A few questions about livery yards

Hey all :) I have a few questions about your liveries, some of them might seem silly so bear with me!

*If on DIY livery, can you expect the yard to check on the horses stabled/grazing regularly to make sure all is well while your not there?

*My loan horses owner is away for a week (hes outdoors full time, DIY, just on grass) and said when she goes away its his holiday too and that the yard will check on him to make sure hes well, therefor she doesnt need me to take over for the full week, is this the case with other DIY liveries?

*I once spent a few days volunteering at a livery and one morning was asked to turn a horse out, it was heaving with rain and he hated coming out of his warm, dry stable into the muddy field then just stood there looking miserable, if it had been my own horse i would have left him in were he was happy and comfortable but i was told i had to turn him out regardless because it was his and his owners routine, is it possible to make personal arrangements with part/full livery such as "turn my horse out every morning but if the weathers terrible leave him in"?

*If on DIY livery, whos job is it to remove droppings from the field, horse owners in turns or does the yard just do it?

*If on full livery can you make up a care plan that is personal to you so that your horse will be cared for in exactly the way you want or do most yards do things in their own way?

*If on full, can you still come and go as you please to take over any work whenever you want?

*If on DIY do most liveries still supply your hay/straw (at extra cost?) or do you have to get your own from somewhere?

*Do all of the horses on a yard have to stick to the same worming plan?

*How much does your livery cost DIY/PART/FULL?

Im sure i'll have more questions later and thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer some of my questions as i know its a lot! ;)

jem
xxx

We're on DIY, and it's exactly that - do it yourself! The YO doesn't check on the horses at all, we're just paying rent for stable and grazing, not for services. Ours are out 24/7 at the moment, but if we go away we have to ask other liveries to check on them.

You might find at some yards the YO will do it for a fee, but ours doesn't offer any services - you would need to check as all yards are different :)

Poo picking, ragworting etc - the liveries do it.

Yes we have a yard worming plan.

We have to buy in our own straw/hay.

DIY costs £27 per week.

Think that's all your questions about DIY covered - can't answer about part/full livery yard is just DIY and that's all I've ever been on! :)

I too am on DIY, I have a horse and pony in their own paddock.
Poo-picking, ragworting is down to me.
I buy in my own straw and hay altho she does supply haylage on site if you want it.
The YO doesnt do anything with my horses, if i go away i get someone in to look after them.
She will fix fencing, empty muck heap, and maintain the yard but doesnt get involved in the 'care' of any of the liveries.
I pay £20 a week

i've got Finn on assisted livery and they do all the morning things such as rug change, feed and let out. they decide what rugs go on if any as it's a whole different weather where he is! :rolleyes: they have a worming program and as for poo picking the fields are harrowed and rolled and a few times a year they put the cows on the land. the fields are left to rest and so on so it's a good thing. the YO always keeps a look out for the horses and she also does a late night check on them too so any problems and she will phone.

i have the foals on DIY but the YO will check on them or if i can't get down until later to see to them and they are in the stable then she will either put some hay and water in for them or she will let them out. if i go away i don't have to worry about them as she will do all the checks and make sure they are happy and not injured.

*If on DIY livery, can you expect the yard to check on the horses stabled/grazing regularly to make sure all is well while your not there? YES

*My loan horses owner is away for a week (hes outdoors full time, DIY, just on grass) and said when she goes away its his holiday too and that the yard will check on him to make sure hes well, therefor she doesnt need me to take over for the full week, is this the case with other DIY liveries?

*I once spent a few days volunteering at a livery and one morning was asked to turn a horse out, it was heaving with rain and he hated coming out of his warm, dry stable into the muddy field then just stood there looking miserable, if it had been my own horse i would have left him in were he was happy and comfortable but i was told i had to turn him out regardless because it was his and his owners routine, is it possible to make personal arrangements with part/full livery such as "turn my horse out every morning but if the weathers terrible leave him in"? YES

*If on DIY livery, whos job is it to remove droppings from the field, horse owners in turns or does the yard just do it? YO's

*If on full livery can you make up a care plan that is personal to you so that your horse will be cared for in exactly the way you want or do most yards do things in their own way? Abit of both

