A new opportunity - do I go for it????

doolally_tap

Jun 3, 2007
My head is in a whirl today!!!!

For those of you who know me on here, you'll remember I'm having a bit of a tough time with my share horse at the moment - he is very spooky, especially when hacked out alone and has recently done a couple of 'spin and run' spac-attacks on me :eek:

In a nutshell I'm finding him tough-going (but lovely with it) and had already decided to see the winter out with him (don't want to be labelled as a fair-weather sharer) then look for something else if things hadn't improved.

Today I found out some news that has given me a LOT to think about. The RS I have been going to for the last couple of years is selling to new owners who are just going to use the yard and facilities for livery only - all the stock (ie. horses) are up for sale.

The lovely, confidence giving, darling horse (who I still ride when I need to prove to myself that I'm not a completely cr@p rider) is up for sale at a BARGAIN price.

I've spent ages on the phone to both my RI and the current riding school owner about him - and not sure what to do. I would go for it like a shot, but my reservations are as follows:-

* Money and time - it's one thing being a sharer but being an owner will be a whole new ball game in terms of expense, time and responsibility. I would almost certainly have to find a sharer to help out.

* I've only ever ridden him in the indoor school - although I've heard he's lovely on a hack as well. But I'm well aware that a lot of RS horses are completely different when privately owned and getting less exercise and having a less strict routine. However, the owner says I can have him on trial for a few weeks to see how we get on.

* During the time I've known this horse he has had several periods of lameness - most of which have been put down to him being "over-jumped" - he's the best jumper the RS has, so any jumping lessons tend to use him. He also has an occasional but definately re-occuring cough, which is a worry. Obviously if I were to seriously think about buying him I would get him vetted though.

Whaddoya reckon folks - I'm terrified I'll bite off more than I can chew.

Know exactly how you feel. I'm a sharer who'd like to be an owner, but keep getting cold feet cos of the money, time and not wanting to do the horse an injustice.
Re this one you've got your eye on, would recommend getting a vet out to verify whether the lameness is down to over-use or something under-lying. And even if it is over-use, what's the prognosis for him/her (bearing in my mind age and what you hope to do with them). And, hard as it is, decide with your head, not your heart! (Never my strong point). Very good luck with it though.

The money woudl be my first concern. I certainly know that my budget drawn up before I got Tyler has gone out of the window. I didn't share a horse before Tyler, but the responsibilty of horse ownership was tough at first (and Ty was on Full Livery).

Would you be able to try him outdoors and assess how he is for you personally? A sort of trial :)

Would your routine allow for you to have time with him and what kind of livery would he be kept on?

Are there any long term issues with his lameness and do they know what is causing the cough.

Tyler is a ex- RS horse and he has changed quite a bit from when we bought him. as his routine has changed and there is only one person riding him we are both getting used to each other which has lead to a few discoveries lol.

I wish you all the best and I hope you make the right choice for yourself.

Jenny and Tyler
x

Hi, I am part loaning at the moment but next year maybe, my part loan will be up for sale as her owner, my friend Clare, is hoping to emigrate to Oz.

I know that I cannot let Mollie go so will either try to find a sharer or take on a part loan myself.

I wish you luck in your decision.

I bought my first horse from the riding school that I used to work at part time when I was 18. He definately changed when he became privately owned...as he was used to a lot more exercise than I gave him...he also freaked a lot out on hacks on his own due to being used to going out in groups...I certainly had trouble affording him...I had just started working and wasn't earning much and running a car aswell, I also had to borrow the money in the first place to buy him and pay it back! He had home made rugs from sleeping bags and real wool blankets off my mums bed!
He was a beautiful 15.1hh palomino PBA aged 11...I broke my heart having him put down aged 28...and now have a looky likey palomino PBA because I missed him so much.

Everything was really against me buying him....my parents thought horses were for the extreme rich, but my then boyfriend (now hubby) encouraged me...you only live once.....if it doesn't work out its not the end of the world.
I have certainly never looked back...although when I'm out mucking out/riding/grooming/feeding the 3 horses I've got now...my husband probably regrets opening his mouth!

If your really passionate about it...go for it....obvioulsy vet check etc...have you got an experienced unbiased person who knows the horse who could advise specifically about him? good luck..whatever your decission!

You know the horse, you know people who know the horse, you have ridden him, and you are being offered a 'trial period'

What have you got to lose. Hack him out and about, have him vetted towards the end of the trial if you think he is suitable and make a decision then. Definately have him vetted though if he has periods of lameness and a cough. Best of luck.

I agree with Fairlady. If his health is going to be ok, then you know so much about him it is worth the trial. Start looking for a sharer to help out and get your stuff off ebay (cheaper)!

