A diary of lessons and my return to riding.

chev

May 7, 2002
right here, right now
I didn't realise how nervous I was til I was introduced to Paddy on the ground and remembered just how high up horses are!

Started off just doing walk-halt-walk transitions until I felt happier and then we moved onto trot as well. Worked on proper cornering in walk and trot instead of letting him cut corners and actually got him going well. He was lovely; hard work at times to get him going off the leg but made me feel safe.

RI was lovely; she knows my health issues and worked with me and made me feel great. She said we can work at my pace with no pressure which is what I need.

As for the back protector I wore it on the way to the stables and once on board really didn't notice I was wearing it. We were inside out of the sun and the flies which helped with the heat problems (it was 30 degrees here today).

Got off at the end of the lesson with a huge grin on my face and can't wait to go again next week :biggrin:

YES! well done.

Never worry, we had a lass here last week who had not ridden for a few years, and she said the same, she got the shakes just before getting on. Then felt better once they were back ion the swing of things

It isnt easy for a grown up to have a lessons. And it is so good when there is no pressure. Very glad it made you feel so much better and that the bp wasnt a problem.

whoop whoop :dance:

Thats the way lessons should be in my opinion...leaving you grinning and wanting another :biggrin:

I have gone for the odd lesson at a riding school since buying Rubic and I still get nervous! I think it is totally natural, especially after some time off.

I'm glad you had a brilliant lesson and your RI is understanding and helpful! Here's to many more lessons!!! :biggrin:

Second lesson...

I had a new pony today, lovely little mare who made me feel safe as soon as I got on. We worked on my position (I have a bad habit of turning my elbows out for a start) and leg yielding.

Lots of trotting without stirrups to deepen my seat (my seat bones are achy already!) and trot-halt-trot transitions to get Pony to use her bum. RI says I need to get more bossy with her (Pony that is not RI) but I'm a bit scared of pushing her too hard in case she tanks off (I know she won't but there's always that little voice saying 'what if...')

We definitely need to work on my nerves (any tips?) but that said I really enjoyed today. My goal is to canter again; we take that as it comes whether it's next week or months away.

And again in spite of the nerves to start with I really can't wait for next week! :biggrin:

May sound really silly but when I feel a bit nervous when riding, I sing to the horse, it makes you relax somehow and so the nerves don't go to the horse so they don't get tense and you appear confident to them. I find horses also like the sound of your voice or being talked to.

Little half halts are useful to keep at a steady rhythm you are comfortable with.

Glad you enjoyed it and seems to be going well :biggrin:

I'll try the singing :biggrin:

We did a few half halts to get her to use herself properly but she's quite balanced anyway. RI told me I have a good position which made me feel great especially when I'd been trotting without stirrups.

Roll on next Thursday!

Sounds like you are doing really well. I agree with the singing! Another thing I do at the start of a lesson if I'm nervous is consciously tense and then relax each part of my body - face, arms, stomach, legs etc - it makes me realise how tense they were before I tensed them if that makes sense - and definitely helps my relax. I also breath in deeply and then let the breath out with a sigh, relaxing as I do so.

Week three and things are going well :biggrin:

We managed leg yielding, turns on the quarters and lots of trot work. Still need to bully her a bit more than I am and I still need to work on my hands but I'm sitting deeper already which feels great. The hardest part was getting off at the end; the front of the body protector catches on the pommel and I am not so athletic at the moment so I can't jump free.

Can't wait til next Thursday now. I'm thinking of booking two lessons a week (if I can afford to) and maybe we can get canter which I am both looking forward to and scared stiff about. We shall see...

In my case it was very important to work out whether I was nervous of the horse or of the RI. Mostly of the RI and people watching.

As for dismounting - what does your RI suggest?
Neither OH not I can dismount "properly". Have a look for our various NR threads on how to get off in full breast plate body armour - cavalry dismount. But I was taught that by my first RI.

Skib - I'm not sure why it worries me. I used to canter bareback and could tackle jumping and cross country without blinking. Now I get nervous just thinking about it. I am a wuss!

eml - that sounds like a plan. RI suggested that if I want to try for canter she could put me on the lunge if that would help. What are your thoughts on that?

It may work for you but I dont use it for novices and being on a curve can unbalance them.

Might sound bizzarre but years ago you recommended a school on Anglesea which did farm and beach rides which many of my customers have enjoyed.

I wonder if they might help you. Certainly after a break when I lost my alltime favourite horse I found cantering in the school challenging even when I trusted the horse ( mainly because the oldman and I worked totally off thought aids!!) However along came Poundstretcher and without thought we went out on a hack and cantered on the first grass verge we came to.

Its not your inability to canter which is the issue it is your inner H&S brain trying to look after you.

Just have fun, don't push for it and it will happen!

newrider.com