*If on full, can you still come and go as you please to take over any work whenever you want? N/A

*If on DIY do most liveries still supply your hay/straw (at extra cost?) or do you have to get your own from somewhere? Cannot get it from elsewhere

*Do all of the horses on a yard have to stick to the same worming plan? Yes

*How much does your livery cost DIY/PART/FULL? DIY £20

My pony is living out 24/7 on DIY in a herd of 8. Our YO does go down to check everyone is ok but it is not guaranteed she will go down every day unless there is a problem or you have specificially asked her to check them. Though in the winter during the deep freeze when the automatic water frooze she went down three times a day to take fresh water and also if they need hayledge in the winter she puts that out too.

The liveries tend to look out for the other horses when they go down so if someone is on holiday either they ask YO to do more checking and pay a bit extra or someone else will just keep an eye open. All ponies in the herd are good doers so don't need any feed during the summer when the grass is good so it is fairly easy.

We rotate fields so don't need to poo pick and ragworting is shared between YO and liveries.

The horses that come in at night are in a different part of the yard with fields near the stables and YO lives on site and will do assisted livery though you have to book in advance for things to be done but yes if you don't want your horse turned out if it is raining then you could state that, though most people do want their horses turned out as much as possible.

We have 2 stables (1 is split for 2 small ponies ) on DIY, small paddock with Field shelter for small ponies - total cost = £23 per week
We rent a field seperate which is £48 a month, all 3 can use.

YO disposes of muck heap for stables and is responsible for any maintenance etc, other than that down to us, although I do know they keep an eye on them if they are around.

We are responsible for everything else, if away then arrange our own cover, but my daughter and I generally share it.

*If on DIY livery, can you expect the yard to check on the horses stabled/grazing regularly to make sure all is well while your not there? NO

*My loan horses owner is away for a week (hes outdoors full time, DIY, just on grass) and said when she goes away its his holiday too and that the yard will check on him to make sure hes well, therefor she doesnt need me to take over for the full week, is this the case with other DIY liveries? NO

*I once spent a few days volunteering at a livery and one morning was asked to turn a horse out, it was heaving with rain and he hated coming out of his warm, dry stable into the muddy field then just stood there looking miserable, if it had been my own horse i would have left him in were he was happy and comfortable but i was told i had to turn him out regardless because it was his and his owners routine, is it possible to make personal arrangements with part/full livery such as "turn my horse out every morning but if the weathers terrible leave him in"? Depends on the horse - mine always wants to be out, if you kepe them in you HAVE to exercise them

*If on DIY livery, whos job is it to remove droppings from the field, horse owners in turns or does the yard just do it? Owners! yards sometimes do it for a fee (my old one did if you wanted)

*If on full livery can you make up a care plan that is personal to you so that your horse will be cared for in exactly the way you want or do most yards do things in their own way? Depends on the yard - most aren't that flexible tbh

*If on full, can you still come and go as you please to take over any work whenever you want? Depends on yard, some of them are ok with that - others don't like you to interfere as they work to a timetable

*If on DIY do most liveries still supply your hay/straw (at extra cost?) or do you have to get your own from somewhere? Most yards I know do supply it, but you can buy your own if you prefer

*Do all of the horses on a yard have to stick to the same worming plan? Both yards I have been on do - but not all

*How much does your livery cost DIY/PART/FULL? New yard £16 DIY per week (old yard was £26 DIY per week - more facilities but also more rules)

*If on DIY livery, can you expect the yard to check on the horses stabled/grazing regularly to make sure all is well while your not there? NO. Many do, but don't make the assumption.

*My loan horses owner is away for a week (hes outdoors full time, DIY, just on grass) and said when she goes away its his holiday too and that the yard will check on him to make sure hes well, therefor she doesnt need me to take over for the full week, is this the case with other DIY liveries? NO.

