3.5t box - question of horse getting into living area

nicolaj

Mar 8, 2005
Sydney Australia
I've been looking around at the 3.5t boxes, but have recently been reading a lot about horses getting over the partition into the day living area, fire service being called out etc.

What should I be looking out for in these boxes to make them as safe as possible for the horse?

I've heard some people suggest a slope in the roof? Not sure what this looks like or how it works.

Any experiences or thoughts would be interesting.

Basically look for easily detachable breast bars and infills. If you look on the Theault web site they are a top range, unfortunately with prices to match, but have all the safety features from detachable bars to back doors big enough to use for an escape route in an accident.

Don't forget also the need for a proper bulkhead between the horse and cab...some conversions look as if the horse could join you if you had to brake severely.... oh.. and minimum weight for maximum payload!!

I have just had my new 3.5 tonne lorry delivered the other week.

On mine I have the anti-weave type bars so they can't jump through. These are removable so you don't need to use them.

The breast bar and infill has bolts that mean you can detach it in an emergency and pull it down. The back door is also an emergency exit and is very wide, enough to get a horse through.

I'm pleased with mine, although I haven't actually been brave enough to drive my horse in it yet! Have been practicing driving and loading though.:rolleyes:

Mine was built by a guy who does a lot of the racing industry people so has a lot of safety features.

Izzy isn't quite as excited by the new lorry as I am though. ;)

newrider.com