A diary of lessons and my return to riding.

Well had another lesson today. Same mare who is very sweet but does take the mick if she thinks she can get away with it :giggle: - gave my legs a good work out anyway!

I managed to get on without getting my body protector caught on the pommel for the first time so that was a good start (previous lessons have started with me ending up impaled on the front of the saddle before we even begin :eek: ) and she set off nicely enough for me.

First we did walk-trot-walk (walk for four strides, trot for four, walk for four, trot for four) which I found harder than I thought I would. Holly (sweet mare) needs forewarning before transitions or she pretends she's forgotten what you were asking for and goes into plod mode. RI told me I need to watch my hands; I'm still having hassle with keeping them still but I have problems with shaky hands anyway (side effects of the meds I take include tremor - anyone else have similar problems and maybe a remedy?) so she had me ride with my fingers hooked into the neck strap to keep them low and still. It helped but only minimally.

Then more leg yielding; my left side is my weak side but on my right side I actually got her into an outline for a whole length of the school :biggrin:

We also did a lot of sitting trot and half halts which have worn my seat bones out big time.

From next week I'll be having two lessons a week. Still haven't managed that elusive canter but I'm actually feeling like I can ride again :happy:

Next lesson is next week and I'm thinking I might try for a canter.... we shall see....

Well I still haven't cantered. Beginning to feel frustrated with the whole thing now. Getting on and off has been mastered at least.

I can manage halt to trot and trot to halt, I can do turns on the forehand, I can do leg yielding. But I am still scared of cantering. RI keeps saying progress is being made and I can feel that but it's still such a big step to canter in my head. :banghead: The Pony Club kids were there before me today and I watched them bombing round doing Chase Me Charlie and thought why the hell can't I?

Came away feeling despondent to be honest.

Got another lesson tomorrow and I'm seriously thinking to ask to try a canter on the lead. Makes me feel like a right wuss but it can't be any more so than I am now. :cry:

Is it possible that cantering might not seem such a big hurdle if you were to try for it first out on a gentle hack? Is it possible for one of your lessons be you and your RI hacking out together on a sensible horse to perhaps try it first on a gentle incline, with your horse following hers into canter?

I always feel that if you are feeling nervous, going up the gears on a circle in a school is far more challenging and worrying than out hacking?:unsure:

Not sure whether they do hacks there but I'm there again tomorrow so I will ask. I have this fear that I'll be unbalanced or get taken off with which is pathetic - this mare is trusted with the PC kids and looks after whoever is on board.

One day I will post that I have cantered. It's just a matter of time, right? :unsure:

Yes it is just a matter of time, so don't beat yourself up. If you say you hope to be cantering by this time next year, then that is grand.......in reality you are more likely to be cantering by this time next month. :smile: Forget all about a time scale, when the time is right it will just happen, just forget about it for now and concentrate on everything else. I suspect before you know it you will be happily cantering away again.

I am supposed to be doing a flat out gallop around a field on Dolly by September. Damn good job I didnt say which September isnt it?:redface::giggle:

I agree so much with Cortrasna - there is so often a kind of compulsion to canter and it is entirely unecessary. To my mind there are two vital elements to learning to canter.
1. Will a new rider fall off if their horse gives unsolicited canter? How do you feel about this Chev?
2. Canter when eventually taught - maybe on the lunge - should be effortless. Just a few steps and no being frightened nor risk of falling. Both my OH and grand daughterhad their first canters that way. Both ofthem love cantering and neither of them has fallen off - not totally ceretain that the child didnt fall off jumpung? But anyway it is far better to relax into canter and to find it fun than to force yourself into it.
I post this as a late canterer - what does a year or two with no canter rmatter when you get the long term enjoyment.
I also post it as someone who like you returned to riding after being ill. I dont think I cantered at all forthe first few months - and then again when I started hacking we went on gentle walk trot hacks for a long time. It takes a year or two to get fit and get riding again.

I did it! I cantered!

I had a similar lesson today as to yesterday. Ten minutes before we were due to end RI suddenly said "How do you feel about a short canter?"

And I thought no, not today, I'm too nervous, My grip on the reins isn't right, I need to deepen my seat more, I need more notice than this... and while it was all going through my head my gob said "Yes!" :help:

First attempt resulted in a trot a Hackney would have been proud of and I thought I'm just too crap to do this. RI said try once more so we did.

And I got canter! :bounce: :dance:

It was only a few strides but this is on a mare who doesn't usually canter if she can get away with it and I was gobsmacked I'd done it and let her fall back into trot.