*I once spent a few days volunteering at a livery and one morning was asked to turn a horse out, it was heaving with rain and he hated coming out of his warm, dry stable into the muddy field then just stood there looking miserable, if it had been my own horse i would have left him in were he was happy and comfortable but i was told i had to turn him out regardless because it was his and his owners routine, is it possible to make personal arrangements with part/full livery such as "turn my horse out every morning but if the weathers terrible leave him in"? Yes. On my yard, turnout is at YO's discretion, but it is tailored to the individual horses. Daffy for example, goes out regardless because he gets too stiff just stood in. Not all yards are so accomodating, and the horses preference/needs should be taken into account.

*If on DIY livery, whos job is it to remove droppings from the field, horse owners in turns or does the yard just do it? Owners, although many yards don't have a poo-picking policy. I've never yet been on a yard where droppings were picked up. Current yard uses the farm machinery to tend for the paddocks so it isn't necessary.

*If on full livery can you make up a care plan that is personal to you so that your horse will be cared for in exactly the way you want or do most yards do things in their own way? On some yards yes, but not all. I have that luxury on the yard I'm at, but there are many with absolutely no flexibility. I've been on DIY yards which are far less accomodating.

*If on full, can you still come and go as you please to take over any work whenever you want? I used to have to race YO to the field to catch my horse in, even if YO was busy he'd rush. He feels like because I'm paying for it, he has to provide it, but I have no problem with fetching my own horse in. I'm sure he'd let me muck out if I asked, but I don't see the need. He's flexible with times, although he does ask that we be gone by 9pm or let him know if we'll be super early/late so he can settle the horses and feed them for the night.

*If on DIY do most liveries still supply your hay/straw (at extra cost?) or do you have to get your own from somewhere? I always had to buy in.

*Do all of the horses on a yard have to stick to the same worming plan? Not on the DIY yards I was on. Provided I did regular worm counts to prove Daffy didn't need worming, that was ok. On the current yard, YO is responsible for the worming and it is mandatory.

*How much does your livery cost DIY/PART/FULL? Full livery (including feed, bedding and forage, everything except grooming and riding) is £65 per week.

*If on DIY livery, can you expect the yard to check on the horses stabled/grazing regularly to make sure all is well while your not there?

No!

No!! If I was a YO and a DIY'er went on holiday, I would expect them to make arrangements accordingly, not assume that I'd check on it all the time!

*I once spent a few days volunteering at a livery and one morning was asked to turn a horse out, it was heaving with rain and he hated coming out of his warm, dry stable into the muddy field then just stood there looking miserable, if it had been my own horse i would have left him in were he was happy and comfortable but i was told i had to turn him out regardless because it was his and his owners routine, is it possible to make personal arrangements with part/full livery such as "turn my horse out every morning but if the weathers terrible leave him in"?

Yes, but it does depend on the horse and what is defined as poor weather... I won't turn out in snow, but will turn out all other times, other liveries don't turn out if there is the slightest hint of moisture in the air :eek: My horse might not like going out in the crap weather, but because of limbs etc. needs to stretch out if only for 30 mins while mucking out...

*If on DIY livery, whos job is it to remove droppings from the field, horse owners in turns or does the yard just do it?

Horse owner, unless stipulated by YO that it is done as part of the package.

*If on full livery can you make up a care plan that is personal to you so that your horse will be cared for in exactly the way you want or do most yards do things in their own way?

Normally yes, but some yards are more amenable to this than others. It is normally a case of you get what you pay for.
*If on full, can you still come and go as you please to take over any work whenever you want?

Yes, but having been a groom and YM before it is nice to know what has been done so that it doesn't get done again (like feeding!!)

*If on DIY do most liveries still supply your hay/straw (at extra cost?) or do you have to get your own from somewhere?

Again, depends on the yard. Ours produces it's own straw, and supplies local hay as well as shavings. If you want another bedding then you normally get it yourself, but the YO has been known to negociate a deal with a supplier if enough people on the yard use a product.

No, but we are DIY. I have had to stick with a plan when on part/full livery though.

I pay £22/week for 12x12 stable, pretty much un-limited turnout (bar winter) in own 3/4 acre paddock, indoor school and completely off-road hacking...

Hey all :) I have a few questions about your liveries, some of them might seem silly so bear with me!

*If on DIY livery, can you expect the yard to check on the horses stabled/grazing regularly to make sure all is well while your not there?yes, i think most horses are checked over, i wouldnt have mine on a yard where they werent.