Good luck in whatever you decide.:)

I've been an owner for six years and I'll be perfectly honest - if I'd known then what I know now, I would NEVER have bought my own horse.

In six years I have spent nearly £20,000.00 on keeping him.

I would also be very wary of buying a horse, even at a bargain price, that has had periods of lameness.

My horse has now been diagnosed with arthritis, at the age of 12, as he had been a riding school pony that had been jumped and jumped and jumped at an early age and it has damaged his joints.

I'm sorry to put a dampner on your excitement, but really do think long and hard before you commit to your own. With sharing, you pay a set amount and walk away if you need to. With owning, its a major commitment, in time, money and every other way.

Is he a "bargain" because of these health issues or are the school just wanting quick sales? I would try and book more lessons on this horse and hack out before considering a trial. Had you considered buying your own before you knew the school was closing? It is very easy to get caught up with things when you know a place is closing and you don't want to see a much loved friend gone, but listen to your heart and head to come to the right decision for you. Could the real issue be here that your share horse isn't right for you and rather than see through the winter (which may be the worse time with a spooky horse) start looking for a new more suitable share now?

In six years I have spent nearly £20,000.00 on keeping him.

That's only about £300 a month - I've budget about £600/700 a month if I get a horse.

Go for the trial - what have you got to loose. Just make sure you don't have to buy him unless something specfic happens (eg fails vetting) You want to be able to send him back no Qs asked - If that makes sense:)

Ongoing budget and vetting seems like the main issues from your intial post. If these check out I would go for it.

The owner is willing for you to trial him so you can see how he behaves hacking and with less work. It is difficult to get the right horse and if you want to go down the ownership path this seem to good to pass up providing the budget and vetting is ok :)

Just to update you - my whirlwind brain has now settled and I've pretty much decided not to go for it - I'm following my head, not my heart.

I could just about afford him on DIY livery but would need a share if that was the way I decided to go - I cannot take the risk of having periods of not having a share and then having to pay extra for assisted DIY and getting into a financial pickle. I have overbudgeted but I really think you need to and I'm sure you all agree with that.

I'm sure he'll get a lovely new home and I'll have a couple of lessons on him before he goes :( - but I've got to accept that I'm not in a position at the moment to have the full responsibility of ownership.

As regards my spooky share - I am going to look around for a new one - but I feel I need to prove that I'm not a fair weather sharer to the owner first - she is very well connected (owns the local tack shop, so knows most of the owners in the area!!).

My plan is to keep on with the share until January - during this time I will only ride out in company or in the menage, but will make sure all my chores are done. If things haven't improved by then I will let the owner know I am looking for a new share horse but that I am not going to just desert her, and in the meantime she can look for a new sharer.

How can you tell that yesterday my heart/emotions were in control and today it is my brain that is working!!!!

Good to hear your being level headed about it and thinking it through carefully. Takes alot. I dont know if I could have been as calm and logically about it lol.

Jenny and Tyler
x

TBH, I would've said not to buy this horse. :rolleyes:

I've two ways of thinking when you buy a horse.

There's enough good horses out there, so don't go buying a wrong-un!

and

You can always make more money, but you can't make more time.

If you feel stretched as a sharer, the responsibilities of being a FT owner would ruin any enjoyment having a horse is meant to bring.

Good luck hun, keep us posted xx

Sounds like your gut feeling has kicked in, and I'd always say go with that. If it doesn't feel right, don't go for it. Your horse owning time will come, and you'll know when it will be right.:)

Working Livery an option?

I keep my boy in working livery and it works very well for all parties. He is used to living and working in a school so that shouldn't be a problem. And it takes the weight off your shoulders, especially if you are a new owner. Just make sure you are entirely happy with the yard & school as well as the livery agreement e.g. what he will be used for (if you are concerned about the jumping just say he mustn't be jumped), how many hours a week they expect to use him, weight restrictions, schooling / lessons you will receive in return etc.

Re the vetting... well, when I bought my horse I decided against it - consiously. Too often people turn away a horse that is perfectly good for them and the work they expect it to do simply because it doesn't get full marks in the vetting. And quite often they regret it.

My boy for example is a roarer and also suffers from COPD - which I knew when I bought him. He would have failed any vetting straight away. However, I keep this tightly managed (at very little extra cost) and as a result it does not affect him in his work at all. He happily does his riding school job - come rain or shine - and he also goes on long distance rides, enjoys x-country charity dos and all sorts of other equestrian outings with me. (Although sometimes fellow riders complain that he sounds quite scary when he pulls up from behind to overtake ... a bit like a steam-engine or the 'DARK FORCE' :):):) Admitted, I bought him with my heart more than my head... and I would do it again, any day.

newrider.com