Came out of my lesson with the biggest grin ever. We need to work on my canter no doubt about it but now at last I know I can do it :dance:

It's really great to read this.
Most of all Thank You for being so open about things. It makes the rest of us feel less hopeless when somebody so experienced has a case of the nerves too.

Glad to see you are back at it. :)

What can I say! And there was me giving you a month or so, and you gave it barely 24 hours - brilliant to read.:dance:

It's like ripping of a band aid. Now you've had a go, maybe it won't play on your mind so much. I had a similar experience when I returned to riding and waited a while before trying. Well done Chev. Onwards and upwards x

No looking back now!! Its often the sticky ones that break that barrier, I think the fact they stop all to easily is often the mental breakthrough!!

KarinUS I think every rider goes there sometimes, usually in our heads and takes a bit of shifting!!

Last edited:
Karin, eml is right. Nerves can hit anyone are any time. I'm glad if it helps someone else through it. I still have a way to go; I'm already worrying about next lesson but I know now that it can be done, which is the first hurdle out of the way.

I will keep you up to date (for anyone interested!)

well done on the canter :) i found it took me a good few months when i started riding to build up the muscles in my legs to strongly ask for the canter signal and for them not to drop back down into trot!!!!!!!

sivlerstar; I found it hard to keep her in canter but those few strides put the biggest grin on my face!

Today's lesson was good; some work on shoulder in in walk, work on a proper big trot and best of all two canters :biggrin: Short canters but canter non the less!

We aim to work more on canter tomorrow... we shall see how I get on with keeping the canter going...

Well I haven't posted in here for a while. Lessons have been going slowly to be honest and left me a bit disappointed.

Then we had today's lesson. Lots of leg yielding that just fell into place somehow and no fewer than four decent canters :biggrin:

For half an hour it just felt like me, neddy and RI and nothing else mattered.

I'm still struggling with bringing my elbows in thanks to the body protector but we're not sure how to get round that. Any ideas?

Things started off quietly till a dog got stuck in a bucket on the other side of the arena wall (yes I know that sounds dim) and Holly (neddy) leapt sideways snorting like a dragon. I actually sat it with no real problem even though it's the last thing I'd expect Holly to do and it got my heart pounding for a little while! Once she'd got over the shock of dogs-in-buckets we got some really nice work out of her. RI said my lateral work is coming on nicely now so that helped make my day too.

Next lesson is next Thursday - can't wait! Especially after the canter work :dance: I will make an effort to keep this updated too :mstickle:

It does sound good. Your balance so good that you didnt fall in the spooks.
The disappointment (my feeling) is what happens as one progresses with any subject in lessons. In the first lessons, starting from nothing, you learn a lot of new things.
But later, there are fewer visible milestones - it feels like a plateau.
It happens with languages and learning a musical instrument too.
But in riding, OH would say what matters is saddle time - it is the saddle time that made you soft and balanced enough to sit the spook.

Skib, I think you're spot on about the plateau. I rode Paddy again for the second time on Thursday and he was very slow off the leg. I know he'll go nicely for the right rider but just felt like I was struggling with him to get him to go forward. We did some pole work to get him to move his bum under him but I felt like I was all over the place.

Then yesterday I rode Holly again. What a difference! We didn't canter but I got really good trot and halt-trot-halt transitions which is usually difficult with Holly because she doesn't do good transitions if she can get away with it! RI said it was the best she'd seen me ride so the :biggrin: was back on my face again! We did lots of pole work and some shoulder in, quarters in and turns on the forehand and she actually started to work forward into the bridle.

We do a lot of similar work each week but I can see why now. I felt like I'd really achieved something yesterday. For the first time I felt like I fitted in the saddle if that makes sense. In the past I've felt a bit all over the place (like I did on Thursday) but yesterday I felt secure and balanced for the whole lesson. I need to believe in myself more and just enjoy it instead of piling pressure on myself to perform.

Getting on and off is easier too now so I must be getting more supple than I was; still keep getting my bp stuck on the pommel though! :giggle:

Is it a bp with a strap running across the front? They are known to be tricky.
Might you consider dismounting like we do, cavalry fashion with your left foot still in the sitrrup? It is suggested for less able bodied in the Pony Club handbook, so is acceptable in most riding schools.
I ask because that method was designed for soldiers wearing breast plates and allowed them to keep the ceremonial uniform clear of the saddle. The problem with some bp designs would be similar.
I agree about not putting pressure on yourself.

newrider.com