6 weeks on with Ben....

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
Can you believe that it is 6 whole weeks since I got Ben. We are doing fantastically well. He has settled down into the herd and been accepted by all the other horses. He isn't the leader, but he doesn't take any bullying either. He goes out overnight and comes in for about 6 hours during the day for feed and hay.

I feel that I am starting to get to know him. I am starting to understand where he likes being groomed and scratched, knowing that he will only drink the cleanest of water, finding out that he poos in the same place but wees for England.

Ridden wise we are doing great. In the school he is pretty lazy and has some evasion techniques which we need to work on (ie he finds it easier to canter rather than do a really nice working trot). He likes to decide when we are going to stop trotting or cantering, and can be nappy towards the gate, but these are small things to work on. I have been out hacking in company and have recently mastered riding in one of the huge fields all on our own. The other day we had a lovely long canter across the whole field and it was fantastic.

The real surprise is how well he jumps. I didn't jump him when I tried him and didn't think that this was really that important to me, but he loves it. We have only done small cross poles so far but he really picks up and clears them fantastically well. We are going to aim for the 2 ft 3 summer jumping series on my yard in the summer.

I haven't had any lessons yet, but will start these in February time. My husband is changing jobs so hopefully we will have more cash. We might have less cash but I am trying not think about that!

I haven't got any pictures to put up, but will do soon. Just wanted to share how happy I am with my perfect horse. The only downside (other than having no money at all!), is how tired I am. I go and see him everyday and ride him most days. By 9pm I am ready for bed!

MaryP that was a wonderful post and I know how special Ben Makes you feel when you together. I ride my boy every day and like you by 9PM I am knacked and ready for bed but he brings me so much joy as Ben does to you. It also means you get that bond so much faster and learn all the small little ways he likes to be ridden,

Lokking forward to reading about 2012.

newrider.com