A fall on my 1st lesson back!

Bow24

Sep 1, 2008
Romford
Hi Everyone,

At 24 I started riding for the first time last yr and took lessons for around 9 mths. Unfortunately due to work commitments I then had to take around 6 mths off. But finally I changed jobs and got my weekends back. So Saturday I took the plunge and returned to my RS and began with 1/2 hr of flat work and then 1/2 hr of jumping.

My flat work went pretty well, although a little rusty. Then 2/3rds of the way into my jumping lesson disaster struck. I went over a cross pole in canter and on the corner I somehow lost a stirrup and before I could do anything the horse went over the second jump, resulting in me going one way and the horse the other!

This was my first fall and after coming down with quite a thud, I knew I had to get myself up, dust myself off and get back on. This I did and then attempted the jump again, and with success this time :)

Although a little sore today, with quite a wack to my back I am determined to get back on next weekend and attempt those jumps again.
I just know I will spend the week worrying and stressing about it and then be so uptight before my lesson. I guess thats only natural after your first fall and I'm sure there will be many more! :eek:

good on you for getting back up again, this can happen to the best of us, maybe ask your RI to do some work without stirrups and maybe some small cross poles without stirrups when you are ready.

everybody falls off, and you got back on and jumped which is brilliant :D

a nice hot bath with some radox sorts you out after a tumble ;)

I'm awe that you jumped on your first lesson back! I've still not jumped yet!

I got bucked off on my second ride back in the saddle of a 17.2hh giant onto a rocky bridlepath, so I feel your pain!

well done on getting back on! Can't wait to hear how you get on next week!:D

i totally feel your pain

went out on a hack last night with my rs and my usually bombproof hard to get moving ride thought she was a racehorse.

after tanking off with me (which i managed to ride out :) , she then did some squealing and tried tanking off with me again ( which i managed to nip in the bud ) then just as the front of the group started to canter , she started collecting herself to tank off again , tried to stop her and she ended up putting a couple of sharp spins and a buck in and i went out the side door, landed very heavily and am in serious pain today.
she also bleeding bit me before we even got out the yard so my arm is a lovely colour aswell :)

am seriously thinking about a body protector as recently everytime i have fallen its always on my bum/pelvis and im going to end up doing myself some real damage .

I am anxious about my lesson on Saturday but at the same time I am looking forward to it (as I always have). I appreciate just as much as anyone that a fall comes with the territory when riding but it still doesn't make it any less scary! :)
However I am determined not to let this get the better of me......

As for the body protectors, perhaps this is something I should think about investing in. Don't really know too much about them??

newrider.com