A question for the ladies. I am fine :)

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
And I'm sorry to ask this on here but I've tried googling and I can't find an answer.

Basically I need to get something checked and I don't feel comfortable asking my doctor - They told me that it doesn't need checking because of my age. Even though its probably nothing I really would like someone to look at it before they tell me that.

Is there anywhere else apart from a doctor's that I can go to get checked? I was thinking about a family planning clinic but not sure. Again sorry to ask this on here but I don't have anyone in my life I can talk to about this and its worrying me.

Please go back to your gp ask to see a female gp and explain that you are worried and ask them to examine you to confirm is nothing before they just dismiss it.

Reactions: Trewsers
I would ask to see your practice nurse, they are very highly skilled and I find generally happier to help than some GP's, explain that you want it checked even if the likelihood of an issue at your age is slim.

We have health practitioners at our surgery who deal with all "lady problems" and they are brilliant and nicer than the doctors! Would definitely ask to see the equivalent at your surgery or a female doctor, whatever the problem is don't let the doctors fob you off

Reactions: Trewsers
What everyone says - my first port of call for anything like that is our practice nurse who is also a qualified midwife and deals with all manner of stuff! I am also lucky as both gps are ladies - so quite easy to talk to. Please don't worry Ale - but do get it checked if you're worried. You're too young to let worries spoil your time!!Txxxx

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I was just thinking, how I get through awkward conversations like that, is to keep thinking to myself, they picked this career they can't be that uncomfortable so why should I be :)

That is so true! I find it hard to discuss things like that (don't we all?!) but I think on the whole they are very good at putting you at ease. I always feel so relieved afterwards.

Reactions: Jessey
There should be a sexual health clinic at your local hospital that you can visit in confidence. Whatever it is, it's always worth checking yourself out for peace of mind.

Thankyou everyone, does anyone know if practise nurses can do breast exams? The only thing I remember a practice nurse doing is ripping a giant plaster off a wound. Blergh.

Mine does do breast exams. I suffer badly with cysts on my boobs and groin and my nurse always checks them out. If needs be she will refer me to the doc :)

Reactions: MrA
Well, they're always telling us to check ourselves, so I'm sure a practice nurse would be able to. I'm sure asking your doctor would be ok, though - doctors deal with embarrassing things all the time, and it doesn't worry them. Or, if it's that particular doctor, you could ask to see a different one, or ask if there's a woman doctor in the practice. You could also try googling NHS walk-in clinics - I keep reading about them, but I'm not sure what they do. Whichever you choose, it's important to get it checked, even if just for your own peace of mind.

Thankyou both of you very helpful. I know its nothing but I want to get it checked. My mother had aggressive breast cancer at a young ish age.

I told the female doctor about it and expected
her to ttake a look but she said it would be nothing to worry about and to come back if its not gone in a few months

Yes I did mention her. I've got another appointment thurs and happens to be a female doc so if it is a different one I will ask again!

Reactions: Jessey
If your doctors continue to give you the brush off, call your local breast clinic. I can't remember where you are but I am sure there will be one. Someone will help you do the examination and (I hope) reassure you that all is well.

I am cross with your doctor. When I went a few years ago because my left boob was sore - not lumpy, just sore - I was off for a mammogram quick sharp. I hate mammograms but it's better to be sure, to be sure

I think its just due to my age, I'm 25, so I guess they are just assuming it is to do with hormones. But I've never had anything like this before and it doesn't hurt at all which I thought hormonal changes did. Anyway will see if I can get them to look on thurs, if not I will try and find a clinic. Or book to see the nurse. Thankyou.

newrider.com