A phewmunous Silver update and exciting exciting news! :D

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
Im not sure who has been following Silver stuff as I have been posting all over the place (vets, NH, saddlery, cafe....etc etc)

However... this is where we are at :D:

I HAVE OFFICIALLY BOUGHT MY BABY GIRL!!!!

_MG_2688-2.jpg

She is now all mine, and despite her "quirks" I love her to bits. I am under no illusions that she is not the perfect pony, and has a lot of problems and niggles... and nor am I the perfect rider or handler for her - but together we are getting there :D

So the other updates...

SWEET ITCH:

We are finally totally in control (apart from when she rips her rugs, like today :rolleyes:). I had obviously been thinking too much about the update and jinxed us!!! I am washing her tail every other day in menthol anti-dandruff shampoo and using a fine comb to comb out all scurf etc time. She hasn't obviously itched in over two weeks on her tail. Mum is has also bought me a new hoody for her for Xmas... Tres exciting!!!!! Also... we have definitley grown our tail recently!!!! We are now heading towards a normal length tail!

SADDLE:

She is still as fat as anything - and depsite buying her a muzzle (which has rubbed her something rotten) - she put back on in minutes what she lost the week she wore the muzzle :rolleyes:. However I have purchased a libra treeless saddle, and she seemed to like it today wahoo! The big test will be next time I put it on her - she is very clear with saddles if she is uncomfy or not. Other than the slipping it was great!

RIDING:

She has lost all her fitness as I haven't ridden her for nearly 2months really, if not slightly more if you exclude two wander round the blocks in walk and half a walk bareback where I fell off :p. I rode her for the first time on Saturday, and although we just wandered about in walk, and she napped like a mad thing, it was so nice to be back riding. I have now taken to riding her to the field when turning her out too and rode today in the new treeless. We have to go slow as fitness is horrendous, but I don't mind - I haven't ridden for so long that its nice to spend the time together in this way - she is very fed up of ground work thats for sure!

LUNGING:

We had a bit of an escapade on Saturday lunging, wherby she freaked and bridle flew off :eek:. However, she now gets the concept so will be perservring with this for fitness too - probably riding 2x week and lunging 1-2x week. (Previously I couldnt get her to understand lunging on one line, managed just about on two, then she cast a shoe and went lame, but didnt have enough hands to use whip to make her go forwards when on two lines!)

HOME:

I am going to be moving her to a new home towards the end of October/beginning of Novemeber - We are now going to have a school to use for groundwork and schooling too - so this will hopefully be good! Will also have less barbed wire to shred sweet itch rugs on, and is still windy to blow midges away wahoo!!! All three of my house shopping criteria met!

BEHAVIOUR:

I have always struggled with her biting/kicking. However, I have been feeding her magnesium oxide... and as sceptical as I am... I think it might be working :eek: Dont get me wrong - it hasn't changed her personality - but it has made the aggression much more minimal :D. I have also been doing some self-adapted NH type stuff with her to allow me to pick her feet up, and also been using it in the field when she is aggressive to catch (in a sort of approach and retreat way). She is coming round nicely to these - I cant wait to have a school to be able to do this in a safe enclosed space!

So... all in all... too much news really! but one happy me and one unbothered but definitley less grumpy about everything ponio!!! Wahoooooooooooooo!!!!

_MG_2747-1.jpg

fab news, you need to add me on fb btw before we all get kicked outta here, we were going to have a big person on tiny ponies that buys them at stupid times remember.......
its vicki smith (leeds)

Yes, I don't know what I would do without the forum... Yeah I'm lame haha.

I come on here both when Im excited about stuff and when I need answers, but also enjoy answering everyone elses stuff too :)

Esp when I move to the new yard Im not sure there will be many other liveries around and this means I wont really have anywhere else to ask for help from!

I have come across so many knowledgable, helpful people on here - who have helped the two of us with so much - we are sloly getting there and I dont think without the help I have had we would have got this far this quick :D

newrider.com