A little market research

Zingy

Nov 18, 2001
Visit site
As a few of you know, I've recently qualified as a bowen therapist and I'm wanting to set up primarily working on horse riders (will be doing horses eventually, but not for another 12 months or so, so this is focussing on people not horses).

So, questions for you all really. Answers and any other comments much appreciated!

1. Do you suffer from aches and pains or any other physical problem that affect your riding? (don't need to give details if you don't want!)

2. If yes, are they caused by riding, made worse by it or it's a day to day problem that's unaffected by riding?

3. Is your riding affected by your posture, even if there's no pain related to it? So, for example, do you struggle to keep heels down or are you very one sided?

4. Have you ever had any treatment on yourself to try to address any problems? If so, what did you try and did it work?

5. Would you ever consider getting any treatment, or do you just accept that any problems are part of riding that only riding lessons will overcome (or not)?

6. If yes to Q5, how would you go about finding someone or choosing a therapy? How soon would you want to see results from doing it?

7. How often do you ride?

8. Do you own/ loan/ share a horse or ride other people's/ at a riding school?

1. Do you suffer from aches and pains or any other physical problem that affect your riding? (don't need to give details if you don't want!)

Yes - the ligament to the front of my left shoulder (above the collarbone) is too stretchy and is easily overworked causing pain in the shoulder and compensation pain in my lower back.

2. If yes, are they caused by riding, made worse by it or it's a day to day problem that's unaffected by riding?

Initially caused by riding (had a fall, held onto the reins and the horse stood on my shoulder). When I'm careful to not overwork it, it doesn't affect my riding but if I'm on a horse that really pulls then it gets very painful very quickly.

3. Is your riding affected by your posture, even if there's no pain related to it? So, for example, do you struggle to keep heels down or are you very one sided?

Yep! Due to the shoulder I have a tendency to defensively scrunch up the left side of my body meaning my right leg tends to creep up to feel balanced.

4. Have you ever had any treatment on yourself to try to address any problems? If so, what did you try and did it work?

Tried loads. Chiro was rubbish. Bowen works brilliantly but only for short periods. The best thing so far is a sports physiotherapist who treated me months ago with ultrasound therapy and strengthening exercises and since then I've had little more than the odd twinge which has been sorted with Nurofen.

5. Would you ever consider getting any treatment, or do you just accept that any problems are part of riding that only riding lessons will overcome (or not)?

If I get a pain that won't go away after a few Nurofen, I'll be straight back to the sports physio for another round of ultrasound therapy.

6. If yes to Q5, how would you go about finding someone or choosing a therapy? How soon would you want to see results from doing it?

I chose my sports therapist based on a personal recommendation from a friend. I felt the benefit immediately and within a week (2 sessions) was completely pain free.

About 4-5 times a week.

I have a part loan horse.

Bad hip caused by a fall years ago. Not helped by treeless saddle, so much so I ended up having to go back to treed (once I found one to fit - it only took 3 years:rolleyes:)

Originally caused by a riding accident and not helped nowadays by riding. Problem eases off dramatically if I dont ride for a few months:(

I struggle to move my left leg independently. It only moves if my whole body twists now. I block Arnies movement badly now - particularly in canter - and find both of us are now very stiff on the left rein which I'm sure has been caused by me.

Have had hip xrayed. There is no structural damage its a muscular thing. I do take painkillers and if I remember to take them before I ride it does help. I've had various different massage type things. Nothing solves it completely:(. I wear magnetic bracelets that definately help.

I would love to find a treatment that would help this - it seriously affects my riding ability

I would hope for at least some visible difference within a couple of sessions. Sadly I couldnt afford to pay out say £30/£40 a week for any length of time (which seems to be the case with most of the osteos etc round here).

5 or 6 times a week for about an hour a time - mostly light hacking with some slightly more adventurous stuff once or twice

Own

Thanks - is much appreciated :) Anyone else? The more answers I get, the better, even if it's just a straight no. It's all useful information for me :)

1. Do you suffer from aches and pains or any other physical problem that affect your riding? (don't need to give details if you don't want
Yes, have had problems with back for over a year. No accident or sudden change - diagnosed as twisted and tilted pelvis causing problems to all my back- from riding.

2. If yes, are they caused by riding, made worse by it or it's a day to day problem that's unaffected by riding) Was causing problems, riding (mainly hill work which I can't avoid) was locking my upper and middle back. Hips were painful.

I was becoming very one sided and was struggling on the right rein. Was finding it difficult to stay upright too.

Yes, Had physio- no help as was skeletal not muscular.
Chiropractor- helped unlock my back but never really helped with the pain or posture. Infact made it worse for a while.
Amatsu- Wow, really really helped after one session. Took me a while to get used to being straight, really made me realise how twisted I have been. Feel much better all round, especially riding. Had little pain at all. Onto 3rd session tomorrow and he says I probably need another 3 then no more.
Also bookedin for reflexology (friend giving me a free session as she spoke to the amatsu guy and aparantly I'm very "open" to these kinds of things so she wants a go. :cold:)

I would always consider treatment earlier on in future, my twist wouldn't have been so bad if I had addressed it a year ago.

