A 'magic' moment...........

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
For me anyway.

I have had terrible trouble getting Sioned to move forward with me on her, she will do it with anyone else on board and me beside her but is most
'unhappy' when I am on her as I seem to have become her security blanket ! ITS BEEN SO FRUSTRATING !

I got her moving forward with long reining and its been a success. Have
been planning to sit on her again then had them freezemarked and her back has been rather tender and quite 'warm'. So last night I got my 'new' mounting block out (step stool from IKEA :bounce:) and practised her standing beside it and moving back and 'walking on' and tbh was soooo
pleased as it all seemed to just 'click'

Did it again tonight just me and her and Bert there and it was just too good an opportunity to miss so hopped on board AND we walked round the paddock several times, standing and walking on etc. YYYYIIIIPPPPEEEEE !!!

she 'WALKED ON' when asked..................

'I THINK SHE HAS 'GOT IT' at last:bounce:

Last edited:
Its rather weird as haven't done nearly as much with her as I was planning this Year, but I honestly think its worked in my favour, she just seems to have 'grown up' so much and really matured since reaching 4, she is
'ready' to start her education now whereas last year she was just
willing, if that makes sense.

Well done!!

I sometimes wonder if I should have done more with Buzz but hey...I'm in no hurry and I suspect you're the same :smile:

Hope you continue to go forward (quite literally) together

Well we did back them both last year, or Leilani, my Grandaughter did as she was first to sit on both Sioned and Bert.

Sioned was more than 'easy' to actually sit on and didn't batt an eyelid, so
was Bert to be fair, but I suspect Bert had been sat on as a 2 year old anyway tbh, although had little else done.

It was just this getting her moving forward with ME on her that has been the problem. I then turned them both away for the Winter and have got them out and about a fair bit this year meeting traffic etc., Sat on her again in March and haven't done much else since until today, so really pleased and we can start doing a little more now in a few weeks, want to wait tbh before putting saddle back on for the Freezemark to really heal up as don't want
her to have any tenderness and maybe associate that then with a saddle.

Just climbed on her tonight bareback with a headcollar on. Leilani sat on Bert again for the 1st time this year a couple of weeks ago and he was brilliant, just carried on munching his hay, lol.

Well done!!

I sometimes wonder if I should have done more with Buzz but hey...I'm in no hurry and I suspect you're the same :smile:

Hope you continue to go forward (quite literally) together

Thats exactly how I felt tbh, I don't have loads and loads of time anyway but appreciate I have been very 'lucky' in how accepting of new things both of mine seem to be so feel no need to repeat it all on a daily basis as I am a firm believer they don't really 'forget', although both quite 'selective' about how quickly sometimes they choose too remember, lol. Neither of mine are going anywhere so there is no huge rush, although I would like to say we have been out for a hack this side of Christmas:biggrin:

Brilliant news, Kay.... :dance:

(I shall be coming to you for tips when I start Arthur next year......)

Brilliant news, Kay.... :dance:

(I shall be coming to you for tips when I start Arthur next year......)

I am sure you will do a wonderful job Jane.............x

I have to say I have had moments of 'guilt' where I have felt I should be doing a lot more than I have been doing and some people have 'questioned' why I am not doing A, B or C on a daily or weekly basis lol..............

TRUTH, I am 'lazy' and have been so laid back about it all I have been
almost horizontal, lol, but think the fact I have been like that has made
the Horses view it all in the same light and they haven't really been worried
about any of it............

Lets hope it stays that way :bounce: I have absolutely NO DOUBT that
if Sioned has a problem with anything she WILL let me know in no
uncertain terms:bounce:

The one major problem I had with Sioned was the lunging, she HATES it with a vengeance, there are those that
said its a 'battle of will' etc., but I stopped it and moved onto the long reining, which she was quite happy about and I could see absolutely no gain in getting into a battle with a 3 year old to prove a point when she had been so accepting of everything else, just because a few people felt thats what I should be doing.

We will come back to the lunging soon and I expect it to be a different story tbh and will handle it a little differently this time, still not
getting into a battle, but not expecting to 'fail' either, she will be fine:wink:

Last edited:
That is great Fairlady - sounds like things are coming together. I love reading these threads about people's youngsters because it fascinates me learning and reading about how people bring on such horses and ponies. I wouldn't know where to start and I admire anybody who has the know-how to do such things.

That is great Fairlady - sounds like things are coming together. I love reading these threads about people's youngsters because it fascinates me learning and reading about how people bring on such horses and ponies. I wouldn't know where to start and I admire anybody who has the know-how to do such things.

lol, well I will let you know IF I had the know-how down the line when
we are out and about lol cos til then its all on a wing and a prayer, which
is rather rich coming from an Athiest:smoke:

newrider.com