A ginger herd update

I've finally got some recent photos of my lil herd in the sunshine so I thought I would do a little spring update.

Jasper is coming through a midlife crisis at the moment lol. He is refusing to believe he is 16 and will be a veteran next year. By spooking at everything, generally pushing the boundaries and bouncing along like a donut lol. But it's nice he is feeling well and it's nice he is feeling limber enough to bounce along like a 4 yr old lol.

He's also kept his weight this winter, I'm really pleased with how well he has come out of the winter this year, although a couple of weeks ago he was still like a baby elephant to look at and I wondered if he was going to drop any weight before spring hits. Thankfully he has dropped a little now so hopefully won't be the size of a whale all summer.

He's starting to settle into his work nicely again too, even behaving and working properly for Hutch and Bibby too :)
image_zps5772ce09.jpg

image_zps7d19b4d6.jpg

image_zps22b5886e.jpg

image_zps614ee575.jpg

Tegan, well after her troubles which started before Christmas, I had everything checked over and she had sharp teeth, her saddle wasn't causing a problem but wasn't a great fit either, and she was tight just about all over her body lol.

So brought her back into work slowly as per the physio's instructions. And there was a big improvement straight away, she settled in walk and trot brilliantly and I was chuffed to pieces. Her canter lead improved but it was obvious that was going to take a bit more time. And this week, it's clicked, she's striking off correctly every time, I've built it up slowly and not pressured for it, and it's worked. I'm still only cantering once on each rein for now, keeping it slowly and just hacking as much as possible so it's not so much pressure on her turns etc.

She's had a little pop over a jump too this week, just in trot once or twice each way and she remembered what she learnt last summer, so I'm very pleased with that.

All in all, little Tegan is doing me proud at the moment :)

image_zps24b6afee.jpg

image_zps95179fe2.jpg

image_zpsd8ef0a36.jpg

image_zpsc7acff7a.jpg

And last but definitely not least, Jim!! Who is officially back in work and rather enjoying it I think. I've ridden him a few times and started lightly lunging and long reining. He's been for a walk down the road today and been a super star, it's as though he hasn't had any time off at all. That pony has an old head on young shoulders! Think him and jasper have swapped brains!

image_zps3f67a2a9.jpg

image_zps4c088b99.jpg

image_zps76aa03b8.jpg

image_zps6130395c.jpg

image_zps4adf17d0.jpg

So that's my lot, thankyou for looking!! Sorry it was so long in the end lol!!

What a nice post and lovely pics - I do like a ginger pone!

Interesting what you said about Jim and Jasper swapping brains - that happened to us too! My young Arab and OH's older schoolmaster had a brain swap last year - my Arab is now by far the less spooky and braver of the two.

newrider.com