a physio question

J Leahy

Apr 7, 2010
the horses are having physio tomorrow as i thought they could do with a once over- i had arrange to go for a hack with friends but then thought it maybe better not to do anything with them afterwards ? what do others normally do?

When Izzy has a massage or the osteo I don't ride him until the next day. Sometimes he has the next day off if the osteo has done a lot with him.

It depends on how much they are doing to them. A gentle hack after would probably be okay. Although I prefer to give him the day off for his body to just settle and so he can relax.

I would be surprised if the physio didn't recommend giving your horses 24 hours off afterwards just so everything settles with them. I know that in doing Equine Touch I always tell the owners and handlers to do a normal routine for turn-out and feeding, but just no riding or even grooming for 24 hours as the use of brushes (for ET anyway) can literally undo the work I've done! I think with all bodywork routines, it is a good idea to make sure there is extra fresh water available as they may go through a detox process at the same time. Hope your gang have a good workout and there's nothing major to sort!

Edited to add: one of the horses I do ET on needs a full three days off after his session, but that is unusual! You will find out for yourself if the horse is comfortable during a ride later on, or not :biggrin:

im quite nervous about it as my 25 yr old is fine nipping about hacking but a little stiff when u pick out his back feet recently i hope its tight muscles rather than arthritis or something he has joint aid and codlevine iv e only had him one year well im sure it will do them both good anyway!

newrider.com