48 hours until we leave

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
With only 48 hours to go I'm sat here at 8.30am nursing what will be a hangover once I sober up :p Damn that 18th big gypsy birthday party, couldn't not go though it's a good friends daughter.

We have got almost everything together now for our 130 mile ride, just going to double check it all against the lists today, I have given jess this week off to store up some energy, popped her on the lunge yesterday as expected her to be pretty pingy and she was just totally chilled out so she did a total of 6 mins and I put her out on the good grass for a little while. Were going to go out for a short plod today, a little leg stretch and mostly to give my friend some confidence before we leave after she took a flying lesson last week, she broke her fall with her face but is otherwise fine apart from very bruised fingers from trying to hang on to her horse as she fell.

I'm feeling good about the ride, the nerves haven't kicked in yet but I'm sure they will soon. We're as ready as we can be, I'm just hoping the storms clear out before Tuesday, yesterday I drove through the worst rain and lightning storm I have seen in years, fork lightning actually coming down in the fields alongside the road and everyone doing 40 on the motorway because of the rain. The forecast says they will clear, and by the end of the week temps will hit 24c which is almost as bad news, I have a camelbak which I will take if it reaches those temps so I can give jess little showers as we go, not sure what else I can do for her, we will leave early but with 8 hours of riding it will be hard to leave early enough not to get caught in the heat at all.

Wowser! I would be pretty excited if I were you. You sound like you've got most things covered. Will look forward to hearing about it all.

I am totally in awe of your plan to do 28 miles each day (bar the middle one)! Albi and I managed 16 miles a fortnight ago and that took us from 11am til 6.15 (but then we had some tough steep terrain and were mostly going at ploddy-cob speed!! :p)

The best of luck to you and I hope the weather is kind x

I would be tempted to hit the road at 5am. If its hot I don't sleep anyway.
Hoping you get nice weather with a breeze.

Fingers crossed the weather is kind to you and all the best for your trip mrs, looking forward to hearing about it when you get back - and kudos to your mate for still going ahead after a fall, hope she's ok - hopefully the ride will do wonders for her confidence.

Good luck! Remember to keep yourself hydrated and hope you have packed some padded knickers!! enjoy!!!

Good luck, hope it all runs smoothly. Really look forward to hearing about your epic adventure!

Good luck, although I'm sure you won't need it! Have an amazing time - I can't wait to here all about it on your return :)

newrider.com