or drive for six weeks.

If you aren't having keyhole surgery its possible that it may take longer for you to recover. Do you know which it is?

Apparently you will feel absolutely grotty for the first few days. She did mention that she felt she'd been kicked in the stomach by a horse, not that she rides though. Shortly after that she said that she felt remarkably well. One thing she did mention -*whispers* scrupulous hygiene. She was almost paranoid about it as she didn't want to get an infection, which is something to look out for.

*Hugs* to you though and good luck.

I know several people that have had this operation and none of them were too poorly after. :) So try not to worry.

Unfortunately I don't know anybody that had it and rides, so best thing to do would be to ask your doctor (and then take at least 2 weeks of their estimate ;)).

Won't be that bad. One of my dogs had it as well and she was jumping fences 3 days after. :D

My sister started riding about a year after she had had her hysterectomy. She hadn't ever ridden beforehand and is perfectly fine.

She returned to work 13 weeks after the op but was still a bit tender and - she has a job which involves occasional heavy lifting - there was quite a lot she couldn't do for a few months.

What does your gynaecologist say?

Thank you all for the replies, I guess I shall know more after the pre-op next week, I feel a bit out on a limb really, not knowing anyone in my position to compare notes with but for a guess it will be like all other ops and I'll just have to do as much as I feel comfortable doing, as I said I only found out the operation date today and flew straight into panic mode.
Thanks again, I'm calming down a bit now!

You poor thing. Hopefully you will make the swiftest of recoverys and be riding again before you know it. Good luck, lots of love and hugs being sent toi you. xxxxxxxx

Just want to wish you all the best for your op.

No experience of this myself I'm afraid, although I know someone who has horses, but she didn't ride. She had the op a few years ago. I remember she was bad for several months.
She wasn't supposed to drive, I think it was for about two months and I know when she did start to drive she found it hard to press the clutch pedal in and out on the car. So you might find it difficult to do any trotting or cantering initially when you get back on. Make sure you use a mounting block, cause it might be painful to haul yourself up.
She wasn't allowed to do any lifting, not even lifting the kettle for a cup of tea or cooking for a few weeks after the op.

I hope you have someone who can be on hand to help you. Put your feet up I say and take it easy. If you do as your told you'll be back on your feet in no time.

If you are bad you won't care about riding. I know the horses might become a bit unfit with some time off, but think of it this way, it could be quite nice to just have a saunter out to the horses and have some chill out bonding time with them. AH:D

Hope all goes well.

I have a friend who rides regularly and had a hysterectomy a few years ago. I don't know the details of the operation or recovery but she is 100% doing all kinds of ridden and ground work now. I remember a friends mum having one years ago as well. She had bed rest for 2 weeks and it did take her a while to be able to move around but she did make a complete recovery and could do all the things she used to.

I really hope that you have a quick recovery and get back in the saddle soon.

My mum had one
You have to wait 12 weeks before even thinking about yard work and riding (for fear of straining all the internal stitching).
When you do start riding again it's worth keeping it slow and steady. Also watch out dismounting. Although incorrect, its easier to take both feet out of your saddle and then swing your right leg over the horses neck and slide down. If you fold over and swing right leg behind it can cause some pain).

As long as you take things slowly, you should be fine! My mum had no complications and was looking like 'normal' after 6 weeks.

Poor you, lots of hugs,:) no experience i'm afraid, but wanted to say all the best and hope it all goes well xxx

One for the Ladies

LD have PM'd you as had one 7 years ago. Just take one day at a time and don't rush - just because other people are okay and out and about after 6 weeks, it doesn't always work like that - just do what you feel is okay and no more and do some pelvic floor exercises works wonders. Best of luck hon.

My mum had a hysterectomy last year. I won't go on about it as Iit has nothing to do with horses, but it really doesn't have to be the palava it seems.
I wish you all the best and lots of hugs hun)))))))))))))))))))))))))

i had hyserectomy in 2000 at 29, you really need tot take one day at a time it was 12 weeks before i could ride again and 12 months before i felt 100% better your body gets tired very easily and the worst thing you can do is think oh dont feel too bad today so i will do bit more, you will pay for it!!!!! but once fully recovered it was the best thing i ever had done good luck you will be fine but listen to your body

Thank you all for your messages and kind thoughts, they were just what I needed to hear.

I have sat and written some lists over the weekend and think I have got everything covered, horse wise that is, I've been told 12 weeks before riding as well, seems like an eternity at the mo, to be honest (and not going into detail I'm sure the chaps on this site don't want to hear about it) but this "problem" has really been affecting how often I got to ride anyway, at least once it's done, it's done and I can look forward to getting back in the saddle, a couple of circuits in walk will do me for a while and I'll work up gradually day by day dependind on how I feel, I can get a lift to the stable quite a bit so I can go and give horsey a treat and keep contact.

Things don't look quite so bad now, I needed to take a deep breath and get out of panic mode.

Thanks again for all the messages.

Thanks Lexter, I'm going to have a 1001 questions coming into my head over the next couple of weeks.

LD

hiya

i had one aged 36

10 to 12 weeks before going back to work-i worked in a library and it was very physical (books are heavy!!!)

back to riding about 4 weeks after that

i might have been bored and sick of not being able to do stuff BUT it was soooooooo worth it

have never looked back

chin up hon--you'll get through it:)

I had a total hysterectomy 2.5 years ago. I didn't let it get to me. After the op I found I'd been hooked up to help yourself pain relief - which was great.

Then I left hospital and got on with life. I was told not to drive but I did. Told not to ride but I did. I just got on with everything.

The only thing i'd suggest is that it may be good to take HRT. I was a little way into my menopause but afte the op was plunged into it.. which isn't nice!

Good luck!

I was told a few years back I should have a hysterectomy as I have a large fibroid. This was causing me no probs at all. I didn't go into hospital as I didn't want to get MRSA - so I left it. Now I've gone through the menopause, still have my fibroid which is much much smaller. It wasn't causing any problem in the first place luckily. I know after a hysterectomy you cant ride for quite a while. I think it would probably be too uncomfortable anyway. I think gynaecologists should find another way of sorting the problems out besides "spaying" women, unless it's absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
I didn't have the full hysterical rectomy, but I had an ovary removed a few years ago. It got a bit big and had to go. I ended up looking more pregnant than I looked when I actually was.

Anyway the first two weeks were sore, with a capital S. Then at week 3 I felt much better and started trimming the odd foot, at the end of week 3 I was back riding the reliable ones.

Your op will be more serious, so take it steady.

It will also depend upon how fit you were to start with as to howwell you feel afterwards.

AS Frances says, do what you can and no more. You will feel exhausted just walking about for a while.

newrider.com