25 and just started riding

peaches_magic

Sep 18, 2008
Hello all. I'm Tracey and 25 years old. Just started riding lessons and never really had much experiance of riding before the lessons. Unless pony rides on a farm being lend by someone when I was a child count :) or two group pony trecks, one when I was 16 and one a few years ago. These I felt like more of a passenger then a rider as the horses follow each other and you just get a nice look at the senery. After the last pony treck I kept wishing I knew how to ride but only resently had the money and the courage to go for lessons. WoW I'm now realising how much I've missed out on. I am obsessed with riding now. I wish I could go more often but only manage a lesson a week so far. I started my lesson and they were half hour, after my second lesson I realised I wanted hour lessons insted so started to do hour lessons. I've had 8 lesson which makes 7 hours of lessons upto now and have another lesson on friday. So far I have learnt how to do rising trot and sitting trot, done trotting poles and raised trottong poles, canter and leg yeilding and I think it's called turn on the forehand, not sure. I've riden two different horses, Banjo and Issie. I started to learn how to canter on Banjo in my 4th lesson and was just getting the hang of it but then started to learn on Issie who is a bit of hard work to get moving so feel that I need a lot more work on cantering. I have some pictures of me in my 5th lesson and I'm riding Banjo. After seeing these pics I realised how badly I lean forwards at times. I can assure you I am already much better than the pics show from my that lesson. I still tend to lean forward a little at times but less often. Any tips on how to go into canter on a stuborn horse would be very welcomed. Thanx for reading.

Attachments

• DSC00405.jpg
    DSC00405.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00406.jpg
    DSC00406.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 85
Hi, welcome to NR! You look like you're really enjoying yourself on a horse, you look good! In regards to your position, you seem to carry your hands quite high. Lowering them slightly will help, also if you bring your bum more underneath your body, this will enable your legs to be in the rihgt place to give correcter, firmer aids to a lazy horse. Hope this helps?

i agree, lower your hands and sit up nice and tall and look through the horses ears, relax also and you will find the horse will listen to you too, try to kick just behind the girth to get a stubborn horse going and use your voice too, always good to give some vocals, helps you too. my boyfriend is just starting riding too and he is 29, working it though, slowly but surely. i think he learns more on a lazy horse,.

Hi guys, thank you both so much. I love this site as it's so helpfull. I agree with you both and I can assure you I am doing much better with my possition now but your advice is still great for me to think of when I'm riding. I still on the occation sit leaning a little but I guess in time I will get better and remember not to slouch as much. I am enjoying the lessons so much. Send a lot of time laughing even when I can't get my horse to canter I laugh. I don't know why I find it so amusing. I feel it will come in the end. Once my riding and posture improves I'm sure getting into canter will be much easier. Good on your fella starting to learn. I hope he enjoys it as much as I do. I agree the stubborn ones teach you a lot more. You really need to get things right or they walk all over you. I see it as a challenge. Patients you defo need to have for this sport.

well done for deciding to learn, it will all come to you after more lessons, I have had 4 lessons recently after 22 years not riding,I too have a problem getting into a canter and keeping the horse going lol, what i was doing was leaning on the withers while using my legs, to keep my balance, last week I didnt have the problem but the horse I rode was more responsive that the ones ridden in the forst lessons
In a years time you will laugh your leg off at your antics Im sure...we all have to start somewhere, your doing well :)

I'm sure your right about looking back in a years time LOL. I 'm glad I'm not the only one who stuggles getting into canter. I too do the same as what you describe but stopping doing it is hard to learn right now. I too struggle keeping them going so I see me and you are very similar. I know one day it will click. I keep trying and it'll sink in one day.

welshgirl, just seen your post. How very sweet of you. My RI's do say I'm seem to be a bit of a natural but I just think they are being kind. Banjo is also a sweety. That day the pics were taken he was having a bad day can you belive. Wasn't listening to me at all. Still after around 15mins he did wake up. I'll get more pics on Fridays lesson and be happy for any advice. :)

Last edited:
newrider.com