8 years old, just been backed...

Werehorse

Jan 3, 2005
Cumbria
Visit site
I'm browsing through horse for sale ads, as you do. Just seen a gorgeous mare that has just been backed at 8, having been used as a brood mare up until now. I've seen a couple of others with similar stories as well.

What do people think about that? Does being backed late affect the horse in any way? Does it make them less trainable? Or could it be a good thing?

Any thoughts?

If anything it would be better, horses don't compeltely mature mentally and physically untill alot older than people think.
Obviously it varies from horse to horse breed to breed but I'd say there is absolutely nothing wrong with horses being backed later, if anything it may mean they are more comfortable with being introduced to knew things, as long as they have been handled, and know stable manners etc.

My fjord wasnt backed until she was 9 as before i had her she was a brood mare, she is a little stubborn but then the fjord breed is in general i think! She is keen and steady and mostly laid back about everything which i think is due to her age. For us i dont think it was a bad thing

In my opinion, id prefer a horse that had been backed later, because all of their joints and bones are fully developed and they shouldnt be as babyish mentally. :smile:

On the other hand it could indicate a problem...I have 6yo we are still unable to saddle let alone back (amongst other complex issues) Various experienced professional people having been trying since he was 3!

People often decide to have a foal from a young mare if they present hormonal issues that makes backing and riding away difficult, it can be but is not always a solution.

My friend backed two older horses (I think they were 8?) that had been a driving pair. Fabulous ponies! Wish I had the money to buy one of them, she's gorgeous and a fab little thing temperament wise.

xxx

On the other hand it could indicate a problem...I have 6yo we are still unable to saddle let alone back (amongst other complex issues) Various experienced professional people having been trying since he was 3!

People often decide to have a foal from a young mare if they present hormonal issues that makes backing and riding away difficult, it can be but is not always a solution.

If it has been backed (as opposed to "8 years old, ready to back") would it be safe to say that there isn't a problem now... I guess it would be a case of going and finding out more about the individual horse wouldn't it?

newrider.com