a question about withers.

TNT

Jul 8, 2001
Fairfield Montana
Visit site
Ok! This may be a stupid question but, what about withers on a horse? My neighbor asked me today about them and why do people look at them when buying a horse? Is it about how a saddle will fit or about how it effects or affects a horses performance say like if your are looking for a good cutting or reining horse. I couldn't answer the question so I thought I'd ask you guys. I hope I didn't spell anything wrong but I do happen to have a few beers in me. I spent the day at a Clinton Anderson clinic. What fun!

I haven't really seen a horse with withers unusual enough to affect a sale but generally the height of a horse is measured at the withers.
So in effect it tells you how far you are going to fall... ;)

Well, I know people look at the withers specifically to check for spinal problems of those vertebra. However, it is also a key point for checking conformation. The measurements of the spine (one being the poll to the withers) can affect the horses physical ability to collect and perform the paces correctly.

Here is a website which talks about measuring the spine and the affects the spinal dimensions have on the horses movement if you're interested.

http://www.leeziegler.com/howtoart.html

There is an exercise that you can do to manipulate each of the vertebra of the withers.. it's a chiropractic thing, and basically it checks the movement of each of the vertebra, which tells you about possible tension, one-sidedness and flexion/bend, and other back problems.

So checking the withers in this respect can tell you about possible future issues.

I've never heard of wither height, in and of itself, being a main concern in terms of judging movement or soundess. All else being equal, moderately high withers are nice because they make saddling easier. Too low, and the saddle tends to roll or slide forward. Too high, and saddle fitting can be difficult. However, there are solutions for either problem, so I can't imagine the height of the withers being a deal breaker.

Some people look at the relative height of wither and croup to judge how "uphill" a horse is, but I've heard and read that the relative height of the elbow and the stifle is a better index for this. In any case, if I understand correctly, "uphill" conformation isn't as coveted in reining and cutting horses as it is in, say, jumpers and dressage horses.

newrider.com