a little bit of a silly question

K&K

Sugar High
Nov 29, 2001
BC, Canada
www.kaiti.com
:rolleyes:
excuse my stupidity if the answer to this is extremely obvious!

the boots i use for riding are english lace-up jodhpur boots. can i ride in my western saddle with those too? is the heel too slight to keep it from sliding through the heavier western stirrup? or does it just depend on the stirrup itself?

I would think it would be fine. I use a regular pear of boots with a very slight heal, and they work fine with the western saddle. Some stirrups are thicker then others, but your shoes should do fine with most of them. :)

And, no, thats not a stupid question. :)

I agree - shouldn't be a problem. I've been taking lessons at two different barns. At one barn, I ride western and at the other, english. I use the same pair of boots for both - Ariat short english boots with probably less than 1/2 inch heel.

I don't think it would be as easy to wear western boots for english, though. :)

Last edited:
Actually it's pretty interchangable! :D I wear my black paddock boots for Western or English. Same for my short cowboy style boots. Either saddle, whatever I feel like putting on in the morning. :D

boots

hello!

well i guess that it all depends on the rider. i have only wore boots with a heel about 5 times while riding. the rest of the time i have wore sneakers. if your feet slip through the stirrups then i guess you legs arent that great. and i also find wearing sneakers while riding makes it easier for my heels to stay down. but i am wearing my boots almost everyday now because i am starting to wear "cowboy" gear. lol. bye! ;)

Anyone's feet can slip through the stirrups at any time. It happens to all of us, especially if you fall, the chance is greater. Sneakers are about as dangerous to ride in as you can get. Even if just the ball of your foot is in the stirrup the tread can catch cauing you to become entangled.

I was astounded last night to walk into my riding school and see a woman, obviously a beginner, riding around in sneakers with no helmet! (Well, lots of them don't wear helmets - kids are required to but adults get to decide). I understand she may not want to invest in riding boots right away, but I'd think she'd have a pair of hard shoes with a heel somewhere in her closet! I'm surprised the school allowed this!

I've had the same English boots since I started riding!! And as you probably know, Im in my "Western Phase" right now so I do more Western than English riding but I still use my tall English boots for both so I don't think you shoud have a problem unless you plan to do some "high-class" showing but as for just general pleasure riding you should be okay! :D

Well i would think sneakers would be safer in way because they wouldnt get caught in the stirrup as easy because they arent as wide...i ahve bever fallen of wearing sneakers.... all the time i fell off while riding (in a saddle) i was wearing boots. and when u ride bareback it doesnt matter...so when i fell off bareback i was wearing sneakers. bye!

newrider.com