*My loan horses owner is away for a week (hes outdoors full time, DIY, just on grass) and said when she goes away its his holiday too and that the yard will check on him to make sure hes well, therefor she doesnt need me to take over for the full week, is this the case with other DIY liveries? yes, aslong as they dont need feeding. but i like someone to go up and double check, fuss them and pick out feet

*I once spent a few days volunteering at a livery and one morning was asked to turn a horse out, it was heaving with rain and he hated coming out of his warm, dry stable into the muddy field then just stood there looking miserable, if it had been my own horse i would have left him in were he was happy and comfortable but i was told i had to turn him out regardless because it was his and his owners routine, is it possible to make personal arrangements with part/full livery such as "turn my horse out every morning but if the weathers terrible leave him in"? i think most yards like to stick to there routine. but a yard near me is mega expensive and they will do what you want. so i think it depends where you go

*If on DIY livery, whos job is it to remove droppings from the field, horse owners in turns or does the yard just do it?i was on a yard where no one did it, so i ended up doing the field of 8 :rolleyes:

*If on full livery can you make up a care plan that is personal to you so that your horse will be cared for in exactly the way you want or do most yards do things in their own way? as before, some like to stick to their routine, some will do different things for you but come at a price :eek:

*If on full, can you still come and go as you please to take over any work whenever you want? yes

*If on DIY do most liveries still supply your hay/straw (at extra cost?) or do you have to get your own from somewhere? ive been on 2 DIY yards and had to get it myself from somewhere

*Do all of the horses on a yard have to stick to the same worming plan? at one they did, one they didnt

*How much does your livery cost DIY/PART/FULL? my grass livery was £50 a week. my DIY was £35 a week and the ful yard i loaned on was £90 a week

Im sure i'll have more questions later and thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer some of my questions as i know its a lot! ;)

jem
xxx

its best to give yards a ring and ask them :)

No - not unless you asked for this prior

No, not unless you specifically ask for it and then you will have to pay for it and take note my DIY yard is assisted so would do this if I asked, but some arn't

Keep in mind, horse live outdoors. This is what nature intended - horses being in a stable 'all warm and cosy'' is what you would not not a horse. Horses are much happier outside with other horses being horses not stood all day in a stable. It's unnatural and not good for them mentally or physically

Again this is your job - DIY means you do everything

Yes you can

Yes of course, but watch out as some do have opening hours!!

Depends whether they make it themselves or whether they buy it in bulk

Depends on the yard, they don't at mine but do at my friends for example

Mine cost £35 a week and that includes stable/field/facilities. Everything else like hay/shavings/food I buy myself

jem
xxx

Hope this is of some help

I used to keep Daisy in full livery and we were allowed to do any part of the stable management job if we wanted. The horses wer groomed everyday by the groom, but my one friend would do all her own grooming to develop a stronger bond with her horse. And one day, the groom was off sick, so myself and 2 friends helped feed ad groom the horses in the evening.

Not at my yard, but other liveries (generally) have common sense and we let each other know when something is wrong etc

Again, not at my yard. But nothing is out 24/7 so require more looking after than just a check over

I would expect this of a good full livery yard, if I was paying someone to turn out I would expect them to show some common sense or agree certain things in advance

YO harrows and generally maintains fields, liveries keep an eye on ragwort and normally a group of us will attack it over the weekends

Within reason I'd expect, but depends on the yard and the relationship between staff and owner

Some expect owners to inform them when they're planning on being there but I dont imagine this is usual, again I'd say depends on the yard

We have to buy from YO who adds a charge for storage and delivery (from barn to tack room!) She only supplies straw bedding so all those on other types like mine on wood pellets pay an extra £1/ week livery

Yes, all are wormed together, and we buy the wormer off the YO at a good price because she can buy in bulk. Usually falls in line with field rotations

DIY (inc stable and daytime only turnout) £21/ week. Pretty good facilities too, big floodlit outdoor, jumping field and off road hacking access

*If on DIY livery, can you expect the yard to check on the horses stabled/grazing regularly to make sure all is well while your not there? Yes, there are checked every morning, all 100+ horses and then checked at lunch time but not as thoroughly (YO or staff, just stands at field gates and checks, each field contains 1-5 horses max) and then again at 9-10 o'clock before yard is locked.

