A 'Bit' of a general knowledge quiz..

Those snaffles are not weymouths they are surely bridoons???? designed to be used with a weymouth of some description.

I used to work packing up "Eldonian" bits. Had to wear white cotton gloves! They are or were made in China and Polished and finished in the UK so they could put the words made in England on them!

I just wondered how many of these bits are used and noticed that not one of them comes with a description of what they're supposed to do, or have reviews.. So thought, I wonder if other New Riders have used them, and how they would describe their action?

Well as said the first one is designed to be used as part of a double bridle along with a curb bit of some sort.
It's generally got a much narrower mouth and much smaller rings than a normal loose ring snaffle.

I have to say at some point with some horse I have used most of these (or other manufacturers versions) except the Sprengers and NS. The only exceptions I can see are the ball cheek (never seen one) and the american gag which I dislike!! If anyone is really interested I could do a commentary on why/when etc but it would be long!!

Challenge for those who like searching, I need an eggbut lozenge bridoon (not french link!) to go with a fixed cheek weymouth for a particularly fussy horse!!

Last edited:
newrider.com