A (probably stupid) question about horse boots

Keket

Jan 26, 2004
Can splint boots be worn on the fronts and backs or just the fronts? I thought they could be used on both, but then realised that I'd never seen splint boots on the backs. And if they're not used on the backs, then what would be used?

For speed events, I should say, not for constant use, just in case the horse happens to hit itself while running (she's a younger horse and is still prone to trips, stumbles and random lead changes).

are we talkin about tendon boots?
they are only used on the front becasue they are tough/ rigid around the back of the leg where the horse might catch itself (particualy when jumping) with its hoof.

when i am jumping i tend to use wrap arounds on all 4, as they are support the leg and give adaquate protection from striking and generally knocks and bumps.

No, not tendon boots. Tendon boots are open in the front (at least all the ones I've seen are). Splint boots are closed and cover the inside of the leg, like this:
e05tok-boot10_561.jpg

I'm wondering if I can use these on fronts and backs or if an ankle boot might be more appropriate for the back.

We have had couple of trot racers that had to have that sort of boots in the hind legs, they just were longer than those in the picture. So I would assume the answer to your questions is yes. :)

Nina x

Edit: I think in your case the ankle boots would probably be more appropriate, as you would not do any high speed racing?

We have had couple of trot racers that had to have that sort of boots in the hind legs, they just were longer than those in the picture. So I would assume the answer to your questions is yes. :)

Nina x

Edit: I think in your case the ankle boots would probably be more appropriate, as you would not do any high speed racing?

It's barrel racing, so it is speed, but certainly we won't be hitting the speeds that trotters hit. Like I said, it's mainly if she happens to scuff herself while running (which I noticed she did while turned out the other day :rolleyes: ). Perhaps something like this?

Splints boots are different from tendon boots.

Splint (aka brushing boots) can be used for all fours.

Tendon boots, however, are only used for the fronts. (The backs woudl be fetlock boots :))

I use the short ones on my jumper. And my coach uses the short ones on all of her jumpers. I am not sure why, but I have only seen them on jumpers.

I think the fetlock boots are used on hinds in jumpers rather than full brushing boots because they are less bulky and don't restrict the movement of the hind leg, whereas the full brushing boots can restrict how far the horse can tuck its hind legs up as far as it can during jumping. They really only make a difference in jumping, although they probably are more comfortable for the horse too.

Cerys :)

Echo Jetsreem! The longer boots are good for trotters as they mainly go straight and are not required to bend their legs too much even when going into the curves (where they really need the boots!). But for jumping and In Keket's case, barrel racing, the shorter ones would be a lot better as they don't restrict the movement! :)

Nina x

Echo Jetsreem! The longer boots are good for trotters as they mainly go straight and are not required to bend their legs too much even when going into the curves (where they really need the boots!). But for jumping and In Keket's case, barrel racing, the shorter ones would be a lot better as they don't restrict the movement! :)

Nina x

Then I shall go with the ankle boots! Not to mention the fact that they're on sale... :D

newrider.com