I would go on recommendation from friends. I had 2 separate people suggest Amatsu to me. I really can't believe the difference and have since told quite a few people to try it. I would want to see results after a month I think, then I would change to a different therapy. The chiropractor told me I would need to keep going back for months, but I just wasn't seeing a benefit, infact I was just feeling bruised everytime I went.

Depends, sometimes 4 days a week, sometimes 2 :stomp: (like this week with awful weather) Also drive which tbh, was causing me more back pain than the riding.

Own

Yes, after riding for a while my hip really hurts.

Caused by being in the saddle for a while.

I struggle to stop leaning forwards.

no

I think its just fitness. I need to improve my core stability and to become a bit more flexible.

Don't know, I don't think anyone could really help! It's all me. Not sure about the hip thing either, I think that was just because I had a round horse.

Not very often atm but will get back into it now my mare is nearly backed.

Own horse.

Compared to others no not really, but I did badly sprain my ankle about four years ago and it sometimes haunts me on damp days
Not caused by riding but I really notice it if I've ridden for more than half an hour keeping my heels down - will probably get better the more I ride I guess
Yes definitely (no pain)- I'm terrible on my left rein, I drop my shoulder and this badly affects my horse
No, didn't know it could do anything - I am very aware now of how I sit at work, not slouching to one side all the time, how I cross my legs and if I'm standing, not to put all the weight on the same leg all the time.
I'm having riding lessons, didn't know it was something that could be investigated through other treatments tbh, now I am interested!
Probably use NR to post my issues and see what people suggest then use personal recommendations from people in my area - speak to horsey people near me
3-4 times a week for half an hr each time but will be upping this next year
Have my own and ride at RS as well.

1. Do you suffer from aches and pains or any other physical problem that affect your riding? Pain in my lower back after about an hour in the saddle.

2. If yes, are they caused by riding, made worse by it or it's a day to day problem that's unaffected by riding? I generally have it now and then if I've been doing a lot of activity but it definitely worsens while riding for prolonged periods of time.

3. Is your riding affected by your posture, even if there's no pain related to it? So, for example, do you struggle to keep heels down or are you very one sided? I'm very inflexible in my ankles and I'm very right sided.

4. Have you ever had any treatment on yourself to try to address any problems? If so, what did you try and did it work? No I've never had treatment.

5. Would you ever consider getting any treatment, or do you just accept that any problems are part of riding that only riding lessons will overcome (or not)? I would definitely consider it.

6. If yes to Q5, how would you go about finding someone or choosing a therapy? How soon would you want to see results from doing it? I'd probably do a bit of research on different therapies and ask around for opinions. I wouldn't expect instant results but a gradual improvement.

7. How often do you ride? Twice a week.

8. Do you own/ loan/ share a horse or ride other people's/ at a riding school? Ride at a riding school ATM.

Knee pain which turned out to be caused by my flat feet. Much better now feet are being sorted out but flares up occasionally. When my knees hurt it makes mounting and rising trot very painful.

Trotting for any length of time seems to worsen the pain.

Have tendancy to sit to the left and collapse hip

Physio on my knees and now wear special insoles to raise the arches in m y feet

Don't feel treatment is needed as the insoles and stretches prescribed seem to be working.

Every day when time/ weather permits, much less (2x per week) in the winter.

Own my own horse

Hope this is of some help! :)

Another question to throw in - for those people who would consider getting treatment, would you be more likely to go to someone who worked specifically with horse riders and understood the problems, or would it make no difference to you?

It would make a major difference to me if someone was a rider - they would know the things I would be talking about - and more importantly, they would understand why we keep on doing it. My doctor just said perhaps I should stop riding???:rolleyes:

Do you suffer from aches and pains or any other physical problem that affect your riding? (don't need to give details if you don't want!)
I am generally a bit stiff in back/neck/knees

Riding makes my knees a bit worse and I dread dismounting and hitting the ground as it hurts

Struggle to keep heels down and use endurance cushioned stirrups to try to give a bit more bounce to stop knees hurting. Can get a bit of cramp when riding.

not really

Yes would consider threatment to get me feeling a bit more mobile.

Donn't know really

I don't ride at the moment as horse is sick but would still like to

Own horses but nothing to ride at the moment.

Hi Zingy. good to hear your a bowen therapist..good luck with the horse one when you get around to it, you will love it..can i recommend a friend who runs an equine bowen training school near glastonbury, Lotty Merry, a lovely person and a very experienced horsewoman www.rosefarmequine.co.uk i certainly don't think you could do better.
in my experience most people that have horses and ride will have a problem somewhere:biggrin:
as an human/equine bowen therapist i do try and treat as many riders as i can in order to get everything in balance holistically.:biggrin:

Yes Back pain which comes and goes. normally lasts for a week or two although sometimes more.