*My loan horses owner is away for a week (hes outdoors full time, DIY, just on grass) and said when she goes away its his holiday too and that the yard will check on him to make sure hes well, therefor she doesnt need me to take over for the full week, is this the case with other DIY liveries? Generally so.

*I once spent a few days volunteering at a livery and one morning was asked to turn a horse out, it was heaving with rain and he hated coming out of his warm, dry stable into the muddy field then just stood there looking miserable, if it had been my own horse i would have left him in were he was happy and comfortable but i was told i had to turn him out regardless because it was his and his owners routine, is it possible to make personal arrangements with part/full livery such as "turn my horse out every morning but if the weathers terrible leave him in"? Yes, we have a chalk board on our stable doors and you just write your requirements on the board and it is always followed to the letter.

*If on DIY livery, whos job is it to remove droppings from the field, horse owners in turns or does the yard just do it? Dropping are chained, however the horses moved fields every few weeks so it doesnt get very full (Three horses in 8 acres)

*If on full livery can you make up a care plan that is personal to you so that your horse will be cared for in exactly the way you want or do most yards do things in their own way? Yes, just write it on the chalk board if it is short term or you must go see the YO and inform her of yours horses routine on a regular basis, however the cost may be slightly more.

*If on full, can you still come and go as you please to take over any work whenever you want? Yes, its your horse you can do what you want.

*If on DIY do most liveries still supply your hay/straw (at extra cost?) or do you have to get your own from somewhere? We have to buy Hay and Straw/ Shavings and feed from onsite, at very reasonable prices and will order in a new type of feed or bedding if requested.

*Do all of the horses on a yard have to stick to the same worming plan? Yes a worm count is done regularly and then the horses with worms are given wormers.

*How much does your livery cost DIY/PART/FULL? DIY £33 (Over 13.2) or £24 (Under 13.2) Part Price Dependant, Full £61

It depends on the yard you are on, but these answers apply to my yard:

My yard is a working farm, so the owner isnt that horsey. However, there are 30 horses on our yard, and everyone is willing to help out and I know people check on Molly when Im not there.

Not always. I'd maybe go up just to make sure.

Quite a lot of the time, if I cant get to the yard myself, I tell people to use their discression. Im sure as part of a part/full livery contract you can make these requests.

I'm DIY and we all do out own fields. There's 4 in my field, so we all tend to muck in together... no pun intended.

Again, I think this depends on the yard.

My friend was on full/working livery at a riding school, and she had to inform the YO of her plans in advance so they knew whether they could use her horse for lessons or not.

Our farm supply their own. It is included in the price in winter, but we have to pay extra for it in summer.

Yes.

Im on DIY. It costs £71 a month in summer. It's about £100 in winter.

Our yard do informally check the horses through the day, Monday to Friday anyway.

At our place the owners either check the horses in the field or bring them in for a bucket and a brush even if they aren't working.

Ours will.

Our fields are too big to poo pick, so this doesn't arise at our place.

I think this varies from yard to yard to be honest.

As does this, but you should be at liberty to come and go as you please.

Ours is supplied by the farm or bought in by them, but you can import your own if you want to (and there's room to store it).

Yes.

I think DIY with a stable costs me about £20 a week. As far as I know 7 day full livery is about £80 pw in our part of the world.

usually at my yard there are always someone up there during the day, everyday

most times, yes

at my yard, there are people who turn your horses out and bring them in, but if the waether is horrible some do say to leave them in.

our fields get chain harrowed every week to two weeks.

it might vary

yes, you should be able to as it is your own horse/pony

at our yard, hay and straw is bought in from the YO and you have to pay for it seperatly from the rent. hayledge is bought in winter only and is is extra cost and you have to buy your own shavings in all year round

yes ours are wormed evey 3 months where they stay in the stable on worming

DIY livery is £26 per week, at our yard, which includes free use of: jumping paddock, xc course, floodlit schools, and we pay for things like the maintance of the land, fencing etc, and stable and field

newrider.com