A new saddle for Buddy

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
At the age of 24, we are looking for a new saddle for the boy. Hope he doesn't see this as a reason to go for early retirement. He has an albion at the moment, which fits him very well but not great for me, so going to another Albion with deeper seat and some blocks so hopefully will help me stay in place a bit easier.

Having it fitted in early March so hopefully it will work for both of us. Otherwise we start again from scratch.

Yes he is, he will be doing lots of veteran in hand this year and fun rides. He is in great shape at the moment, full of fun. I find it hard to keep my position in the existing saddle, as it is very flat. Probably my crap riding, but when we go out for 1-2 hours would be good to have a bit more support.

Reactions: Huggy
Well we have today a new saddle. Got two to try from Saddles Direct and had the fitter out today to try them on. We now have a Kent and Masters GP which has a deeper seat and blocks, feels totally different. We had an Albion Ultima to try but it felt like I was perched on him, in fact it was worse than my existing albion even though it was more a dressage seat. the new saddle isn't the same quality as the Albion but it fits him well and keeps my leg in position better and feels as if I am sitting down into the horse more. Will hack out on it tomorrow and see how we get on.

Of course it was raining and my left knee has packed up again, excellent to trial saddles. So put on my long riding coat to keep the saddle dry and hacked out for 30 minutes. It felt fine. Keeps me in place a bit easier don't feel I am slipping back. He was moving well in it. It is a 17 1/2 m/w and he was in an 18 wide so it is a better fit for him as it is shorter and he is tall but not that wide.

Did an hour today with the new saddle, up and down small hills, off road, very good. Keeps me in position and he was full of himself. So seems to be fine for both of us.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Got out briefly today with rain sheet on before the sleet came on. Buddy not impressed. Two racehorses were unable to over take us as they were afraid of his pink high viz sheet.....

• Haha
Reactions: Jessey
The Buddyboo is suffering the ordeal of almost daily exercise, plus being pursued by two bambis who jumped the hedge in front of him yesterday and scared the s out of him.....they went skipping down the road ahead of him and he skipped after them doing his version of Spanish Riding School

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: blazer
I think this saddle has made him worse.....today we had cantering on the spot when we met two cobs. we were going downhill at the time.....and another deer which was in fact a greyhound in disguise. He is totally bouncing at the moment. Absolutely full of himself.

newrider.com