Riding doesnt cause it although when i have it I cant ride and any lifting/carrying/ moving in some positions is very painful but un avoidable as I have no help with my horses and obviously this doenst aid the healing process.

Yes, although i cant give specifics, my horses have been off work for various reasons so havent ridden for 6 months.

I have had reiki which helped with emotional things but not physical problems, I had a course of 4 sessions. I know its not exactly a treatment but I have tried yoga but havent managed to stick at it for long enough yet.

So far I just get on with it but would LOVE to have treatment as it severely affects what I am able to do. at the moment do not have enough money to pay for treatment for myself as well as horsie treatments. and they come first although I know I need to sort my back out aswel at some point.

I have lots of friends who have recommended holistic treatments to me but I have never followed anything up yet. I understand that treatments take time and that a quick fix is usually not a fix at all.

At the moment not at all but when i bring my lot back into work it will be every day or every other day.

I have my own.

Yes i have anthralgia (constant joint pain) and a weak back due to the disks being too narrow.

Riding makes my back worse, i can't sit upright for too long and tend to slump down after a while.

I tend to slump in the saddle and to one side

I have had physio but there is no cure for my condition, physio didn't work for me.

I would love to find a treatment that works, my riding does not cause it.

Never really thought about it but if i did find a therapy that i thought would work i would expect to see results in about a month.

7. How often do you ride? From Oct will probs be riding about once a week for 30 mins. Next year it will go up to approx 2 - 3 times a week.

I will be riding my daughters loan pony, taking some refresher lessons at local riding school and riding my own horses next year.

As a few of you know, I've recently qualified as a bowen therapist and I'm wanting to set up primarily working on horse riders (will be doing horses eventually, but not for another 12 months or so, so this is focussing on people not horses).

So, questions for you all really. Answers and any other comments much appreciated!

Not really - tho I have an on-going cartilidge problem in my knee which I saw a specialist for as a child. Running makes it worse, thankfully riding does not!

3. Is your riding affected by your posture, even if there's no pain related to it? So, for example, do you struggle to keep heels down or are you very one sided?No, so far as I know the only thing I have a tendency to do is curl up slightly if I am not sure about cantering, but otherwise I don't knowingly end up in a bad position

No
I think if I had a problem that was made worse by riding then I'd consider getting treatment, but its a minefield out there and I wouldn't know where to start!
I honestly don't know! Perhaps recommendation from my gp?
Every day weather permitting, for about half to three quarters of a hour
Own

Hope this helps - I have a current "ache" which has developed in one leg, but I have a feeling that isn't the riding but the hill walking (I posted a thread about it a bit back). I thought it was riding that was taking its toll, but it isn't as I've eased off and its still there.

Thanks all, sounds like it's definitely worth pushing the horse rider specialisation in that case! I thought it might be, and I'd rather do that than more general stuff, but wanted to know for definite. I was particularly curious about non-owners as they're the people who I won't really get any closer to once I'm doing horses as well. I figure a lot of owners will do something about their horse before themselves and they'll often only take their own problems seriously when they affect their horses. Totally different kettle of fish when someone is riding different horses every week at a riding school - you're reliant on them wanting to improve or change themselves, or even to realise that they can.

Poohsmate, thanks - I'm already signed up to Lotty's next course on the basis of your recommendation a while back! It was originally supposed to start in June but got put off til October. Not heard anything about dates yet, so need to phone her and find out when it's actually happening, but it should be fairly soon.

bad back, sacro-illiac problem, sciatica (caused by a non riding accident)

mine comes and goes, at the moment it's okay, when it's my back that's 'at' me I don't ride, if it's my scaro-illiac I do ride [only walking] cos it helps shift the bones back into place! I don't like to ride when I have sciatica as my left leg goes numb

I think it is, sometimes my balance isn't great - I've made an effort to make sure my stirrups are level, but I find it hard to put equal weight on each leg

No, I can't afford to go private and my GP has never referred me to anyone

I would be delighted if my GP would refer me to a specialist!

I'd see what the doc recommended, I don't know anyone else who has a bad back, so I can't ask anyone for advice!
I'd like to see results from the first session, I wouldn't expect to be 'cured' immediately, but I would hope that I'd get some benefit from it

At the moment due to personal problems I'm only getting to ride once a week, otherwise I'd ride up to 5 days a week

I have my own horse

I can just say as well, having 'helped' Zingy with being a case study, that it really did work on me as a rider. At the time, I was riding twice a week on my loan horse and finding that I was hollowing my back as I rode, and generally was quite unbalanced.

I found after a few sessions that 'old' injuries that I thought had healed (like my sprained ankles from years ago) were still actually quite weak and that a couple of Bowen sessions sorted my legs and ankles out a lot! My back felt better and I definitely thought my riding position improved. And I consider myself generally 'young, fit and healthy' but it's weird how many old injuries come to light.

Not riding at the moment, so can't answer the survey 'properly' but a big recommendation from me :)

newrider.com